Author Topic: IBM Model M Rivet Replacement parts souce? And some other questions.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline shut up

Hey guys, I'm new here and fairly recently bought my Model-M in unknown condition for $5.00 at a pawn shop. I've got about $20 into it, including the proper adapter for USB and about $7.00 set aside for keycaps.  :)

I plugged it into my PC, and what do you know? Some of the keys weren't working. After a bit of research, I'm thinking a rivet replacement would be in order.

My IBM Model M model #42H1292 made on 7/01/97 in the United Kingdom. I've just got a few questions before I get this thing back into action!

1. Can somebody tell me how many nuts/bolts I'd need to fix it, and the proper size?

2. The cheapest place to find new internal parts since when I bought it, the casing was filled with dead roaches. (Yuck)

3. The best way to diagnose whether a rivet replacement would fix my problems.

Here's a picture from when I first bought it. (Yes, it's nasty) BLEACH BLEACH BLEACH.

Once I cleaned it up a bit, and removed the roaches and nasty accumulations of grossness.

IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: IBM Model M Rivet Replacement parts souce? And some other questions.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 19:50:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have a look here - lots of information about bolt-modding a Model M.

Also making stuff together has lots of Model M refurbishment threads.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:15:14 »
In reply #21 I showed a packing slip for the nuts and bolts you want. McMaster-Carr is a great supplier in the US and very fast shipping. That order shows 4 packs of 100, but 50 is adequate for a Model M bolt-mod.

If you can wait 2 weeks, you can order them from China for much less.

The 42H from Greennock is the most problem-prone M in my experience.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 21:44:56 »
In reply #21 I showed a packing slip for the nuts and bolts you want. McMaster-Carr is a great supplier in the US and very fast shipping. That order shows 4 packs of 100, but 50 is adequate for a Model M bolt-mod.

If you can wait 2 weeks, you can order them from China for much less.

The 42H from Greennock is the most problem-prone M in my experience.

After your update, I changed the OP to have correct links to mcmaster-carr items

About ordering chinese bolts: it's up to you, but the mcmaster ones are higher quality. Quality chinese bolts exist but it's really hard to know which ones are before you receive them.

As far as the numbers of bolts, I believe it's about 58, but I order packs of 100. You can get by with as few as about 15 though if you're really on a budget.

Offline shut up

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:42:39 »
Thanks for the link man!  :thumb:
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:49:33 »
bolt is better..  just get a cutting disk and attach it to the power drill if you can't find the right length bolts.