Author Topic: Weird overclock problem  (Read 2059 times)

Offline typo

Weird overclock problem
« on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 00:19:48 »
Running quad E5 Xeons on my workstation.  of course I do not need to over clock it but that is another story. The odd thing is it is faster at a lower speed than higher. It is not throttling or hitting thermal. Given that I have no idea why a lower frequency would be faster? As it stands I could have the highest GeekBench score in the world but I did not report it. It is cooled with 2x Magnum 350 aquarium pumps and a Aluminum Nascar radiator! Anyone know why slower would be faster? It is not like I am complaining just wondering.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Weird overclock problem
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 05:43:20 »
what motherboard..

also, don't use geekbench.. that crap started with cellphones.. they don't know what they're doing.

Just run Super Pi.. before and after oc..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 06:41:32 »
We need to see some photos to.

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 22:12:27 »
It is some SuperMicro. I forgot there is also a PHI card in there. I think Geekbench is just not designed for that level of computing. You are right. Used Linpack and higher speed did go faster. I really do not need to burn this up as I do not even own it. It is my Employers. Stock speed on these is only like 1.3GHZ. I tried going 1.5 but I am really not certain I should even do that. Sure, It will speed up compiling but I better not kill this.

Spam, it al fits in a case that used to belong to a aAS400. I should not really open it, let alone be messing with overclocking it. If you want to see a AS400 case......

You might wonder how this is for business with the cooling. I am a senior Employee. I was given Carte Blanche to get what I want to do my job. It still does not belong to me.
For the record this is a solid Six figures. The last thing I need to do is kill it. Stupid idea from the start I guess. My own Skylake-E is nicely overclocked just on sealed Asus water. The thing is even though not cheap, it is nothing like my business machine. 124 Gflops Vs. 2.3 Tflops. Still not even close to a Supercomputer. Funny thing is the Quadro in there is probably faster than the machine.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 01:09:55 by typo »