Author Topic: [IC] GMK Sumi | GB live! | 15th July to 15th August  (Read 242604 times)

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
[IC] GMK Sumi | GB live! | 15th July to 15th August
« on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:38:52 »

GMK Sumi is a Set, inspired by the japanese ink painting art - sumi-e 墨絵

With the start of the Group Buy I did open this thread in the GB Section! If you want to stay up to date, just click here!

The Kits of Sumi.

The Base Kit - Art of Sumi-e 墨絵

The Hiragana Alphas - Yamato 大和民族

The Novelties - Konomi 好み

The Spacebar Kit - Man of Culture 文化の男

The 40s and Ortho Kit - Saishōgen no 最小限の

The Kit was designed two RAL and one GMK-Basic Colour.

Renders with the ORI 87.

Renders with the RAMA U80.

Renders with the AKI-S by Senryo.

Deskmat Designs.

Bonsai 盆栽

Sakura 桜

Koi 鯉

Ghost Koi 精神

Collaboration with RAMA WORKS (R)

You can join my DISCORD, if you want to stay up to date and don't want miss any news regarding Sumi and my Projects!

https://discord.gg/45GE9ug

Sumi is completed.

With the changes that are now applied to the Base kit, Sumi is completed. Because of the change in the vendor listing I were able to realise the last requests for the Set. This includes the addition of all hiragana double sublegends.
I didn't felt right to me to just include some of the quaternary Keys, so I added all of them to make it a complete and more usefull Set.
The Hanko, shown on the Deskmats, did also change. It's my signature and stands for "Virtual". Just to give it some reference to me.
A minor change which will lead to better and faster colour checking phase is the change of the Pantone to RAL 3028. The new colour is pretty similar to the old one, it's just a tiny bit darker. I think the colour fits the theme even better than the Pantone.
With that being said, I'm hoping to get the pricing from GMK within the next two weeks.

The Groupbuy of this Set will start on the 15th of July!

The Groupbuy Date had to be changed due to the NA Vendor change!

Collaborations.

- RAMA WORKS(R)
- keebwerk.
- Spatzik Cables
- Primecaps
- projectkey.hk
- keebstuff Kabelmanufaktur
- Artkey Universe

Vendors.

NA:   Project Keyboard     https://store.projectkeyboard.com/
EU:   Candykeys              https://candykeys.com/
AS:   zFrontier                 https://en.zfrontier.com/
AUS:   Switchkeys            https://www.switchkeys.com.au/
CA:   DeskHero                https://www.deskhero.ca/

~ I want to honor Rensuya for helping me with my first Steps and Kingk22 for these fantastic renders. ~

You can also follow me on Social Media

https://www.instagram.com/series.43/?hl=de

By putting this into your signiture, you're supporting me a lot!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104469.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/Du1Js0a.png[/img]

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 July 2020, 17:29:10 by FaKe_VirTual »

Offline Fnzzy

Re: [IC] GMK Sumi
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:43:02 »
ooooooh look at those desk mats!!

Offline Abdallah9

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:43:28 »
I love the desk mats, great color way.

Offline martensson

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:44:32 »
Deskmats are an instant buy, and the whole kit looks really well designed. Looking forward to the GB!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:47:00 »
I think it looks like a reverse metaverse but otherwise i like it!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:58:34 by zakatak »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:48:33 »
Agree with others on deskmats. I don't mind a lack of novelties honestly, but would love some artisans.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:57:00 »
A lot of people think light mods and dark alphas is bad but I think this is classy. And it has a thematically valid reason to use Japanese sublegends.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Hydroxide

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 09:58:16 »
I'm definitely interested in a desk mat, as others have said. Also I think the whole set looks pretty good. Might have to count me in for a full set!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline antx1701

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:10:21 »
Good set, great deskmat.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:10:54 »
Any chance on international kits?

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:16:57 »
I like everything about this set!

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Cee

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:17:13 »
The deskmats

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline Zeit

• I melt at 26°C!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:33:42 »
The deskmats are absolutely gorgeous.
IBM Model F AT - Dell AT101 Linearised - KBD67 HSE Black Gateron Inks - HHKB Pro 2 Black

Offline Shurakai

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:51:01 »
This is beautiful. I would have a hard time deciding which deskmat to get...

Also, please keep us ortho folks in mind, even if there's just a little bit of compatibility thrown into the base sets.

Offline travwal

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:01:55 »
This is one of the first sets I have seen where I like the light mods with dark alphas. Very nicely done!

Offline mr.bean

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:34:29 »
Love it!

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:07:25 »
I was somewhat excited to see this because I am interested in both calligraphy and sumi-e art in general. I do like the color scheme of the keycap set, which is the most important part. However, the rest of the product could use some work.

First, why was the hiragana set called "Ainu"? The Ainu are a race of people from the northern parts Japanese islands with a traditional culture quite different than the Japanese. It seems a bit out of place here, but maybe there is a relevant history I am unaware of.

Next, with apologies to 黒土さん, the deskmat artwork looks amateurish to me. I'm not qualified to speak on the drawings, but at the least I can say that 「インク」 is not well written. The brush strokes for the ン are even backwards. It would probably best to remove the word entirely as the katakana doesn't fit the theme in general.

Edit: Just realized the signature stamp is 墨. Whoops. I thought it was the artist's name, but now it's obvious. And I'm unsure why you would have "Sumi" as the artist's signature.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:12:07 by Missingnumber »

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:30:28 »
I was somewhat excited to see this because I am interested in both calligraphy and sumi-e art in general. I do like the color scheme of the keycap set, which is the most important part. However, the rest of the product could use some work.

First, why was the hiragana set called "Ainu"? The Ainu are a race of people from the northern parts Japanese islands with a traditional culture quite different than the Japanese. It seems a bit out of place here, but maybe there is a relevant history I am unaware of.

Next, with apologies to 黒土さん, the deskmat artwork looks amateurish to me. I'm not qualified to speak on the drawings, but at the least I can say that 「インク」 is not well written. The brush strokes for the ン are even backwards. It would probably best to remove the word entirely as the katakana doesn't fit the theme in general.

Edit: Just realized the signature stamp is 墨. Whoops. I thought it was the artist's name, but now it's obvious. And I'm unsure why you would have "Sumi" as the artist's signature.
First I have to apologie for the calligraphy, but I'm not able to proper write or even read in Japanese. Im actually from germany and just satisfied with japanese culture.
Yeah, the artwork is not professionally drawn because it was made by me in my spare time. I'm a student in engineering, not an actual artist.
I've choosen the Word Ainu for the Hiragana alphas, because I liked to name it after a traditional japanese race, so that the set gets more of a historical touch. By looking for a suiting name in the Internet I came to this. But the Name is able to change, so there is no bound to it.
As I said in the IC, the Set is still in work and definetly needs some extra work, until it reaches perfection. So this criticism is very usefull.
(I already thought that the things google translator is telling me aren't quiet right and here is the proof.)

Thanks for your comment!

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:40:18 »
I'm glad you are open to criticism, because I think this is a cool project.

At the very least you should change the name from Ainu. They were a completely different people with their own language and their land (northern Honshu and Hokkaido) was taken over by the Japanese in relatively recent history. The race of people that became what we think of today as the Japanese are the Yamato (大和民族).

Edit: This isn't to say that the modern Ainu (or Ryukyuan people for that matter) aren't Japanese. They certainly are, just as much as those people of Yamato heritage or even more recent immigrants to the country.  But sumi-e is not something anyone would associate with their culture.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:50:56 by Missingnumber »

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:58:11 »
this is beautifully done

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:02:13 »
I'm glad you are open to criticism, because I think this is a cool project.

