Author Topic: what do you think about realforce?  (Read 5461 times)

Offline overthetop

what do you think about realforce?
« on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 03:29:19 »
Hi fellows,

I'm planing to buy myself this baby (https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se070s). Can you give me some feedback on this? Is the elitekeyboards the best place to buy from in USA?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: what do you think about realforce?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 03:52:53 »
RF = great quality.

I wouldn't get a variable, though. I much prefer uniform 45g or 55g.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 05:19:10 »
It's the only place (apart from classifieds), unless you want to import. However, getting the keyboard from Japan might be a good idea under certain circumstances.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 06:17:57 »
Duplicate thread btw ;)

RealForce is great - one of the few keyboards a would really like.

Variable weight (as you have linked) is great if you only do typing, say typing of words (as opposed to programming).  For gaming it sucks.

The only thing is that there are very few replacement keycap sets available for Topre keyboards :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline overthetop

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 06:29:14 »
yeah, sorry about the duplicate, don't know how that happened.
I will use it mostly for coding and typing, no gaming any more (I guess I will play quakelive.com once in a while) :)
Do you guys know from where to get even lighter switches, something like 30g ?

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:21:32 »
I just sold my Realforce 89s (30g switches)
But in general I was very happy overall with the quality of Realforce.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 07:24:19 »
Do you guys know from where to get even lighter switches, something like 30g ?

Only ways are to modify an existing keyboard by swapping the domes you want or by importing a 10th anniversary model with 30g. Luckily for you, someone has done the former and is offering such an example for sale. See this thread. It seems expensive but is actually a lot cheaper than acquiring a 10th anniversary.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:15:37 »
I love my realforce board, it is solid and really is a great typing experience.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:37:29 »
don't think feeel :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 10:51:20 »
This is so weird. I post my thread about possibly getting a Realforce for work, and I'll be damned if half a dozen other threads pop up helping me out with my eventual decision!
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 10:52:52 »
get a uniform realforce over a variable

55g seems to be the general consensus, but i love my 45g
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline JunkFace

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 10:57:27 »
I have a 104ub and I actually don't have a problem with the variable switches.  The build quality is great and I love the thing, I got it maybe 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier.

It's my first venture into topre, so I'm not a an expert in all the varieties of boards with this switch, but I can say I was surprised at how much I liked it, really it exceeded my expectations.

If I know what I do now I would have made the switch to topre much, much sooner.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:17:50 »
I have a 104ub and I actually don't have a problem with the variable switches.  The build quality is great and I love the thing, I got it maybe 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier.

It's my first venture into topre, so I'm not a an expert in all the varieties of boards with this switch, but I can say I was surprised at how much I liked it, really it exceeded my expectations.

If I know what I do now I would have made the switch to topre much, much sooner.
What's your favorite thing about it?

Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:19:47 »

Variable is fine, and IMO preferred, if you're not gaming. Playing Quake Live every other week is not a compelling factor for taking a uniform.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 11:36:35 »
Get the uTron...  that's really the only Topre board worth getting .. everything else is just a very slight upgrade over what's already sitting in front of you.

105wpm, not bad...   130 here.. I've hit the wall, and I'm old..

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 12:44:09 »
Quality vs price is dissapointing.

Feels like a $150 board in terms of quality, not $200+

I liked it a lot more after dental band modding.

I have both a 55g and a variably weighted 87u.

Will not comment on Topre vs MX.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:02:10 »
I like my 55g realforce. Still not some godly keyboard but it really is nice  :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:05:20 »

Variable is fine, and IMO preferred, if you're not gaming. Playing Quake Live every other week is not a compelling factor for taking a uniform.

missed that

i think you're 100% right
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:13:10 »
Man, I still can't get a damned consensus on which Topre to buy! Haha. I do game and type sometimes...
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:14:40 »
depends a lot on what games you're playing

if you're in need of a lot of APM, go MX

if you're not an SC2/quake pro, topre should get you by in pretty much every other situation

i prefer 45g uniform, personally

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:20:19 »
Man, I still can't get a damned consensus on which Topre to buy! Haha. I do game and type sometimes...

Think I mentioned this in your other thread, but if you like buckling spring and will be gaming, get the 55g. The feel, of course, will be completely different, but you'll probably prefer the heavier feel and snappier sound of the heavier Topre switches. If for some reason you don't like it, you could sell it here and pretty easily recoup most of your investment.

There's nothing wrong with Topre for gaming unless you're super hardcore.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:24:15 by saturnotaku »

Offline JunkFace

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 13:40:28 »

What's your favorite thing about it?

I love the topre switches and the overall feel of the board, super solid.  It's like typing on buttery delicious cherry browns, way smoother, they don't bottom out quite as harshly as browns (on a Filco Minila).

