Author Topic: Black Batch  (Read 8395 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Black Batch
« on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 15:34:41 »
Got a batch of blacks, 110x salvaged switches from user [ Whiskeytango ]. Good guy, fast-shipper.

Separated batch (of switches) into 4 degrees of smoothness

Very smooth: 24 switches

Smooth: 31

Scratchy: 35

Very Scratchy: 20

Now, to get to the bottom of what makes a smooth/scratchy black... Is it the "vintage plastic" nonsense ?

stems from Very-Smooth switches + housing from Very-Scratchy switches= Scratchy

stems from Very-Scratchy switches + housing from Very-Smooth switches= Smooth

I swapped all 20.. same results on each..

I tore into my Ergodox.. to find out more.. (previous stems were Clears, so I can't compare certain things directly)

Swapped stems from "Very smooth" switches into "Lesser Used keys, [], prtscn, capslock,-=\`"   
_____The results was Very-Scratchy.

I then swapped stems from "Very Scratchy" switches into Commonly used keys (E,S,T,A,I,Space, etc, etc)..
_____The result was "Very-Smooth"

Hope this is helpful for those rolling linears looking for smoothness..  It has more to due with Wear than it does with mythical vintage-blackness...

If you really want that buttery boob-cloud on a "NEW keyboard",  the best way is to flip it over and rock it gently back and forth with your foot for 20 hours against some cardboard or towel

You could do it with your hand.. but... that'd be really difficult.

Do not ask me if "Very Smooth" stems were smoother in "Very Smooth" or "Very-Scratchy" housings..  I'd be lying if I gave you an answer to that...  The difference would be completely unreliable...

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Black Batch
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 15:47:11 »
Wow this is good news. That means if I use the switch housing on a used G80-11900, and swap stems, then it'll still feel smooth.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 15:57:27 »
Well, I have no idea what tp4tissue is talking about.  Apparently he bought 110 vintage black Cherry MX switches from whiskeytango, who is a great guy.  The rest of this post is unintelligible. 

"Very Smooth" stems were smoother in "Very Smooth" or "Very-Scratchy" housings?  wut?  I have no idea what this means.

"very smooth"?  "very scratchy"?  What does that mean? 

"4 degrees of smoothness"?  Is this like six degrees of separation? 

"mythical vintage-blackness"?  What is that?  What myth is he talking about?  Is this like the myth about the fox and the grapes?  Is that what he means?  He can't get the switches he wants, so he hates them all?  Or the myth of the Princess and the pea?  He can't sleep on the mattress, because it's too scratchy?  Or not scratchy enough?  Or because his "buttery-boobs" hurt?  I'm so confused.  [did he put the butter on his boobs or on the switches? or both?] 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:12:43 »
Well, I have no idea what tp4tissue is talking about.  Apparently he bought 110 vintage black Cherry MX switches from whiskeytango, who is a great guy.  The rest of this post is unintelligible. 

"Very Smooth" stems were smoother in "Very Smooth" or "Very-Scratchy" housings?  wut?  I have no idea what this means.

"mythical vintage-blackness"?  What is that?  What myth is he talking about?  Is this like the myth about the fox and the grapes?  Is that what he means?  He can't get the switches he wants, so he hates them all?  Or the myth of the Princess and the pea?  He can't sleep on the mattress, because it's too scratchy?  Or not scratchy enough?  Or because his "buttery-boobs" hurt?  I'm so confused.  [did he put the butter on his boobs or on the switches? or both?] 

^^  Ok tard.. LOL.. let me slow it down for you...

The comparison is divided between stem and housing..

There are 4 components being interchanged and compared

The stem from Very scratch switch, and the Very Scratchy Housing   Composes the "very-scratchy" switch

The stem from Very smooth switch, and the Very Smooth Housing   Composes the "very-smooth" switch..

The first line you quoted from me.. was an indication that, it would be unreliable to determine whether a "STEM" from a "Very Smooth" switch, is SMOOTHER in the "Very smooth" switch housing... VS  "Very Scratchy" switch housing...

Is that slow enough for you? 

Also Eth0s, idk what ur problem is.. but if you are trying to disparage someone.. Your english is not good enough for that.. You really sound like an idiot in your ramblings..  I've highlighted it for you.

And seriously, if you don't like/ appreciate my review.. Just F... Off...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:14:53 »
So what your saying tp is used keyboards are worth more than new ones!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:17:07 »
So what your saying tp is used keyboards are worth more than new ones!