At the very least you should change the name from Ainu. They were a completely different people with their own language and their land (northern Honshu and Hokkaido) was taken over by the Japanese in relatively recent history. The race of people that became what we think of today as the Japanese are the Yamato (大和民族).

Edit: This isn't to say that the modern Ainu (or Ryukyuan people for that matter) aren't Japanese. They certainly are, just as much as those people of Yamato heritage or even more recent immigrants to the country.  But sumi-e is not something anyone would associate with their culture.
I changed it!
Thanks for your research and time spent with this issue!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:10:00 »
I like the colorway. Japanese inspirations are really beyond the point of being overused at this point, so I have nothing to say regarding the theme. I do have a few useful kitting suggestions, though:
  • Add R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn to the base kit. A lot of people prefer these to R2 PgUp, R3 PgDn for their 65%/75% right column setups.
  • The base is kind of large, so it may be worth considering removing 1.75u stepped Control and 2u Shift to help keep the price down.
  • Add an extra alpha B to the spacebar kit, for ergo boards.
  • 1.75c isn't a very useful spacebar key — only two or three 40% boards use it, iirc. Considering removing it, as that would save two keys.

Finally, please don't use CDN image links in your posts. Upload the images to Imgur instead. Your post looks like this in all of my browsers because of privacy/XSS settings:

P.S. Mandatory Hiragana in any way would kill this set for me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2020, 03:25:29 by constexpr »

Offline belgium_waffles

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:40:20 »
gimme that deskmat

Offline Abec13

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:52:20 »
gimme that deskmat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline PandaSuit

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 14:39:06 »
Those deskmats have the same problem as Mizu deskmat, when you put the keyboard on it you can't see the fish, and Mizu even had bigger fish on it.

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 14:51:40 »
Won't be getting this set, even though it is very beautiful. I do however want all of these deskmats. Please consider putting them all out. I'd buy one of each easy.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 15:17:28 »
In for pretty much everything, beautiful work so far!!

Offline nsmk

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 16:18:37 »
For the 「インク」("Ink" in Japanese) word on the deskmat, I think you used「ソ」instead of 「ン」which are different katakanas and pronounce differently.

Consider changing it to「ン」if you decide to keep the katakanas.

Offline yhs

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:40:50 »
Yes!

Offline Weaselpc

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:47:16 »
Not going to lie i'm not really considering GMK Darling becasue the Deskmats didn't turn out too great and they dont have hirigana alphas. This one ha hiragana alphas AND 3 awesome deskmats so i'm already considering it greatly.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:48:48 »
I do however want all of these deskmats. Please consider putting them all out. I'd buy one of each easy.

Exactly the same here, I'll be happy to buy 'em all.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:07:50 »
Nice set, reminds me of inverse GMK Metaverse! I'm glad more inverse gmk sets are coming out! Dark Alphas with Light mods!

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:08:11 »
Really liking how this set is themed, especially the deskmats! I think everything is tied together well.

And, slightly off-topic:
Not going to lie i'm not really considering GMK Darling becasue the Deskmats didn't turn out too great and they dont have hirigana alphas. This one ha hiragana alphas AND 3 awesome deskmats so i'm already considering it greatly.

FWIW, Darling's base kit has hiragana sublegends, since you seem to be confused about that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:11:13 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline Honey

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:11:08 »
super pretty, I want everything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 19:22:11 by Honey »

Offline Shurakai

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 20:15:49 »
Those deskmats have the same problem as Mizu deskmat, when you put the keyboard on it you can't see the fish, and Mizu even had bigger fish on it.

Split ortho!

Hiragana only alpha kit, plz.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 21:45:09 »
Love the theme and the colors. I think the deskmats are pretty great as well.

Personally I'd prefer to see Hiragana subbed alphas in the base kit. I'd also like to see 6.25u and 7u spacebars added to the alternate alphas kit, whether the alt alphas are Latin or Hiragana-subbed. I definitely think Hiragana subs are much better than Hiragana-only alphas.

