Author Topic: Got my CM QuickFire Stealth RMA replacement and...  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Rufkme

Got my CM QuickFire Stealth RMA replacement and...
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:28:56 »
The thing is a brick.. how is this possible?

The keyboard's LEDs turn on (Only the CAPS LOCK and SC LK) but they don't respond nor any of the other keys. 

I have tried they keyboard in 3 different computers 1 mac and it always behave the same.

Am I cursed? Should I demand something from CoolMaster for not being able to use this keyboard since the say i bought it (couple months now) due to defects even after the RMA replacement? I'm really upset...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Got my CM QuickFire Stealth RMA replacement and...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 21:46:58 »
The thing is a brick.. how is this possible?

The keyboard's LEDs turn on (Only the CAPS LOCK and SC LK) but they don't respond nor any of the other keys. 

I have tried they keyboard in 3 different computers 1 mac and it always behave the same.

Am I cursed? Should I demand something from CoolMaster for not being able to use this keyboard since the say i bought it (couple months now) due to defects even after the RMA replacement? I'm really upset...

Um..

stuff happens bro..   relax..

Call up Coolermaster, it's under warranty for sure..   see if you can get cross shipping and a free label.. since the bad news struck twice on ya.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:38:30 »
Can you try a different cable?  Could be something as simple as a defective cable.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:44:58 »
interesting, usually the lock lights blink when there is an IO error when the KB initializes over PS/2.

I recommend testing a different cable, then opening it up, whipping out your test equipment and diagnosing the issue. If you don't want to do that (understandable, repair work is not for most people) then your best option is to RMA it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:47:51 »
If it is still under warranty, definitely do NOT open it, as this usually requires removing a "removing this sticker voids your warranty" sticker.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:49:31 »
On my QFRs, the lights cycle on/off just as a matter of course when I plug/unplug.

Are you using the board with USB or PS/2?

A different cable is definitely a good first step. If you just got it from a RMA, it's almost definitely still under warranty coverage, and don't open it.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:04:51 »
On my QFRs, the lights cycle on/off just as a matter of course when I plug/unplug.

A different cable is definitely a good first step. If you just got it from a RMA, it's almost definitely still under warranty coverage, and don't open it.

the OP's kb, only 2/3 of the lights blink. Standard procedure for a PS/2 KB power on selftest is to blink all the locklights, and some USB do the same.

I only recommend opening the KB if you want to fix it yourself. Otherwise I said not not open it and return it instead.

B'sides, those warranty stickers mean nothing at all in a lot of countries.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:10:40 »

the OP's kb, only 2/3 of the lights blink. Standard procedure for a PS/2 KB power on selftest is to blink all the locklights, and some USB do the same.

I only recommend opening the KB if you want to fix it yourself. Otherwise I said not not open it and return it instead.

Quickfire stealth only has two lock LEDs, the other LED is for the windows lock, and it shouldn't blink on power-up.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Rufkme

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:12:54 »

Initially the USB but I have tried the PS/2 and two other cables.

The two lights power up as soon as I connect it without blinking and stay on.

It has to be hardware, even though I wish I could easily solve it, I think I will need a replacement. Hopefully this third time they keyboard works and for a good period of time.

I'm disappointed with CoolMaster however. One would think that they test their RMA replacement before shipping.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:17:33 »

It has to be hardware, even though I wish I could easily solve it, I think I will need a replacement. Hopefully this third time they keyboard works and for a good period of time.

I'm disappointed with CoolMaster however. One would think that they test their RMA replacement before shipping.

That happens very occasionally with my boards as well, usually it means I have a bad connection and need to replug the cable. In your case, there might be a bad internal connection, perhaps on the mini-usb daugherboard or between the two.

I had to RMA a cable from Cooler Master once. The first cable they sent me was for the wrong board. The second cable they *said* they would send me never arrived. The third cable was the right one, and fortunately it worked. I don't complain because I got a free cable out of it -- conveniently enough, I had just bought a RK9000 that didn't come with a cable, so that solved several problems :P

That said, I know it can be frustrating, but they do usually get it right eventually. Hopefully another RMA will solve it.

Offline Rufkme

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:41:12 »

That happens very occasionally with my boards as well, usually it means I have a bad connection and need to replug the cable. In your case, there might be a bad internal connection, perhaps on the mini-usb daugherboard or between the two.

I had to RMA a cable from Cooler Master once. The first cable they sent me was for the wrong board. The second cable they *said* they would send me never arrived. The third cable was the right one, and fortunately it worked. I don't complain because I got a free cable out of it -- conveniently enough, I had just bought a RK9000 that didn't come with a cable, so that solved several problems :P

That said, I know it can be frustrating, but they do usually get it right eventually. Hopefully another RMA will solve it.

Yeah I just filled another RMA form just in case. Luckily their RMA office is 1 hour from my home, still a bit bummed I have to keep wasting money and time on shipping this thing.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 01:25:08 »

Yeah I just filled another RMA form just in case. Luckily their RMA office is 1 hour from my home, still a bit bummed I have to keep wasting money and time on shipping this thing.

I think at this point it's worth calling them and asking if they'll send you a prepaid label or something.