Author Topic: Do you still 2.4ghz ?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Do you still 2.4ghz ?
« on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 07:38:09 »
Tp4 only uses 5ghz wifi,  cuz don't wanna git Cancer.  less wall penetration = m0ar safe ?

Offline Maledicted

Re: Do you still 2.4ghz ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 09:55:51 »
Tp4 only uses 5ghz wifi,  cuz don't wanna git Cancer.  less wall penetration = m0ar safe ?

I combine them, always. I think there may have been times I switched off the 2.4ghz band, back when 2.4ghz home phones were common, and we seemed to be experiencing interference as a result. This also had the side effect of decreased compatibility with older devices, and theoretical speed bottlenecks ... though I doubt I even need wireless as fast as my devices are rated for anyway at this point. I suppose, if I cared, I could stick to 5ghz. I already have enough old routers flashed with DD-WRT to act as access points if necessary, and I don't think I use many wireless devices that would be incompatible anymore.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 10:43:36 »
I thought you only use gig lan. Lies upon lies.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 11:01:54 »

LOLOLOL

Of course Tp4 is wired on PC.  Talkn' wireless devices. celofone + bedputers'

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 11:08:30 »

LOLOLOL

Ethernet isn't even supported in my room

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 13:23:42 »

LOLOLOL

I used to have a touch monitor wall-mounted on an arm above my bed myself, with a compute stick clone zip-tied to it. Cooling sucked, so I ended up having to cut half of the plastic casing away, slap some of those adhesive SDM ram spreaders on the "heatsink" and jury rig a 20mm (or so) fan that I spliced a usb cable to onto them to keep it cool.

Ethernet isn't even supported in my room

Nothing a drill and/or some pliers and some ingenuity can't fix. Most of our basement has exposed trusses. For main floor rooms, I have just poked ethernet cables through the cold air returns and run them back to a dumb switch, then my pfSense box that hangs out in the basement trusses. If you have a basement, and it is finished, and whoever finished it had the common sense/foresight to put in ceiling tiles instead of drywall, you should be able to still do something similar.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 16:16:59 »
My router has a scheduler that allows me to disable WiFi at night. When I had my sister living with me, she insisted on having it because she was scared of the radiation. I don't think it mattered for us though, because I live in an apartment block where practically every neighbour has a wireless router: When I try to connect to my home WiFi, I see dozens of other networks.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 08:04:47 »
My router has a scheduler that allows me to disable WiFi at night. When I had my sister living with me, she insisted on having it because she was scared of the radiation. I don't think it mattered for us though, because I live in an apartment block where practically every neighbour has a wireless router: When I try to connect to my home WiFi, I see dozens of other networks.

I'm a night owl, I couldn't do that. I might still be up at 4 am ... when I should be up for work at 6. I considered it though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 08:11:49 »
I'm a night owl, I couldn't do that. I might still be up at 4 am ... when I should be up for work at 6. I considered it though.

I worry most about laptop wifi, it's so fast, and it's so close to one's head.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 08:21:42 »

I don't use laptops much (though I have many of them), and most of mine do not even have wireless AC yet. The makeshift HTPC in my bedroom is a desktop with no wireless card, my gaming rig's wireless card is usually shut off. I think I have a lan cable even running to my smart tv. Only networking device I have active in my room is a dumb switch. So, I suppose, coincidentally, the only thing wireless that's often very close to me is my phone.

I do have some ghetto/makeshift APs and repeater bridges around, but none active near the room, though that's not even intentional. The pfSense box, which is strategically positioned about centrally in the house, has a wireless AC card, but I have thought about disabling that since pfSense doesn't seem to handle wireless very well anyway.

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 09:04:18 »
well 5GHz is more energy, so... logically less safe, but then 2.4 is not actually unsafe (or at least no one has managed to prove it without a huge paycheck from someone who want to sell some competing stuff) although so many things can be causing cancer at any one time, you should cut all wireless to be sure, and not plug any switching power supply to be extra sure, then go live in a place with very low background radiation in a lead lined house, and never get out. and well most powerful canserigen of all the oxygen, you should also stop breathing.

no that i have taken that a bit too far, the main reason why one would still use 2.4GHz is that it is more compatible, the main reason for 5GHz is that it is faster. where i live our internet is slow and our isp does not even give us the option for a 5GHz capable router, old crappy 2.4 for old crappy internet, to be fair, with internet running at 600kb/s i will not saturate the wifi.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 16:08:15 »

Usually closer to one's junk than to one's head. Still problematic, unless procreation is already finished.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 16:18:08 »
I gots that new "wifi 6", but my provider doesn't keep up. I'm gonna just run 50 ft of cat6 across the house, I suppose. Board has both Intel and Realtek LAN ports.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 16:23:21 »
I gots that new "wifi 6", but my provider doesn't keep up. I'm gonna just run 50 ft of cat6 across the house, I suppose. Board has both Intel and Realtek LAN ports.

Why not cat7? Especially if this is something permanent. I still have cat5e all over the place. lol

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 17:25:42 »

Why not cat7? Especially if this is something permanent. I still have cat5e all over the place. lol

Ooops. Got stuck in a time warp. Just gonna order it and get the drill out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 18:54:54 »

cat 7 has very strict specs and terminate in GG45.

If it's not sold as such,  it's fake cat7.

Make sure to read my Ethernet cable thread before you buy.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 21:51:58 »

cat 7 has very strict specs and terminate in GG45.

If it's not sold as such,  it's fake cat7.

Make sure to read my Ethernet cable thread before you buy.

Fine. But it if I see "Ergodox" anywhere in the thread, I'm buying the opposite cable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 22:21:10 »
Fine. But it if I see "Ergodox" anywhere in the thread, I'm buying the opposite cable.

Offline yui

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 00:50:10 »
fiber is actually become cheap nowadays (5m LC cable cost about a quarter of what cat 7 cost at my local computer store) so if you want ultimate speed and futureproofing might want to look at it, and as a bonus it is much skinnier cables so not as big of a hole to drill, and as a bonus do not release any EM waves.
The only problem is that the transceivers for above than 10 GB are really expensive and the switches as well, and if you take an hp or cisco sfp nic get ready to pay for premium transceivers. (i dunno about the others)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)