Author Topic: What is this....  (Read 11917 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: What is this....
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 11:24:11 »
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!  :))

My opinion is that people should be allowed to say whatever they like, so long as it does not cause someone else physical harm. Emotional harm? Eh, not so sure -- that would allow the most sensitive among us to become the language police, and I don't want to live in that world.

I think it's enough that if someone uses a derogatory, insulting word, the larger (more polite) society exacts a cost on that person's social standing. Said another way: if you say something that makes you sound ridiculous, homophobic, stupid, etc. -- your social standing drops accordingly.

This only holds for communities that are not already stupid and homophobic.

An interesting discussion from my younger years. Someone was complaining that the various Gay Parade's in NYC were getting out of hand. They said (perhaps correctly) that they would 'never' take their child to that particular parade, so as to avoid answering questions like, "Mom, why does that man's pants have no bottom?" and so on. This sounded rather reasonable to me at the time. This person's point was that there are a lot of gay people who don't wear their sexuality on their sleeve. You wouldn't know they were gay unless they told you. I work with a designer in my business who could walk into my factory either in a perfectly tailored business suit that should put him on a magazine cover... or hot pink boy shorts that are nearly inside him.

Krog: "Hey, how are y--  :eek:  Aww, man!! C'mon!" (averts eyes)  :mad:
Designer: (laughs)

So it made sense to me that being so overtly gay during the Gay Parade was a good enough reason to be 'against it' in some way, or to put the people who walk in dressed that way into some other category, away from 'normal' gay people. But then it occurred to me -- Carnivale and Mardi Gras are very, very overtly heterosexual parades/celebrations, aren't they? Women wear pasties and crystals and feathers and not much else. So really, is it so wrong for gay men and women to parade about in bondage gear? It seems to me that no one should be forced to hide who they are. America is about exulting in who you are, without fear.

I'm still against people in parades having sex in public (hetero- or homosexual sex, makes no difference), which is (rightly) illegal.

I do however, get very irked when some gay rights organizations try to make it illegal to openly disagree with them. (ala the Chik-Fil-A incident from last year). Disagreement is not the same as acting against someone else, or infringing upon their rights.

So, say what you like and pay (or reap) the consequences.

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 February 2013, 11:38:52 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline iri

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 05:34:15 »
do you know that gay people are murdered every day specifically because of their homosexuality? beaten to death with sticks, rocks, bats? ridiculed and heckled and spit on and fired from their jobs specifically because of their homosexuality?
are they ever sodomized with retractable batons?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 06:40:32 »
My gay friends call me (and themselves) a f****t all the time, and I'm straight. Lol.

Seems like nobody liked my idea of just leaving people alone and moving on with their lives. And now you understand Geekhack in a nutshell.

Why are you so "sure".. maybe you are a f**got, and only a full f**got could tell, because you're in denial.

Enough. -JwaZ

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 07:09:42 »
My gay friends call me (and themselves) a f****t all the time, and I'm straight. Lol.

Seems like nobody liked my idea of just leaving people alone and moving on with their lives. And now you understand Geekhack in a nutshell.

Why are you so "sure".. maybe you are a f**got, and only a full f**got could tell, because you're in denial.

:confused:
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."