Author Topic: NMB RT8255C+ - Need advice on replacing cut cable.  (Read 1671 times)

Offline leetuser

NMB RT8255C+ - Need advice on replacing cut cable.
« on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:05:12 »
I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate area.  I recently  bought this keyboard as part of a lot on ebay but someone had previously cut off the cable. I'm pretty sure the board used a 5 Pin DIN but I don't know how to check. I can solder on a new cable but I don't know which solder points to connect to each PIN. Are the 5 wires coming out of the PCB in a standard order? I checked another board with 5 Pin DIN and it uses different color wires and nothing is labeled like this NMB board is. Does anyone know what I have to do?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:07:11 by leetuser »

Offline Maledicted

Re: NMB RT8255C+ - Need advice on replacing cut cable.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:35:35 »
I hope I'm posting this in the appropriate area.  I recently  bought this keyboard as part of a lot on ebay but someone had previously cut off the cable. I'm pretty sure the board used a 5 Pin DIN but I don't know how to check. I can solder on a new cable but I don't know which solder points to connect to each PIN. Are the 5 wires coming out of the PCB in a standard order? I checked another board with 5 Pin DIN and it uses different color wires and nothing is labeled like this NMB board is. Does anyone know what I have to do?

Your pictures answer your question. NMB did all of the work for you and labeled each of the wires. Look at your first image and compare to the one I linked below. The only thing that's not clear to me is the two separate grounds. I imagine one may be for the shielding and one is for pin 4. You should be able to figure that out quickly by poking one lead from a continuity tester against each of the ground pins on the board and touch the other end of it to the remains of the exposed shielding on the cut end of the cable.

I like to replace cut cables with nice HOSA MIDI cables that I cut in half and splice in. They've got wonderfully flexible rubber sleeving and beefy metal connectors. I also like panel mount jacks like this, although I wouldn't pay that price for just one. If you mount that to the case and wire it up, then you can just buy HOSA MIDI cables of various lengths and you've got a nice setup for removable cables.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2021, 10:40:59 by Maledicted »

Offline leetuser

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 15:59:03 »
Thank you. I guess I should have used my brain a little more. Thank you for your help and I appreciate the advice about the cables.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 08:40:15 »
Thank you. I guess I should have used my brain a little more. Thank you for your help and I appreciate the advice about the cables.

You're welcome. I would be interested to see what you end up doing to fix it, and what you think of your new Space Invaders switches. Definitely better than any MX clickies in my opinion.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 10:10:55 »
Those Butchers should be in Jail. Lock um' UP

Agreed. Even if it means ridiculous prices for boards like this in the future, at least that will mean that people will be less likely to snip the cable and put it on display, or worse, toss it into the bottom of a gaylord destined for scrap.

Offline leetuser

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 18:16:43 »
This is only my second space invaders board. My first one was an RT101 I found completely intact and in great condition at a recycler. I used it a bit before selling it and I've been  kicking myself for selling it ever since. I came across this one in a lot of rough boards on ebay, but I figured it's worth it if I can get it working again with a new cable 

I'm happy to report that the keyboard is now fully functional. I harvested a nice black 5 Pin DIN cable from an old Unitek that I harvested some really nice MX Blacks from a while ago. The only problem with this board is the 5 missing keycaps  and one switch top, but I'm sure I'll come across a parts board soon enough.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 19:01:07 »
This is only my second space invaders board. My first one was an RT101 I found completely intact and in great condition at a recycler. I used it a bit before selling it and I've been  kicking myself for selling it ever since. I came across this one in a lot of rough boards on ebay, but I figured it's worth it if I can get it working again with a new cable 

I'm happy to report that the keyboard is now fully functional. I harvested a nice black 5 Pin DIN cable from an old Unitek that I harvested some really nice MX Blacks from a while ago. The only problem with this board is the 5 missing keycaps  and one switch top, but I'm sure I'll come across a parts board soon enough.

That's good to hear. It is shaping up well. I imagine you pulled that cable from a K151L? I hope there was something seriously wrong with it to strip it for parts. They're some really nice boards, even if the AT layout is a little weird.