I donno it's worth it IMO.  Got mine used on the classifieds for $150, If you could find one at this price you won't be disappointed.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 14:14:31 »

Think I mentioned this in your other thread, but if you like buckling spring and will be gaming, get the 55g. The feel, of course, will be completely different, but you'll probably prefer the heavier feel and snappier sound of the heavier Topre switches. If for some reason you don't like it, you could sell it here and pretty easily recoup most of your investment.

There's nothing wrong with Topre for gaming unless you're super hardcore.

Excellent! My thought process is this: I'm going to use it for work, and if I like it enough I'll take it home. Although it's going to face some tough competition in my F-122!
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:09:56 »

Well thats your opinion but most will think it is worth $200. My opinion is that dental band modding ruins the tactile feel and limits the key stroke, it is an unsuitable method of silencing a Topre switch IMO.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:50:02 »

Well thats your opinion but most will think it is worth $200. My opinion is that dental band modding ruins the tactile feel and limits the key stroke, it is an unsuitable method of silencing a Topre switch IMO.

I think topre rectangle is worth $200.. but the import kills the deal..

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 15:57:34 »
Love realforce. Uniform 45g is my favorite. 104UB-DK.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:26:30 »
Do you guys really feel a benefit from going to a TKL? I've always wondered if I'll be better off ergonomically and prevent my shoulder joints from further wear if I go TKL.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:28:42 »
Do you guys really feel a benefit from going to a TKL? I've always wondered if I'll be better off ergonomically and prevent my shoulder joints from further wear if I go TKL.

Definitely.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:28:44 »

um.. it helps... but.. if you have shoulder pains..  a split keyboard would help more.

you don't HAVE TO get an ergodox.. you can get one of those ghetto split keyboards..

I would say ANY split keyboard is better than ANY rectangle keyboard  (ergonomically speaking of course)

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:31:23 »

Definitely.

That's what I've heard... I don't really need a keypad for any specific reason but I tend to use them for whatever reason.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:32:17 »

um.. it helps... but.. if you have shoulder pains..  a split keyboard would help more.

you don't HAVE TO get an ergodox.. you can get one of those ghetto split keyboards..

I would say ANY split keyboard is better than ANY rectangle keyboard  (ergonomically speaking of course)
I don't really have any shoulder pain per say, but I do workout at the gym about 5 days per week and my joints don't need anything else wearing them out.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 18:55:32 »
I used my realforce for years at work and locked it up at night.  I had to buy it myself, though, so when work finally got around to agreeing to replace the horrible Dell rubber thing with 10keyless Leopold with Cherry browns, I took my keyboard home, where it has supplanted my full key Filco, for the moment.

I absolutely benefit from TKL, the pain and ergo need drove a lot of this purchasing.  I still get shoulder pain sometimes, so I guess I could go for split, but honestly, making sure I take a break every two hours, move, rotate, relax a little, stop using my muscles to sit up straight and rely on chair, can keep that from happening.
I still prefer the feel of cherry brown to Topre, but when it comes to water\quiet, I prefer Topre.  I know, I could just get some landing pads, then probably care even less about my topre.
I do really like having my ctrl and caps switched on my Topre.
The only bad thing about TKL at work, is the stupid KVM switch I have, requires that part of the keyboard, at work, so I haven't been using my kvm yet.
Also gave my coworkers, who weren't touch typists, some relief, since the replacement had contrast lettering.
I bought mine 2nd hand years ago with variable weight. I haven't found it a problem.  I'd probably get a 45 uniform, though, if I had to buy again.  I think I'm heavy handed enough, when going fast there's no point dipping down to 30g, but I definitely don't want 55g.
I can't seem to keep my nails down, so typing is always noisy for me, unless it's a silicone jobby.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:12:52 »
I used my realforce for years at work and locked it up at night.  I had to buy it myself, though, so when work finally got around to agreeing to replace the horrible Dell rubber thing with 10keyless Leopold with Cherry browns, I took my keyboard home, where it has supplanted my full key Filco, for the moment.

I absolutely benefit from TKL, the pain and ergo need drove a lot of this purchasing.  I still get shoulder pain sometimes, so I guess I could go for split, but honestly, making sure I take a break every two hours, move, rotate, relax a little, stop using my muscles to sit up straight and rely on chair, can keep that from happening.
I still prefer the feel of cherry brown to Topre, but when it comes to water\quiet, I prefer Topre.  I know, I could just get some landing pads, then probably care even less about my topre.
I do really like having my ctrl and caps switched on my Topre.
The only bad thing about TKL at work, is the stupid KVM switch I have, requires that part of the keyboard, at work, so I haven't been using my kvm yet.
Also gave my coworkers, who weren't touch typists, some relief, since the replacement had contrast lettering.
I bought mine 2nd hand years ago with variable weight. I haven't found it a problem.  I'd probably get a 45 uniform, though, if I had to buy again.  I think I'm heavy handed enough, when going fast there's no point dipping down to 30g, but I definitely don't want 55g.
I can't seem to keep my nails down, so typing is always noisy for me, unless it's a silicone jobby.
Thank you so much for your valuable input to this thread. I may just check out the classifieds...

Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:26:51 »

I cant comment specifically on Topre TKL (yet) but I can say without hesitation I don't see myself ever going back to a full-size board. I was hesitant to go to TKL because I was always using the number pad for punching in IP addresses and what not, but after a few weeks of use I became as comfortable with the home row numbers as I was with the ten key pad. I actually prefer TKL for number entry now since I don't have to move my hands as far off the home row keys.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:29:58 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 14:08:03 by esoomenona »

Offline MahBoi

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 21:53:58 »

It certainly benefits me because I have very little desk space to work with to begin with. I'm perfectly fine using the number row for data entry and such, but if I ever find myself needing a numpad, I have an external one to use.

Just to parrot what everyone else has been saying here, my 86U is hands down the most comfortable keyboard I have ever used. Topres are so light and easy on the fingers.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 22:05:04 »
My 104UB-DK is the perfect board. Though one day Id like to get a 87UB and 23UB.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 September 2014, 22:36:09 by dustinhxc »

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 22:27:04 »
Damn these are all really good reasons. After my trip to Tahoe and assuming I have the scratch, I'll see about getting a Topre.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 22:40:55 »
I also vote for 45g or 55g.  Variable just feels weird and inconsistent.

Also like people said 45g and 55g are good for both gaming and typing, while variable sucks for gaming.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline JunkFace

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:25:54 »
I also vote for 45g or 55g.  Variable just feels weird and inconsistent.

Also like people said 45g and 55g are good for both gaming and typing, while variable sucks for gaming.

I actually don't mind the variable for gaming or typing, you might prefer the uniform 45/55g but if you can the variable for a good price I wouldn't rule it out.

Offline overthetop

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 02:30:01 »
The bad news is that I can't get the 'silent' edition and have the all-45g switches everywhere. :(. Don't see such an option...

Offline tbc

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 04:16:11 »
it doesn't exist AFAIK.

i'm surprised no one noticed that earlier actually lol.

people sometimes salvage parts from a silent board and a uniform board and make a silenced uniform.

or they do something called a dental mod.  that's just one way of silencing your board and i think there's at least one other.

basically, if you're not willing to mod (or pay someone to) and you need a silenced version, you MUST buy a variable silenced rf.  but a normal board is generally quieter than regular domes to be honest (you need fast typing speed to really make any noticable noise)
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:54:02 »
it doesn't exist AFAIK.

i'm surprised no one noticed that earlier actually lol.

people sometimes salvage parts from a silent board and a uniform board and make a silenced uniform.

or they do something called a dental mod.  that's just one way of silencing your board and i think there's at least one other.

basically, if you're not willing to mod (or pay someone to) and you need a silenced version, you MUST buy a variable silenced rf.  but a normal board is generally quieter than regular domes to be honest (you need fast typing speed to really make any noticeable noise)
Interesting! Learning about Topre feels to be a similar learning curve when I first got into mechanical keyboards a couple years ago.

Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:16:32 »
The bad news is that I can't get the 'silent' edition and have the all-45g switches everywhere. :(. Don't see such an option...

The only Topre keyboard that comes from the factory silent and with 45g uniform domes is the HHKB Type-S. The Realforce 87U silent comes only with variable weight. There might (and I stress might) have been silenced uniform models produced as part of the 10th Anniversary line. If they did exist, they were produced in very limited quantities and are extremely pricey - more than a new HHKB Type-S.

As far as modding a standard uniform Topre, sometimes just lubing the stems and placing the keyboard on a mat is enough. The RF 87U I use at home was lubed and also had thin silicone added between the top case and sliders. Dental banding is another possibility, but this reduces key travel to a point you might not like. The lube/silicone mod results in virtually no such reduction. Of course, there is the transplant option, but that would require more than one keyboard, which will hammer your bank account.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:25:05 »
Might as well add my initial impressions to this thread. Just got my 87U 55g uniform (in white) from EK yesterday, and I've only typed on it for an afternoon so far. I'd echo the sentiment that it feels like a really good rubberdome, however by really good I mean *really* good. I use a rubberdome at work most days, and it's one of the better I've used. But the RF's profile of the keys is far nicer, the keytravel is less muddy. The form factor and embedded numpad is very nice.

I started to get really worried about the weight as so many people report having pain from using it, but I don't see that becoming a problem for me. They're about the same, maybe slightly lighter than my Model M which I'm pretty used to. I have some dental bands on the way, but to be honest I'm pretty happy without them.

I also played a round of Counter-Strike with it last night, and I didn't mind it much. It feels a little awkward if you're spamming keys very quickly (qqqqqqqqqqq), but the crisp actuation is a nice feeling that solidly confirms your intent to press each key.

I got it for my new job I'm starting next week, and I'm looking forward to making it my daily driver there.

EDIT:
The RF 87U I use at home was lubed and also had thin silicone added between the top case and sliders.

Do you have a link or any info about the silicone you added? I haven't heard of that yet, but it sounds interesting. Does it dampen the upstroke clack?
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:27:53 by pr0ximity »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:27:37 »
After trying MANY different keyboards with various form factors, layouts, keycap materials, keycap printing methods, and switch types, I have finally narrowed things down to a few favorites. Here they are, along with some of my reasons for liking them:

HHKB Pro 2. I like the sound and tactile feel of Topre switches. They are like weighted piano keys on a real piano. The dye-sub PBT keycaps are beautiful, and I like the dry and slightly textured touch. I love the 60% form factor, and the layout is better than any I have ever tried. Now, when I use other keyboards, I remap the keys to the HHKB/Mac layout.

RF 87u 55g. Quieter more refined and solid sound than the HHKB; excellent tactile feedback. Lacks the somewhat annoying return-stroke "clack" of the HHKB -- although I think I might want to get a Type-S HHKB someday, the RF is so much quieter I don't feel the need to get a silent RF. Moreover, the silent RF is available only as a variable weight, and I think I would prefer the all-55g or all-45g. The RF also has beautiful dye-sub PBT keycaps. I got the black version, but I replaced the alpha, number, and arrow keys with blue keycaps; all the rest are black. Looks great.

The RF also has a number of other nice features, including an embedded numeric keypad, DIP switches for several useful settings, LEDs for CapsLock and NumLock, and no dedicated Fn key -- this is a plus for me, because I prefer to set up a Fn key using software so that I can map Fn functions the way I like them and end with with no dead keys.

I've tried the RF 87u black 55g, RF 87u black 45g, and RF 87u white 55g. They are all good, but my favorite of these is the RF 87u black 55g. However, I need legible keycaps, but I like a black case, so with the black RF I would replace the alpha and number keycaps with blue or white (or even yellow or orange, which are all available on eBay).

My other favorite is the IBM XT. I like the sound and feel of capacitive buckling spring switches and the look and feel of the IBM dye-sub PBT keycaps.

These three boards rank FAR above anything else I have tried. I have yet to find a Cherry mx switch that I like; it's as if Cherry mx boards were not playing in the same league with the current leading Topre-switch boards or the IBM boards of yesteryear.

Somewhere between Cherry mx and Topre or IBM capacitive buckling spring, I would put Matias tactile/clicky switches, Alps Monterey blues, Alps orange, and NMB Hi-Tek black space invader switches.

All things considered, the RF 87u 55g black is my favorite, but I also like my HHKB Pro 2 and IBM XT keyboards.

If RF were to make a 60% board in black with the HHKB layout, steel plate, and 55g switches, I think this might be the perfect board for me.

(Typed on my RF 87u black 55g).

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:55:09 »
Do you have a link or any info about the silicone you added? I haven't heard of that yet, but it sounds interesting. Does it dampen the upstroke clack?

It was not I who did the mod. Send a PM to exitfire401, as he's the one who did and from whom I purchased the keybaord. Yes, the silicone does dampen the upstroke noise, which to me is the most "annoying" thing about Topre (even though it really isn't).

While I love my 45g uniform, I don't like the black on charcoal keycaps, so I replaced them with the whites from my RF 87USW and a set of red RF ones I bought on eBay. I wouldn't change a thing about this, save for putting a yellow Esc/blank or any kind of CC/Bro cap in the Escape's place.

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 September 2014, 13:59:57 by saturnotaku »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:17:57 »
Piano Key weight, good reference! I am typing with my HHKB and it forsure feels like that, wow!

I agree, White keyset on the black case is ideal!

Yes, Type S HHKB is the only 45g Silenced.
I use dental bands from ebay on my boards. Also krytox lube.  :thumb:

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:26:27 »

It was not I who did the mod. Send a PM to exitfire401, as he's the one who did and from whom I purchased the keybaord. Yes, the silicone does dampen the upstroke noise, which to me is the most "annoying" thing about Topre (even though it really isn't).

While I love my 45g uniform, I don't like the black on charcoal keycaps, so I replaced them with the whites from my RF 87USW and a set of red RF ones I bought on eBay. I wouldn't change a thing about this, save for putting a yellow Esc/blank or any kind of CC/Bro cap in the Escape's place.

Show Image

Gorgeous keyboard; nice work dude.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:31:25 »

Show Image

I've seen the red Topre caps on eBay, but before I saw your board, I couldn't imagine wanting to use red kecaps for anything but an Escape key. After seeing your board, I really like the red modifiers against the black case. Thanks for posting the pic!