Author Topic: my first topre board...  (Read 2767 times)

Offline skuko

my first topre board...
« on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:44:57 »
wanted to wait for the novatouch, but i just saw this and could not resist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281398041346

going to be my first topre board, using MX reds. i seriously hope i will love it and become a member of the master race :)

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
Re: my first topre board...
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 07:00:40 »
wanted to wait for the novatouch, but i just saw this and could not resist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281398041346

Show Image

going to be my first topre board, using MX reds. i seriously hope i will love it and become a member of the master race :)

Damn fine board, my favorite topre keyboard :P congrats on your purchase
sell out and eat ass

Offline skuko

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 10:41:14 »
i sure hope it is just like on the picture, that's pretty much the only thing i was missing on the FC660C, two tone default caps.

Offline remdell

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 14:26:25 »
I'd love to see pictures of it when it arrives.  My printed FC660C continues to be my most used and top favorite Topre board.  I'd honestly get every model FC660C if I wasn't too busy striving to get an HHKB and some novatouch stems.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 21:44:43 »
if that had been available when I was sort of looking for HHKB, I might have bought that instead!

No regrets with HHKB though :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 21:46:41 »
I really like my fc660c.  It's got a nice feel and is an ok alternative to the hhkb in my eyes.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 22:10:51 »
Great choice! My 2 boards are realforces. I love the Leo though!  :thumb:

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 22:25:29 »
that is a damn fine looking board all switch preferences aside.

that thing looks retro and new all at the same time. very cool :thumb:

Offline skuko

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 03:09:37 »
when it comes to the layout, i have found that i need a relatively large right shift and a dedicated arrow cluster and preferably also a delete key at the very least :)

didn't really like 75% boards (noppoo choc mini) and i didn't like poker II either (no arrow cluster). this the leopold looks like a good crossover between a TKL and and a 60%, so i will try that. also, it's much cheaper than getting a RF in EU (almost 200 GBP) and they don't even stock a 45g uniform version, only 55g uniform, or a variable one.

fingers crossed that i will like it :) dyesub PBT two tone caps are a nice bonus.

(using a Filco TKL at home with reds and at work with blacks - both with imsto thick PBT caps).

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 03:12:58 »
i never tried topre :-X
Show Image

why? :))
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 03:21:09 »
Congrats, hope it works out for you :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline skuko

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 03:24:21 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 October 2014, 04:43:08 by skuko »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 03:34:34 »
Been eyeing that myself.  Nice pick up. :thumb:

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 21:11:25 »
"topre board using MX reds"
what??

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 21:16:40 »
Making my next purchase soon and my final two choices were FC660C and HHKB Type-S.

Type-S won out in the end but good choice!
null

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 21:18:33 »
what??
I think he meant that he is currently using mx reds
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline skuko

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 07:22:46 »
what??
I think he meant that he is currently using mx reds

correct you are, sir. a very poor choice of syntax on my part, sorry.

yes, i am currently using mx reds at home and blacks at work.

Offline skuko

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 19:10:12 »
got the board today, was all stoked, and then i found out that it's somehow only 2KRO? is that true? if so, i will have to sell it, i can't use that :( gonna have to wait for the novatouch or something.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 21:48:09 »
got the board today, was all stoked, and then i found out that it's somehow only 2KRO? is that true? if so, i will have to sell it, i can't use that :( gonna have to wait for the novatouch or something.
but aren't topre switches capacitive so they always have NKRO? it might be something on your end

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline skuko

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 04:13:49 »
but aren't topre switches capacitive so they always have NKRO? it might be something on your end

no idea, but the board didn't register more than 2 simultaneous keys pressed in planetside 2  :X

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 04:58:07 »

the HHKB is most definitely not NKRO, it is 9KRO with mods.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline skuko

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 06:52:35 »
i think i was doing something wrong :)

i just tested it with keyboard tester and it's 6KRO.

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 07:18:37 »
Fine keyboard, I still prefere HHKB's because of the layout.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 08:50:36 »
The FC660C was my first Topre as well. I liked its solid sound and feel. At the time, Leopold didn't offer the nicer keycap choices that are currently available; that, plus the fact that the layout was not quite to my liking, prompted me to give the board away. Now I use a RF 87ub 55g at home and a HHKB Pro 2 at work, but if I hadn't bought these, I would be tempted to get a new FC660C with its great-looking keycaps.

Offline shut up

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 09:01:31 »
Very cool looking keyboard! I'd like to try a Topre board but this one is a lot out of my budget :P
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline skuko

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 18:49:26 »
The FC660C was my first Topre as well. I liked its solid sound and feel. At the time, Leopold didn't offer the nicer keycap choices that are currently available; that, plus the fact that the layout was not quite to my liking, prompted me to give the board away. Now I use a RF 87ub 55g at home and a HHKB Pro 2 at work, but if I hadn't bought these, I would be tempted to get a new FC660C with its great-looking keycaps.

i'm thinking of getting the novatouch, just because of the layout and put imsto PBT caps or cherry doubleshots on it. i'd get a 55g RF, but getting one in EU = either impossible, or almost 300 euro (with shipping) from keyboardco, which is a big nono for me.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 19:10:26 »
I have a Novatouch. The quality is not as good as Realforce, but the typing feel is better than any Cherry mx board I have tried. I put a set of Imsto dye-sub PBT caps on it; these look good, but some of them fit very loose on the stems. I hope that CM will produce a second-generation Novatouch that addresses some of the issues in the first release.

Regarding PBT keycaps, Leopold has a set of unprinted ones that are very good quality at a reasonable price. They are available from a Korean reseller on eBay. These caps fit better on the Novatouch than the Imsto caps do.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 20:18:13 »
Very cool looking keyboard! I'd like to try a Topre board but this one is a lot out of my budget :P
Topre Type Heaven can be had for 150 brand new or less for used (I'm selling mine for 120 shipped FYI in excellent condition)
null