The older used linear switches may be better... But.. the "rest of the OLD board"... obviously just toss that.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:19:14 »
So should we be rotating switches every so often based on use? So they wear evenly?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:23:13 »
So should we be rotating switches every so often based on use? So they wear evenly?

No, that's impossible.. You're going to Desolder and relocate whole switches?

Easier way...   Buy approximately 2x the amount of black switches that you need...   Approx 1/4 of them will be Smooth..  1/4 of them will be VERY smooth...    Use the Very smooth switches for lesser used keys, and SMOOTH switches in Commonly used keys...  Such that eventually they'll all become Very smooth...

This does not account for the possibility that any switch may randomly acquire super saiyan smoothness... In which case they will make all the other switches surrounding them cry...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:27:38 »
Wow this is good news. That means if I use the switch housing on a used G80-11900, and swap stems, then it'll still feel smooth.

Yes, but NOT ALL of those switch housings will be "Smooth" or "Very-Smooth"....   Approximately 1/4 smooth 1/4 very smooth..  the rest are scratchy..

So you need 2 boards to build 1 board with all smooth and very smooth switches.

You need 4 boards to build 1 board with all VERY-SMOOTH switches.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 16:32:19 »

The stem from Very scratch switch, and the Very Scratchy Housing   Composes the "very-scratchy" switch

The stem from Very smooth switch, and the Very Smooth Housing   Composes the "very-smooth" switch..

The first line you quoted from me.. was an indication that, it would be unreliable to determine whether a "STEM" from a "Very Smooth" switch, is SMOOTHER in the "Very smooth" switch housing... VS  "Very Scratchy" switch housing...

Show Image

Hmm.  Well you called me a "tard"?  Is that an insult?  I have no idea what you mean.  I don't see the need for insults, when all I asked is if somebody could explain what is going on with the scratchy and the smooth.

"a "STEM" from a "Very Smooth" switch, is SMOOTHER in the "Very smooth" switch housing... VS  "Very Scratchy" switch housing..."  wut?

The smooth stem is smoother than the very smooth stem is scratchier in the scratchy housing?  Or is it VS the "very scratch" stem that in the SMOOTHER housing or the "Very Scratchy" switch housing, the smooth stem feels smoother than the scratchy (or is it scratchier)?  I'm still confused. 

How did you determine smoothness and scratchiness?  Where did you get these terms?  Did you make them up?  Did you calculate a Manning's Roughness Coefficient for either "smooth" or "scratchy" stems?  Did you try an airflow test?  Sheffield or Bendtsen test? 

Finally, did you try lube?

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 17:15:53 »

Show Image

Hmm.  Well you called me a "tard"?  Is that an insult?  I have no idea what you mean.  I don't see the need for insults, when all I asked is if somebody could explain what is going on with the scratchy and the smooth.

"a "STEM" from a "Very Smooth" switch, is SMOOTHER in the "Very smooth" switch housing... VS  "Very Scratchy" switch housing..."  wut?

The smooth stem is smoother than the very smooth stem is scratchier in the scratchy housing?  Or is it VS the "very scratch" stem that in the SMOOTHER housing or the "Very Scratchy" switch housing, the smooth stem feels smoother than the scratchy (or is it scratchier)?  I'm still confused. 

How did you determine smoothness and scratchiness?  Where did you get these terms?  Did you make them up?  Did you calculate a Manning's Roughness Coefficient for either "smooth" or "scratchy" stems?  Did you try an airflow test?  Sheffield or Bendtsen test? 

You insulted his (lack of) intelligence, eth0s.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 17:24:28 »
This whole thread is racist.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 18:55:16 »
Come on guys, he is trying to provide valuable information on (vintage) MX blacks.

As he noted, if you want to build a board with blacks (or possibly other switch types) you'll need to get at least a couple of similar donor boards if you want the new board's switches to have a uniform feel.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 19:19:27 »

Show Image

You insulted his (lack of) intelligence, eth0s.

LOL.. I see my fan club is still going strong.. I track that there's 2 members MIA.. haven't heard from them..

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 19:34:11 »

LOL.. I see my fan club is still going strong.. I track that there's 2 members MIA.. haven't heard from them..
Show Image

Someone's sad they are being picked on...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:30:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

I don't understand how much I could've hurt you when I said your caps were rubbish, such that you continue to-this-day what 9 months or so to go out of your way to troll my threads..

This obsession you have with me is "unhealthy"..

You gotta learn to let go "bro.."

