Author Topic: Monitors suddenly goes black  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Naweo

Monitors suddenly goes black
« on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 05:58:10 »
Hey Geeks,

After scouring the internet for a while, I am suspecting a bad PSU and/or too-much consumption of power from one power outlet causes this issue.

The PC is a windows 10, 3070 GPU and newest 10k intel CPU, on windows 10.

I have a 4 monitor quad setup (2 of which are 4k) and every now and then, the monitors just go black, but sound and such is still on.

I do not see any errors under "manage PC"

I have tried to plug min laptops onto another power outlet, and I figured I may need to do the same with some of the monitors.

ALL four monitors goes black at the same time.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Offline yui

Re: Monitors suddenly goes black
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 01:47:02 »
if only one or the oldest would do that on their own timing i would have suspected bad caps in the screen psu (start like that and end up blowing the internal fuse, fixed 4 screens with this exact problem), the fact that all 4 go black at once would steer me towards windows/drivers issues, hopefully, or dying GPU, or if you have everything plugged into the same socket, maybe, very very unlikely when the pc spikes in consumption (what the PSU should smooths, but cheap psu may not) it could create a mini localized brown out and your screens could crash (but then again their PSU should absorb it and not crash) so that would indicate you got some very cheap screens with bad PSU, a bad PSU in your PC and a bad powerstrip with too high resistance, so very unlikely.(if you plainly drew too much power from the wall your fuse/breaker should pop, so you would know, although if it is that change that powerstrip, if it has sufficient resistance to cause a localized brown out it could well also catch your house on fire with less sensitive equipment, )

TL;DR: i would reinstall drivers, then windows, then if you can check with and other GPU and only then worry about the mains power
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 06:43:32 »
Is this:
1 laptop/desktop with 4 external screens
1 laptop screen and 3 external screens
2 laptops with one external each

I need clearer understanding of the setup, also what type of cables you're using to each monitor. Could be driver, power or cables.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline Stompy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 07:12:45 »
Silly one, but I had this problem occasionally, fixed it by turning off slideshow backgrounds. I had a folder of wallpapers I was cycling through, and something about my setup didn't like it when it changed.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 15:26:59 »
Hello, its a PC setup with 4 monitors. Strong corsair 850 PSU and the PC is less than 5 months from newly built.

Will try to update drivers.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 02:46:55 »
It keeps happenning frequently again.

It usually happens right after turning on PC, and all 4 monitors goes "No signal detected" and I am forced to restart.

Any thoughts?

I did update nvidia drivers

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 03:15:53 »
Free fixes...
Try fewer screens, swap cables, see if there is a firmware or driver available from the manufacturers (screens have drivers and firmware, too!).

More screens can cause all sorts of weird things, 2 screens on my Intel gpu works fine, but if I add a third I can't see anything until the OS reaches desktop. Not even bios shows up. Disconnect one screen everything's fine. On my 1070, no issues with 3 screens.

Non free possibilities...
Your cables may be garbage and messing up the frequency/interference or your GPU may not like that many screens going through those specific ports, if you have any adapters, swap one cable to a different type port and see what it does.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 07:37:33 »

Your cables may be garbage

Mostly off-topic, but how does a cable that has worked fine for 2 years suddenly stop working properly? There are no moving parts and they seem to be completely static.
"We're playing for real here."
- Joe Biden 2021-09-10

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 08:55:05 »

Your cables may be garbage

Mostly off-topic, but how does a cable that has worked fine for 2 years suddenly stop working properly? There are no moving parts and they seem to be completely static.

OXIDATION

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 20:07:24 »
OXIDATION

and
Vibration leading to breaks
New outside interference
Component drift may finally reach a point all of the above reaches critical mass.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 02:26:09 »
None of the cables are the issue, as all monitors go black and none of them return to normal use once one monitor is supposedly blacked out as a result of the issue.

I still suspect a graphics / power issue

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 03:23:45 »
"All go black at the same time"
Exactly what mine did by simply having 1 too many screens and when I had one bad cable. They all feed from the same place. Try fewer screens, see if that helps, then reconnect until you see a problem. At least then you will have narrowed it down a little.

Ever wonder why the first things techs INSIST customers do is to check the cables and restart... Because everyone just assumes things are fine and don;t do it themselves. Don't rule things out without actually checking because otherwise you may just run around in circles looking for a problem in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 September 2021, 03:29:33 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More