Author Topic: So I bought a Gaming Laptop With the GTX 870M...  (Read 3358 times)

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
So I bought a Gaming Laptop With the GTX 870M...
« on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:37:45 »
...then yesterday Nvidia released the mobile Maxwell series. I can now get my laptop with the GTX 970M, but it ships tomorrow with the 870M...

What the hell.

This is all bull****.
KBParadise V60 with Cherry MX Browns | Corsair K60 with Cherry MX Reds

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Re: So I bought a Gaming Laptop With the GTX 870M...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:49:02 »
Well enjoy the phone call you're going to have to make

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:49:57 »
Well enjoy the phone call you're going to have to make

I already e-mailed my account manager, but they won't be able to read it until 9am tomorrow...T.T

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:52:31 »
Haha, mine has GTX 860M and I got it like what.. 2-3 months ago ?
Time flies, it's gonna be expensive if you wanna keep up with tech.
But then again, if I'm in your situation I'll defo give them a call. :D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline sobe

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:17:27 »
Call them and demand to not only give you a new laptop, but give you 1/3 the price of the laptop in in-store credit as well! DEMAND IT IS AN OUTRAGE!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 20:00:44 »
Gaming laptops eh?

Show Image

"multimedia" laptop. i need that 120fps on dota on the go yo.  :rolleyes:
jokes aside, hopefully this laptop would hold up until I finish my studies.  :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:30:43 »
Gaming laptops eh?

Show Image

It fits my needs =p

But yeah, I just thought it was ridiculous enough to share. The upgrade tacks on an extra $130 to the total as well as a possible week (maybe even two) of added waiting for the thing to arrive. I've used my current laptop extensively for over two years, so I'm very eager for my new rig.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:02:53 »
Gaming laptops eh?

Show Image

It fits my needs =p

But yeah, I just thought it was ridiculous enough to share. The upgrade tacks on an extra $130 to the total as well as a possible week (maybe even two) of added waiting for the thing to arrive. I've used my current laptop extensively for over two years, so I'm very eager for my new rig.

is there a specific reason you need gaming on the GO ?

I mean.. I've seen people play dota in the library.. but i never understood WHY... why not go home, with the better chairs, better snacks, girl friend gives you BJ under the table..

WHY dota in the library..   so you can have other people see u play dota in the library.. i just don't get it..

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:06:23 »
Gaming laptops eh?

Show Image

It fits my needs =p

I mean.. I've seen people play dota in the library.. but i never understood WHY... why not go home, with the better chairs, better snacks, girl friend gives you BJ under the table..

WHY dota in the library..   so you can have other people see u play dota in the library.. i just don't get it..

A few years ago, on the week before finals, I saw some guy carry his 32" tv from his dorm to the library so he could play WoW.   :p  People are nuts.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:12:21 by trizkut »

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 22:26:39 »
Gaming laptops eh?

Show Image

It fits my needs =p

I personally don't like being tethered to my desk all the time when I game. I maybe spent less than a total of 24 hours with my laptop on my desk in the past two years until the screen broke after an accident, after which I hooked it up to an old monitor.

I have invested a lot in peripherals for this new laptop, though, so I'll be spending more time at the desk than I did before. However, the difference between having a laptop instead of a desktop is that moving about becomes pretty instantaneous in the case that I don't want to be at the desk anymore. It's a luxury I've grown very accustomed to, and having to spend a good twenty or so minutes to lug around heavy components just so that I can move fifteen feet to another room isn't something I'd ever trouble myself with.

Laptops also accommodate my college lifestyle a bit more, so they'd get much more daily use than a desktop ever would. When I'm not studying (which I'm usually not) I have a plethora of Steam titles to plow through in whatever coffee shop/library setting I'm in. And yeah, I'll shamelessly admit to having spent hours sitting in a McDonald's booth playing Dragon Age and Mass Effect on more than one occasion.

I just think I'll get my money's worth out of it =p

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 22:35:45 »
So a quick update:

I managed to replace the original order for my laptop and actually ended up getting a lot more for my money than I originally paid for. Not only do I get the 970M in my system, but I also got a free two-year parts replacement and shipping warranty (a $169 value), premium $41 packaging ('cause it's a wooden crate), a "new" $37 OS I've never used (Windows 8.1 pro for the same price as 7 pro, which I originally chose), LCD screen calibration ($50), and a $100 Slappa laptop bag.