It'd also be cool to see extra B keys (Alice support) added to the spacebar kit (extra Latin B and extra Hiragana sub B ideally!!). Finally F13 would be a really nice addition as well, although that is very much the lowest priority.

Thank you for your work so far and looking forward to following this IC!

Offline zstsc

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 22:12:16 »
Please consider to include the hiragana alphas in the base kit. So we do not need to buy two sets to fully enjoy the essence of the art of sumi-
I think most of us are into those hiragana subbed alphas in the first place.

I am glad to see a WoB hiragana set aside from the pad printed OCO jap.
Is the RAL 5004 color similar to the GMK metropolis base with white legends?
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 22:21:55 by zstsc »

Offline octix

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 22:58:48 »
Really liking that deskmat. I need it!

Discord: octix#0478

Offline Warrenified

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 23:18:36 »
Absolutely gorgeous! And those deskmats! Wew

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 23:39:30 »
I think icon mods or maybe a full modifier novelty kit would work well since the regular text does not seem to fit in with the art theme of the set. A hiragana only alphas kit would be nice too since there aren't too many of those around and would be nice to see it on a set like this.

Offline androo

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 01:39:34 »
I think making the stepped caps just say "Caps" would make the look more consistent. Otherwise, great colorway and awesome deskmats.
adk64 | s7 elephant | m65-b | kei r2 | gskt-00 (waiting) | angel (waiting)

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 10:31:33 »
I disagree with those saying that hiragana sublegends match the theme. Sumi-e is often minimalistic, and double legends look cluttered to me.

And if anyone actually cared about the Japanese aspect of keycaps people would include caps that help with typing in Japanese (the hiragana/katakana/romaji toggle or the half-width/full-width button) or even full JIS compatibility sets. No one uses the hiragana sublegends to type in Japanese, so it's nothing more than a novelty people can't even read. Only one other person pointing out the misspelling in Japanese in the mat shows that.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 10:41:08 »
Loving this!

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 10:42:18 »
how about scrap the latin legends and go full hiragana for yamato

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 13:31:04 »
And if anyone actually cared about the Japanese aspect of keycaps people would include caps that help with typing in Japanese (the hiragana/katakana/romaji toggle or the half-width/full-width button) or even full JIS compatibility sets. No one uses the hiragana sublegends to type in Japanese, so it's nothing more than a novelty people can't even read. Only one other person pointing out the misspelling in Japanese in the mat shows that.

Well said.

Offline Jebus

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 14:22:51 »
This set looks so elegant...I dig it. Very much so.

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 14:32:16 »
Make every single one of those deskmats. Also the set looks nice.

Offline zstsc

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 17:05:43 »
I disagree with those saying that hiragana sublegends match the theme. Sumi-e is often minimalistic, and double legends look cluttered to me.

Latin only alphas to me look uninspired and western, and could mean anything red black white

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 19:06:47 »
Latin only alphas to me look uninspired and western, and could mean anything red black white

On the one hand, I do see what you mean about ambiguity.  But I do think the simple set with just Latin looks very sumi-e to me, due to the well-matched color scheme.  It could be because I have it in mind when looking at the renders, but the understated modifiers and simple text really work for me.

And FaKe_VirTual, do you have any ideas for novelties?  If you plan on doing them and need ideas, a black on white enso (Zen circle) could be pretty cool if it's not too hard for manufacturing.
Here's an article on the subject:
https://medium.com/@mariogomes/analysis-of-the-ens%C5%8D-symbol-f200f0798692

Offline alanskiii

Re: [IC] GMK Sumi - Updated with Future Changes
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 21:55:28 »

And FaKe_VirTual, do you have any ideas for novelties?  If you plan on doing them and need ideas, a black on white enso (Zen circle) could be pretty cool if it's not too hard for manufacturing.
Here's an article on the subject:
https://medium.com/@mariogomes/analysis-of-the-ens%C5%8D-symbol-f200f0798692

I like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk