Author Topic: Need Help Painting a Hand Held Video Game Console (NGPC)  (Read 1660 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Need Help Painting a Hand Held Video Game Console (NGPC)
« on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 15:56:17 »
Recently I've been getting into playing games and collecting on the Neo Geo Pocket Color handheld console. It's a Game Boy competitor that came out in 1999 and made by SNK.

I managed to find a silver console for very cheap but it's in rough shape and was missing the battery doors. I then found another one in better shape and I'm going to keep that one stock. My plan for the silver console is to do SupremeJudge's front light mod and then paint it. That's where I need some help.

I know Photoelectric has a guide for painting keyboard tops. I think that's mostly applicable except for the fact that I don't touch my keyboard tops as much as I'd touch the whole NGPC. I'm not sure what paints I should use.

I'm probably going for an adhesion coating, followed with Krylon or Montana Gold as the color, and a clear coat. But I'm not sure if there's anything else I'm missing.

Hopefully someone can help me out :D

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Need Help Painting a Hand Held Video Game Console (NGPC)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:37:45 »
you're going to want to get the best clear coat possible at the end that resists UV and acids/oils...  That's the only thing I can think of because the rest is spot on.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 19:46:08 »
I've done the Gameboy Light mod on one of my NGPC, never tried painting one before though. I would remove/sand down the base coat first though, since the paint on NGPC's sometimes chips off leaving black spots.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:16:35 »
you're going to want to get the best clear coat possible at the end that resists UV and acids/oils...  That's the only thing I can think of because the rest is spot on.

Can you suggest a good clear coat? And I've read that some paint jobs do

1) Adhesion layer
2) White paint
3) Color paint layer
4) Clear coat

That seems like overkill to me but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I've done the Gameboy Light mod on one of my NGPC, never tried painting one before though. I would remove/sand down the base coat first though, since the paint on NGPC's sometimes chips off leaving black spots.

Was that front light mod hard? I've read it's tricky fitting the screen back into place. And that's not a bad idea but I was hoping I could just spray over it and it'd be fine.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 20:45:50 »

Can you suggest a good clear coat? And I've read that some paint jobs do

1) Adhesion layer
2) White paint
3) Color paint layer
4) Clear coat

That seems like overkill to me but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Was that front light mod hard? I've read it's tricky fitting the screen back into place. And that's not a bad idea but I was hoping I could just spray over it and it'd be fine.

is there really a paint that can handle, being handled.. ?