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:32:44 »

Show Image

Show Image

I don't understand how much I could've hurt you when I said your caps were rubbish, such that you continue to-this-day what 9 months or so to go out of your way to troll my threads..

Show Image

I don't understand why you think this has anything to do with that. Your opinion means jack squat. I find it pretty funny how wound up you get, even to the point of calling
people names when they don't agree with you.

The only obsession here, is your obvious obsession with needing attention. Well, here you go. Have some.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:34:00 »
Following two threads ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:39:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I don't understand why you think this has anything to do with that. Your opinion means jack squat. I find it pretty funny how wound up you get, even to the point of calling

The only obsession here, is your obvious obsession with needing attention. Well, here you go. Have some.

No bro.. i am not the one needing attention... you are..

I even remember distinctly that you said you were going to put me on the ignore list, because you didn't agree with my stuff..

Well.. Why are you still talking to me.. admit it.. You can't help it...

Let me make it easy for you.. STOP talking to me RIGHT NOW...

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:42:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I even remember distinctly that you said you were going to put me on the ignore list, because you didn't agree with my stuff..

Show Image

Resorting to 'I know you are but what am I?'. I figured as much. It's cool, I get it. You are a lonely person in desperate need of attention. But you are going about it
the wrong way. If you want to make friends, you need to be nice. Maybe you have a social disorder (probably more of a definitely than a maybe). In either case, let's
just try to be nice to the community, and not call people 'tards' because they don't agree with your nonsensical form of 'logic', ok?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:43:17 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:45:20 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Resorting to 'I know you are but what am I?'. I figured as much. It's cool, I get it. You are a lonely person in desperate need of attention. But you are going about it
the wrong way. If you want to make friends, you need to be nice. Maybe you have a social disorder (probably more of a definitely than a maybe). In either case, let's
just try to be nice to the community, and not call people 'tards' because they don't agree with your nonsensical form of 'logic', ok?

Show Image

Well ok Bro caps.. hows this...

STOP TALKING TO ME FOREVER... it's a direct challenge from me... i CHALLENGE YOU to put me on the ignore list right now...

as you've said, you don't like me, or my "trolling"...  and that you "dont" want to be my friend..

So... there you have it...

I'm betting brocap can't resist to continue to talk to me...

DESPITE the fact the he claims he doesn't want to.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:46:53 »
Basically, if you never say anything to me EVER again.. you win... and I believe that you're not obsessed with me...

And I shall also remove your honorary fan-club membership,

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:47:22 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:50:02 »
Show Image

HAHAHA.. see there you have it.... brocaps.. can't help it...

:thumb:

don't be lame, and post an excuse like, oh you posted a picture, you technically didn't say anything..

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:52:12 »
Show Image

Show Image

don't be lame, and post an excuse like, oh you posted a picture, you technically didn't say anything..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:52:39 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

big smile for someone who just failed a "Challenge"..

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 21:09:36 »

big smile for someone who just failed a "Challenge"..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 22:03:19 »
see you next month tp!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 22:16:50 »
Technically he didn't SAY anything, he just showed you some pictures.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 01:40:22 »
Technically he didn't SAY anything, he just showed you some pictures.

he did in the other thread.. the challenge was cross-posted

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 01:43:57 »
pictures of the ergodox please?
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 01:49:54 »

seriously.. u guys still don't believe that I have an ergodox???

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 01:53:52 »

Show Image

i need pics
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 22:24:43 »

Whether or not you can understand doesn't make the post any better or worse, it just makes you retarded.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline germy

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:04:57 »

Whether or not you can understand doesn't make the post any better or worse, it just makes you retarded.

Erm I just wanted to express the view that the coherence of a post does matter in forum where the point of posting is to communicate something to others. Not commenting on the post by tp4, just think that making it easier for people to understand you does matter, no?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:57:18 »
Erm I just wanted to express the view that the coherence of a post does matter in forum where the point of posting is to communicate something to others. Not commenting on the post by tp4, just think that making it easier for people to understand you does matter, no?

Agreed, it does. My point was that pointing out something is difficult to understand doesn't make it incorrect. Also the sarcasm and idiotic remarks coming from eth0s weren't helping.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 00:19:31 »

Agreed, it does. My point was that pointing out something is difficult to understand doesn't make it incorrect. Also the sarcasm and idiotic remarks coming from eth0s weren't helping.

But calling someone retarded totally makes everything ok.

Offline iri

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 08:37:49 »

Show Image

i don't.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury