Author Topic: Ducky DK9008 Shine II or WASD V2 - Neither  (Read 9072 times)

Offline chree

Ducky DK9008 Shine II or WASD V2 - Neither
« on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 10:46:31 »
I should start with:
  • I over analyze, hence I've lurked and read a lot
  • Been using a Logitech Classic 200 for several years, backspace is now sporadically self actuating
  • I hunt and peck, never took a typing class - my goal is to teach myself proper typing technique with the new keyboard - tough when I've typed this way for 20 years
  • I do not game at all
Keyboard requirements:
  • Full size, US ANSI
  • LED Backlit (white LED) - I work in the dark regularly, I'd like to see if key backlighting at a low level would be helpful
I tried various Cherry switches at the local Microcenter and decided I like the red.  I was also very impressed with the Ducky Zero, I might have bought one if I didn't want to try a backlit keyboard.

I'm leaning towards the Ducky DK9008 Shine II, but maybe I should wait for the WASD V2 illuminated?  I like the Ducky bezel, the WASD looks bulky.  Are there other points I should consider?

I appreciate the feedback!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:52:18 by chree »

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
Re: Ducky DK9008 Shine II or WASD V2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:43:05 »
I have never tried a Ducky but I do own a V1 WASD and love the build quality of the thing and the ability to have custom key caps was very nice for the price. I do know with V2 Illuminated that custom keys will not be possible through WASD. I cannot think why WASD wouldn't make another high quality keyboard with V2.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:57:53 »
If you intend on teaching yourself proper typing technique, then I think there are two comments to be made:

1) Since you won't have to go through the trouble of unlearning muscle memory, you may consider learning an alternative layout like Colemak. If that's the case, then be aware that the WASD v2 will have DIP switches to have layouts like Colemak in the hardware.

2) Why backlighting? If you want to force yourself to type properly, then a set of blank keycaps and your own mistakes will be the best method of learning.

If neither of those are a concern to you, you've read all the info available about the WASD v2 (below), and you're still unsure, then go for the Ducky.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37891.0

^ This thread and the link in the OP is the best source for WASD v2 info, just in case you haven't seen it yet.

Offline Hour

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 13:17:31 »
Its a big jump from a standard keyboard like a logitech or a laptop keyboard. I would go with the wasd because you can completely customize what you want on the keyboard, then transition to the ducky. It also depends on what you are playing. ^-^
Edit: If you are into backlit keyboards, Ducky has a variety of lighting and colors that are very cool.  :cool: This is one keyboard that is a very good example
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=197
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 April 2013, 13:23:50 by Hour »

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 13:24:06 »
From what I can tell a significant amount of time was spent in seating the switches as low as possible in the WASD V2.  It will also come with a reinforced Micro USB port vs. the Ducky Mini USB.  I'm not saying if one would be more reliable for your situation but it is peace of mind.

If you have any hesitation towards typing on tall keyboards I'd wait to check out the WASD.

Offline chree

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 12:06:44 »
I have never tried a Ducky but I do own a V1 WASD and love the build quality of the thing and the ability to have custom key caps was very nice for the price. I do know with V2 Illuminated that custom keys will not be possible through WASD. I cannot think why WASD wouldn't make another high quality keyboard with V2.

I believe I will wait to see the WASD V2 release.  WASD appears to offer great customer service, which is a plus if I need it.

If you intend on teaching yourself proper typing technique, then I think there are two comments to be made:

1) Since you won't have to go through the trouble of unlearning muscle memory, you may consider learning an alternative layout like Colemak. If that's the case, then be aware that the WASD v2 will have DIP switches to have layouts like Colemak in the hardware.

2) Why backlighting? If you want to force yourself to type properly, then a set of blank keycaps and your own mistakes will be the best method of learning.

Great points.  The alternative layouts are intriguing, I did some reading... the problem is, although I do not have muscle memory using correct typing technique, my brain is programmed to the QWERTY layout, it may be too much to learn proper technique and a new layout.

I agree I shouldn't need backlighting if I learn to type properly... however it could be beneficial as I learn.  I'm not brave enough to try blank keycaps, I'm going to try to learn while still maintaining a busy work schedule, which includes daily time deadlines that I cannot miss.  I took a typing test and I type at 38 WPM, which is average for hunt & peck.

I think I will wait for the WASD V2 then make the decision, I also see a Ducky Zero Shine may be released, which would be another option.

Its a big jump from a standard keyboard like a logitech or a laptop keyboard. I would go with the wasd because you can completely customize what you want on the keyboard, then transition to the ducky. It also depends on what you are playing. ^-^
Edit: If you are into backlit keyboards, Ducky has a variety of lighting and colors that are very cool.  :cool: This is one keyboard that is a very good example
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=197

It agree it will take time to acclimate, I am going to wait for the WASD V2 release.

From what I can tell a significant amount of time was spent in seating the switches as low as possible in the WASD V2.  It will also come with a reinforced Micro USB port vs. the Ducky Mini USB.  I'm not saying if one would be more reliable for your situation but it is peace of mind.

If you have any hesitation towards typing on tall keyboards I'd wait to check out the WASD.

Hadn't thought about tall versus short keyboards, there will definitely be an adjustment period.  I have found that since I use the PC daily I am forced acclimate to new input devices relatively quickly.  It took a couple weeks to be comfortable with a M570 trackball.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Offline chree

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 09:14:26 »
I'm disappointed the backlit WASD keyboards will only be offered with clear switches.  The Ducky Shine II in white LED / red switches has been in stock twice and I have waited for WASD... of course they are out of stock again.  Disappointing indeed.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:21:48 »
I'm disappointed the backlit WASD keyboards will only be offered with clear switches.  The Ducky Shine II in white LED / red switches has been in stock twice and I have waited for WASD... of course they are out of stock again.  Disappointing indeed.

Agree, but I do not really care about backlighting that much anyways though.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:18:35 »
WASD announced that the only switches that will be available for the white LED backlit board will be Cherry MX Clear. :(
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:22:12 »
Since the WASD is never coming out, the shine 2 it is.

Offline chree

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:29:52 »
Beginning to wonder if backlighting would be useful... and if a removable cable is a good idea, I move my keyboard a lot...

Filco Majestouch with reds may be the answer.

Offline frenchie4111

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:07:12 »
Beginning to wonder if backlighting would be useful... and if a removable cable is a good idea, I move my keyboard a lot...

Though the Filco Majestouch does not have a removable cable

Filco MJ2 TKL

Offline chree

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:12:31 »

Though the Filco Majestouch does not have a removable cable

Yes, I'm thinking a removable cable is a liability for the way I use a keyboard, thus the Majestouch may be a better fit.

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:54:24 »
Go with the shine!!! :D

Offline caiges

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 17:26:30 »
Given the level of quality the WASD folks hold their products to, I'd wait if I didn't already have a V1. That said ... I just ordered a Majestouch 2 :)

Offline chree

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 09:51:37 »
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?
(Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down)

I was wondering how I ended up devoting this much time to this input device, so I traced the path...
  • Decided I wanted a "good" keyboard, I have had success with Logitech products, so I looked at a wireless illuminated version in the store, was underwhelmed
  • Searched for a "really good" keyboard, found Das, read Das quality has slipped
  • Found Geekhack, read a lot
  • Went to the local Microcenter and tried the various switches, thought I would like brown, ended up liking red
  • In hindsight I might have bought a Ducky Zero with red switches and ended the madness there...
  • Decided illuminated was a necessary feature, posted this thread
  • Waited for WASD, Ducky's were available for brief periods, WASD announced only clear switches in the illuminated "Code" keyboards
  • Started thinking Jagriff was right, illuminated keys would be a crutch while I try to learn proper typing technique
  • Bought a Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action (red switch) - the front printed key option was a last-minute decision
  • Won a Filco TenKeyPad on the big auction site... bought for my wife, who is a CPA
  • Wife "borrowed" the Filco to try at work, now won't return it, doesn't like the TenKeyPad layout