Author Topic: Deafness  (Read 1800 times)

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Deafness
« on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 02:33:26 »
I have very little experience with deafness, so I have a few innocent questions on the day-to-day experience:

- I read with an internal voice speaking words that I imagine hearing. Is this the same for a deaf person? If not, how does a deaf person experience reading?
- A corollary to the above: does the concept of rhyming words work? If there is no imagined sound and more a recognition of words with associated meanings, do words that look the same create an experience to words that sound the same?
- What effect is experienced with miss-spelled or bastardized words? Does "thx" correlate easily with "thanks"? Is "favourite" different to "favorite"? "Tomato" and "tomato"?
- Is there any delineation between male and female speech as it's rendered in the mind? Specifically I'm thinking about subtitles here.

Thx!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Deafness
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 04:17:59 »
You "read " to yourself because it was how you were taught to read, I don't know if deaf people do that or not, but it could also change depending on when they went deaf.

I'm heavily dyslexic, while I can read forwards, backwards, sideways, mirrored, etc at almost the same speed, I tended to read a little slower than average, not enough for people to notice but it made me hyper aware of it and self conscious, so I did some research on speed reading just to get over that hump. One of the first things you learn in speed reading is to stop that inner monologue because it slows you down.

We can process information much faster than we can speak that same information, if you want an interesting experiment, watch/listen to Youtube at double speed. I knew a guy who would listen to audiobooks at 4x or more. I listened to it on a long road trip with him and it was surprisingly easy to adapt to it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 08:17:49 »
You "read " to yourself because it was how you were taught to read, I don't know if deaf people do that or not, but it could also change depending on when they went deaf.

I'm heavily dyslexic, while I can read forwards, backwards, sideways, mirrored, etc at almost the same speed, I tended to read a little slower than average, not enough for people to notice but it made me hyper aware of it and self conscious, so I did some research on speed reading just to get over that hump. One of the first things you learn in speed reading is to stop that inner monologue because it slows you down.

We can process information much faster than we can speak that same information, if you want an interesting experiment, watch/listen to Youtube at double speed. I knew a guy who would listen to audiobooks at 4x or more. I listened to it on a long road trip with him and it was surprisingly easy to adapt to it.

I've tried the 4x audio book thing.. while I can follow it, at 4x speed you have to really focus..  It's like running your CPU at 100%, you might end up spitting blood and dead..

I've never been able to speed read anything technical, only fiction

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:30:37 »

I knew a guy who would listen to audiobooks at 4x or more. I listened to it on a long road trip with him and it was surprisingly easy to adapt to it.

That seems interesting but how do you do it?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 17:33:08 »
I knew a guy who would listen to audiobooks at 4x or more. I listened to it on a long road trip with him and it was surprisingly easy to adapt to it.
Sorry, I never asked what the he was using to do it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 18:51:52 »

There's surely an option in Audacity (open source sound editor) to change the speed without messing up the pitch and making everyone sound like chipmunks, I think it's an option in Rockbox alternative firmware for iPods and Creative MP3 players too...

As to the original questions I don't think anyone can answer for someone who's born deaf - there may be a voice or two built into our shared consciousness (I'm thinking Jungian) which they can hear but they wouldn't know if it's the same as a normal voice, and anyone who became deaf could have 'cheated' by learning a voice when they could hear it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 19:39:50 »
VLC has a playback speed setting - I used this a lot for study. 2x speed is quite doable for normal speaking tempo and cuts down 8hr instructionals to much more manageable timescales, but anything quicker I found ridiculous. 4x? No way jose.

As to the rest of my questions, I guess they will go unanswered and I'll never know.

brb, off to wave my hand at a book and pretend to read faster than is humanly possible.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 19:47:57 »
VLC has a playback speed setting - I used this a lot for study. 2x speed is quite doable for normal speaking tempo and cuts down 8hr instructionals to much more manageable timescales, but anything quicker I found ridiculous. 4x? No way jose.

As to the rest of my questions, I guess they will go unanswered and I'll never know.

brb, off to wave my hand at a book and pretend to read faster than is humanly possible.

for something like this, prolly check reddit -deaf- ??

do they have that on the reddit ?