Author Topic: Any Ottawan Geekhackers?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Any Ottawan Geekhackers?
« on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:05:44 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29724907

Hope you guys and everyone living in SE Canada is doing alright.

Whoever these guys are, I hope the police kick the **** out of them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:35:54 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
Re: Any Ottawan Geekhackers?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:20:41 »
scary ****.

my one fear is that capital hill will change.

I love bringing people from out of country to capital hill because it is so open and friendly. people play hackysack on the front lawn next to people protesting.
it will be really sad if that changes

its already sad that this happened.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:28:50 »
scary ****.

I love bringing people from out of country to capital hill because it is so open and friendly. people play hackysack on the front lawn next to people protesting.

I just wonder what the hell western intelligence operatives are doing if they go around raising the threat level AFTER something like this happens. I think it will be interesting to see what Canada does about it's gun laws after this.

My thoughts go out to the reservist's family. Pretty powerful pictures of passers by trying to keep him alive at the foot of the war memorial.

Show Image

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:30:35 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:33:24 by esoomenona »

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:31:11 »
scary ****.

I just wonder what the hell western intelligence operatives are doing if they go around raising the threat level AFTER something like this happens. I think it will be interesting to see what Canada does about it's gun laws after this.

My thoughts go out to the reservist's family. Pretty powerful pictures of passers by trying to keep him alive at the foot of the war memorial.

That was heartbreaking to see.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:33:33 »
be safe out there
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:35:42 »
Tragic. I hope there are no more incidents, and that the community and country are able to heal. Prayers for the soldier's family.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:53:40 »
gun laws

I hate that that's the first place to go after an issue of this sort.

We don't even know who these guys were, and yet this is probably what is going to happen.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:15:36 »
It was pretty scary downtown today. My building was in lockdown and we couldn't leave. :( I work only a few blocks away from Parliament so we heard a lot of sirens! Craziness...
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:33:04 »
I think it will be interesting to see what Canada does about it's gun laws after this.

Canadians don't carry guns around them. Pretty strict regulations already with every hunting rifle being documented in the books.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:36:47 »
I think it will be interesting to see what Canada does about it's gun laws after this.

Canadians don't carry guns around them. Pretty strict regulations already with every hunting rifle being documented in the books.

Yea. The thing about guns in Canada is not about the right to own/carry a gun. It's already legal to own a gun (hunting at least) and NOT LEGAL to carry a gun unless for specific reasons (like you go hunting or to a shooting range). It's only about the registry.

But what happened is sad, very

IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:32:38 »
It was pretty scary downtown today. My building was in lockdown and we couldn't leave. :( I work only a few blocks away from Parliament so we heard a lot of sirens! Craziness...

Good to hear you are alright!

Offline divito

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:34:53 »
Being in Canada, and in Ontario even, I'm not totally sure why this is making such a media frenzy everywhere. Because he was a soldier? Between overseas deaths and other murders in our country, they don't get a lick of publicity like this has.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:50:26 »
Being in Canada, and in Ontario even, I'm not totally sure why this is making such a media frenzy everywhere. Because he was a soldier? Between overseas deaths and other murders in our country, they don't get a lick of publicity like this has.

Because it's a terrorist attack. Yeah it's not on the same scale as Anders Brevik, 7/7 or the Mumbai shootings, but it is still a public shooting in a Western city where people have died. The fact that he is a soldier is relevant because he was a reservist protecting a war memorial. It's kind of a massive **** you to western culture in general.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:19:06 »

One soldier being interviewed answered this pretty clearly: He said that when he goes to war (or in a country at war), he knows that there's a risk he can be killed or maimed, but it's part of his job and he knows it and accept it. It does not make it less dangerous, but he does it while being aware of it.

When a soldier gets back to his country, he comes back knowing he's now safe. I am no soldier and know none, but it's easy to understand that a soldier will suffer a LOT of stress when deployed in a country at war and that coming back to his country must be a HUGE relief. Feeling unsafe back home because of a terrorist must be hard to take.

It's still probably a very punctual act, but it's still sad and must be hard for the other soldiers. I am not pro army and much less pro war, but I still understand that all of this is not caused by the soldiers themselves and anyway Canada has never used their soldiers except to help another country or to help maintain World peace (as far as I know).
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:34:16 »
Also, as a reservist, you don't really expect to be in any danger, and the likely hood of you being deployed is pretty low as well. Standing at war memorials is a purely ceremonial job, and even the soldiers outside Buckingham Palace don't have rounds in their rifles, so you really don't expect anything to go down.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:34:53 »
For other people out of the news-loop, here is an article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/world/americas/canada-parliament-gunfire.html?_r=0
Gunman Panics Canadian Capital, Killing Soldier in Rampage
Tragic indeed. I will read some more.

Offline divito

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:48:23 »
Because it's a terrorist attack. Yeah it's not on the same scale as Anders Brevik, 7/7 or the Mumbai shootings, but it is still a public shooting in a Western city where people have died. The fact that he is a soldier is relevant because he was a reservist protecting a war memorial. It's kind of a massive **** you to western culture in general.

The gunman had terrorist affiliations? A murder is a murder, not a "terrorist attack" or "an attack on freedoms." That junk is used as propaganda and by the media. Harper pulling the terrorist card is pretty infuriating, especially since he'll use anything before the election. I haven't read exhaustively regarding the shooting, but as far as I understand it, there are no terror links yet with the shooter. He's just another murderer who was gunned down.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 22:49:13 »

The gunman had terrorist affiliations? A murder is a murder, not a "terrorist attack" or "an attack on freedoms." That junk is used as propaganda and by the media. Harper pulling the terrorist card is pretty infuriating, especially since he'll use anything before the election. I haven't read exhaustively regarding the shooting, but as far as I understand it, there are no terror links yet with the shooter. He's just another murderer who was gunned down.

I'm guessing you missed the part about him attacking the parliament building and actually dying inside?

Terrorism is defined as the unauthorised use of violence or intimidation in the pursuit of political aims. How is attacking Parliament NOT going to be for political aims?

Offline tbc

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 01:28:26 »

location, location, location?

unless people get shot alot more often by parliament than i realized.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 16:38:57 »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 19:39:23 »
pretty well known american media is **** with tragedies.

jeebus forbid it's a school shooting.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Altis

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 20:34:59 »
Just wanted to say that the international support has been heartwarming to us here in Ottawa.

I was lucky to have been working just West of the city that day (and I live in the West end). It made for a pretty chaotic day though.

It seems that it was a solo act. I don't think gun laws have much do to with it as people can access them regardless if they so choose.  We do have them, but you can't carry them around (ie. for hunting or target only).

It's a crazy world, and we're all in it together. The singing of the Canadian anthem at the Pittsburg hockey game was a touching reminder of this connection.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline iri

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 05:13:53 »
every hunting rifle being documented in the books.
it's not enforced in alberta.
pew-pew.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury