Author Topic: Are there such things as Topre key testers?  (Read 7740 times)

Offline calvinhousecat

Are there such things as Topre key testers?
« on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 14:47:05 »
I am really curious to try out a Topre board(and in love with the sound of them) and was wondering if there were any Switch testers I could buy. I tried googling but got no results so maybe I'd thought GH would know some hidden links I probably am not aware about.

Thanks

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
Re: Are there such things as Topre key testers?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 14:49:38 »
Unfortunately not. :/
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 14:51:38 »
Unfortunately not, there's only 3 topre switch weights(30, 45,55).  The only thing I could suggest is that if you live in the Southern California area, you could schedule a tour of Elitekeyboards' showroom where you'd be able to try out all the different variants.  Topre keyboards hold their value very well, so worst case scenario is if you do buy one you're not satisfied with, you could sell it for a slight loss and purchase another that might be closer to your preference.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 14:52:55 »
You don't NEEEED a topre tester..

BECAUSE

Topre feels almost exactly like regular Rubber dome keys.

The typical rigid older rubber domes are ~ 60g

The newer thinner cheapo rubber domes are anywhere from 30g to 45g

Topre will FEEL exactly like rubber dome..  so there's no reason to build a topre tester..

The typing transition timing will feel different on the Topre, and the board itself more responsive due to this..  but that is a product of the 2mm actuation point.. NOT the mechanical nature of the action..

the mechanical nature of topre switches are identical to the keys already in front of you.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 14:57:58 »
Ah gosh darn, thanks for the fast responses guys I appreciate that.

Unfortunately not, there's only 3 topre switch weights(30, 45,55).  The only thing I could suggest is that if you live in the Southern California area, you could schedule a tour of Elitekeyboards' showroom where you'd be able to try out all the different variants.  Topre keyboards hold their value very well, so worst case scenario is if you do buy one you're not satisfied with, you could sell it for a slight loss and purchase another that might be closer to your preference.

Hmm I searched up their address on Google Maps and it seems that they are located 1hr and 30mins away from me. Hmmmm maybe I will schedule a mini road trip to see whats up. Thanks for the info, I didn't even know they were located in SoCal  :))

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 15:02:15 »
Then you should definitely go visit them! You'll get to try a lot of other keyboards aside from Topre as well, if you want to. :)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline saint_james

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 16:01:35 »
Ah gosh darn, thanks for the fast responses guys I appreciate that.

Hmm I searched up their address on Google Maps and it seems that they are located 1hr and 30mins away from me. Hmmmm maybe I will schedule a mini road trip to see whats up. Thanks for the info, I didn't even know they were located in SoCal  :))

I drove three hours to visit the EK storefront and it was totally worth it (for me at least) to actually try the different keyboards and switches.  Brian was very nice and I highly recommend you make the trip if you can.
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 16:08:59 »
There have been topre key testers over on deskthority forums.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 16:42:53 »
There have been topre key testers over on deskthority forums.

GHers are smarter, and know that a Topre tester is completely redundant and pointless. 

Offline saint_james

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:59:50 »
You don't NEEEED a topre tester..

BECAUSE

Topre feels almost exactly like regular Rubber dome keys.

The typical rigid older rubber domes are ~ 60g

The newer thinner cheapo rubber domes are anywhere from 30g to 45g

Topre will FEEL exactly like rubber dome..  so there's no reason to build a topre tester..

The typing transition timing will feel different on the Topre, and the board itself more responsive due to this..  but that is a product of the 2mm actuation point.. NOT the mechanical nature of the action..

the mechanical nature of topre switches are identical to the keys already in front of you.

Agree with TP4 that Topre are, in kinesthetic terms, rubber dome switches. Their electrical actuation (capacitive) is different from most common RD, but that is another discussion.

Nevertheless, my perception is that Topre switches feel significantly different (and better) than common rubber dome over membrane keyboards (i.e. the Dell keyboards at work, my cheapo Logitech keyboards plugged I use with my Raspberry Pis, my Microsoft Natural ergo keyboards, etc.).  For me, it was worth the extra effort an $ to get a Topre keyboard. 

Others feel differently, perceptions vary, YMMV and all that.  Ultimately it comes down to each individual's personal preference and their willingness to part with money to get what they want. 
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:02:28 »
Why do I feel like there are 35g topre switches? Maybe I am just making things up...

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:48:29 »
I thought 35g was in the variable weight ones, but I could be wrong.

anyway, there's a topre keychain but I wouldn't call it a tester. Just go find a guy with a topre board near you and borrow his.

Offline Vizir

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:22:10 »
I'm not sure if this would qualify as a topre switch tester, but RealForce gives away keychains with a topre switch at some events (from what I've heard). Here are some photos

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:26:45 »
Anyone know of a source for Topre keychains?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Vizir

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:35:08 by Vizir »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 09:44:04 »
Why do I feel like there are 35g topre switches? Maybe I am just making things up...

I thought 35g was in the variable weight ones, but I could be wrong.

anyway, there's a topre keychain but I wouldn't call it a tester. Just go find a guy with a topre board near you and borrow his.
You guys are right, my mistake.  I think the 30g switches are only found on uniform keyboards, and the 35g switches are located on pinky finger keys on variable weighted models.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:21:19 »
Hmm, I kinda want a keychain.  I'll likely never get a chance to purchase a topre keyboard or use one in person, so I think it would be neat to get to feel a switch on the keychain.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:56:23 »
Anyone know of a source for Topre keychains?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Realforce-Keycain-w-Blue-PBT-Dyesub-Keycap-/330896362942

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Realforce-Keycain-w-Red-PBT-Dyesub-Keycap-/331222530845

this is where I bought mine from.

edit: I would be up for selling the one I have, if someone is interested.

I wanted one before but I could never justify paying $60 for 1 key switch lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:57:21 »
I was going to say theyre on ebay. I have 2 of them. A Type Heaven and Realforce Keychain. Only difference is the keycap. The Domes are the same weight, 35 I think?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 16:27:29 »
What ever happened with those CTRL ALT keychains? Was that just like a giveaway thing?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:42:24 »
Nevertheless, my perception is that Topre switches feel significantly different (and better) than common rubber dome over membrane keyboards

YMMV but I think Topre have nothing to do with typical rubber dome switches. There's a spring inside the topre switch and you definitely notice that "springgy" feeling. The feeling is so different than a typical rubber dome that I attribute the feeling of the topre switch mostly to the spring, not to the rubber dome.

Here's a picture from my Topre switch tester (I got it from a "bag" full of switches, I think from someone on Deskthority) :

80314-0

Now I'm not sure a single switch "tester" like that is enough to determine if you're going to like Topre or not but you can already definitely notice it is "springgy".

P.S: Cool double-shot "CODE" key compatible with Topre switches coming from a Brother AX-20 or AX-26 printer  :p
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 17:47:19 »
^ pretty cool. i'd love to try out the exotic switches like buckling springs and Alps but there are no meets in Europe, and it's not feasible to purchase a full board just to test out a switch type

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:09:06 »
Honestly, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to just grab a keyboard anyway.  They have really good resell value, so you wouldn't lose much and if you get a good deal on something used via ebay auction you might not lose anything or even make a little (I just saw an 87U sell for $143 + shipping).  Better than getting one of those keychains IMO.

Offline Kisuaca

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 18:19:12 »
I agree. Just go for It. It's totally worthed.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 20:55:12 »
Thanks guys!