Sans the OS, I was basically given $360 worth of stuff for free. Taking away the $131 difference between the 870M and the 970M, I still got over $220's worth without having to pay a cent extra.

The only downside is the new estimated shipping date is October 30th--three weeks from today  :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 22:45:54 by notsonerd »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 23:01:24 »
all in all I'd say not bad! I'm glad they hooked you up.

Take pictures of the wooden crate when it comes in.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 23:39:36 »
all in all I'd say not bad! I'm glad they hooked you up.

Take pictures of the wooden crate when it comes in.

I'm pretty sure I just got really lucky with the timing. I tried customizing the same system later today and the two-year warranty was no longer free. Maybe that was their way of "hooking me up." Their new Halloween promo also provided free ground shipping for the system itself, something I paid a good sum for originally. It also helped that I down-graded to Windows 8.1 pro from Windows 7 Ultimate. Why or even how I chose Ultimate in the first place is beyond me.

And yeah, there's no way I'm not taking pics of this thing. Waited too long to not do so =p

Offline sobe

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 23:48:01 »
That's awesome to hear! Glad you got that sorted and even got something better in the end.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 00:43:53 »
The wait is worth it :p

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 01:05:19 »
I always say it's quite fortuitous to buy something right when it comes out  :p

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:13:30 »
Thanks, guys. I just wish word of Nvidia's new mobile GPU had gotten out sooner. This is my first time buying "the latest thing." Does tech always come out on such short notice?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:17:27 »
Thanks, guys. I just wish word of Nvidia's new mobile GPU had gotten out sooner. This is my first time buying "the latest thing." Does tech always come out on such short notice?

Yes, it does. Your **** is old the second you buy it.

One of the most amazing things in regards to this was when EVGA started their step-up program. I loved that.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 07:21:32 »

Yes, it does. Your **** is old the second you buy it.

One of the most amazing things in regards to this was when EVGA started their step-up program. I loved that.

That really sucks. I bought the laptop expecting to have gotten the best specs I could've in that form-factor, then that happened.

I mean, maybe I'm lucky that it happened the day before it was supposed to ship, but I was still like, "Are you ****ing kidding me," for two hours after the fact.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 03:24:56 »
Nice result! I hope your V60 fits in the laptop bag, you're gonna need it with for gaming on ;)  :thumb:

I've been running on a dual GTX460 system for a LOONG time now, still does what I need it to. I used to keep up with every second generation of GPU, usually getting the one with most overhead for overclocking at an acceptable price point, often the one just below the flagship or two steps lower. With OC'ing I usually got better in-game performance than the flagship at default speed (water cooling FTW). Then I became a father.... priorities shifted a bit. I don't game much any more, but when I do my old system still handles just fine.

I think the only reason I'd upgrade at this point is to get one with hardware ShadowPlay support. Or if WoW starts to render poorly.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline notsonerd

• Here for the secrets
  • Light My Fire
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 06:58:29 »
Nice result! I hope your V60 fits in the laptop bag, you're gonna need it with for gaming on ;)  :thumb:

I've been running on a dual GTX460 system for a LOONG time now, still does what I need it to. I used to keep up with every second generation of GPU, usually getting the one with most overhead for overclocking at an acceptable price point, often the one just below the flagship or two steps lower. With OC'ing I usually got better in-game performance than the flagship at default speed (water cooling FTW). Then I became a father.... priorities shifted a bit. I don't game much any more, but when I do my old system still handles just fine.

I think the only reason I'd upgrade at this point is to get one with hardware ShadowPlay support. Or if WoW starts to render poorly.

Thanks =) I'm happy with it. The laptop bag is pretty huge so it should be able to fit my textbooks, laptop, keyboard, lunch, girlfriend...pretty much everything I own in it =p

That's a four year-old GPU xD To my knowledge, dual-GPU's doesn't exactly double performance, does it? You could probably get a 750ti for cheap and maybe get better performance. $50 more and the 760 should make a noticeable difference. But the 970 would effectively kill your dual setup. Just saying.

Sorry to hear you don't game much anymore. You should definitely get your kid into it =p
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 October 2014, 07:00:09 by notsonerd »