Author Topic: What computer games do you play?  (Read 874027 times)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
Re: What computer games do you play?
« Reply #3450 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 14:41:46 »
Fallout 1 and 2 should be your first two. Some of the best isometric western style RPGs ever.

You may appreciate Bioshock 1 more if you play the System Shock games first (or have in the past)... up to you.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #3451 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 14:49:07 »
Got Titanfall (PC) for like £3 a few weeks ago and just.. can't... stop... One of the most fun FPSes I've played in years! It's too bad that the game lobbies are now just filled with people who have been playing for a long time, so it can be hard for newer players as they'll often dominate.

That being said, the movement system is amazing, and makes all other FPS games feel slow by comparison now! I also find that with the 'small' number of weapons, you can really hone your skill and not rely on 100s of meaningless stat numbers ala CoD or Battlefield.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3452 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 14:50:27 »
Got Titanfall (PC) for like £3 a few weeks ago and just.. can't... stop... One of the most fun FPSes I've played in years! It's too bad that the game lobbies are now just filled with people who have been playing for a long time, so it can be hard for newer players as they'll often dominate.

That being said, the movement system is amazing, and makes all other FPS games feel slow by comparison now! I also find that with the 'small' number of weapons, you can really hone your skill and not rely on 100s of meaningless stat numbers ala CoD or Battlefield.

Titanfall is good.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline theoriginal123123

« Reply #3453 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 14:53:22 »

Too bad that it's hard to find anyone who plays it now. Would love to get a group together for it.

Titanfall is good.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3454 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 18:45:23 »
Whoa I just checked out a game trailer for Lost Ark Online, and it looks amazing. It's not out yet, I bet a lot of you know about it already. Why can't I play this naow:confused:
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2016, 22:06:17 by csmertx »

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #3455 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:44:55 »
I'm going to start up a character on a vanilla WoW server for some fun, since I never got to experience WoW during that time or during the earlier days of WoW.

Regretting that I didn't get into this game or it's community sooner, so many possible nostalgia ridden memories.  :eek:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3456 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:49:27 »
I'm going to start up a character on a vanilla WoW server for some fun, since I never got to experience WoW during that time or during the earlier days of WoW.

Regretting that I didn't get into this game or it's community sooner, so many possible nostalgia ridden memories.  :eek:

I miss WoW so much, every time I go back it just never lives up to the memories I had playing it. :'(
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3457 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:52:51 »

I miss WoW so much, every time I go back it just never lives up to the memories I had playing it. :'(

I've went back twice since I hit 70 in BC and quit playing high level characters, it's never the same. 
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3458 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 21:56:57 »

I've went back twice since I hit 70 in BC and quit playing high level characters, it's never the same.

After WotLK is when it started going downhill for me. I miss the days where it would take months of grinding on grinding for your raid group to acquire enough gear to finally beat the ending raid boss. Now it seems like people beat it within the first 24 hours of the expansion/update going live.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3459 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:59:48 »

After WotLK is when it started going downhill for me. I miss the days where it would take months of grinding on grinding for your raid group to acquire enough gear to finally beat the ending raid boss. Now it seems like people beat it within the first 24 hours of the expansion/update going live.

I understand why they made things easier, it just sucks when you worked for months to beat a certain boss and then see people taking them down in a couple days like you mentioned.  I ended my WoW days with a lvl 70 character that's sole purpose was for farming to fund my lvl 29 and 39 twink characters lol.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #3460 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:12:16 »
WoW was never particularly tough as a grind to begin with compared to it's predecessors. The grinds in EQ and Final Fantasy were far more brutal, and due to a lack of instancing technology allowing for a true hierarchical nature on servers, guilds were not interested in publishing strats for how to do things so they could keep an edge on being the only ones doing content.

Very different atmosphere to say the least. Humorously, as backwards as it sounds, it was also far more community building.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3461 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 13:26:53 »
WoW was never particularly tough as a grind to begin with compared to it's predecessors. The grinds in EQ and Final Fantasy were far more brutal, and due to a lack of instancing technology allowing for a true hierarchical nature on servers, guilds were not interested in publishing strats for how to do things so they could keep an edge on being the only ones doing content.

Very different atmosphere to say the least. Humorously, as backwards as it sounds, it was also far more community building.

But a lot of people who played WoW never played any MMOs seriously before that, including myself, so they didn't have anything to compare it against.  Also, at what point does a grind turn from hard or complicated to just tedious?  I'm not saying WoW's raiding mechanics were more difficult than other MMOs, but some games that are supposedly hard are just mind-numbingly tedious.

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #3462 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:27:50 »
as of late, I've been playing a lot of Serious Sam 3  :))
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #3463 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 15:51:16 »

But a lot of people who played WoW never played any MMOs seriously before that, including myself, so they didn't have anything to compare it against.  Also, at what point does a grind turn from hard or complicated to just tedious?  I'm not saying WoW's raiding mechanics were more difficult than other MMOs, but some games that are supposedly hard are just mind-numbingly tedious.

EQ was tedious as hell by any definition you want to use - vanilla WoW was a breeze by comparison. Only a few select classes were able to solo - this changed with expansions and accrued gear but some classes never could. The amount of time it took to accrue exp for a level was ridiculous, there were also "hell levels" requiring a multiplier of the regular base for that level range of exp, certain races had exp penalties, and if you died you lost exp unless you were resurrected - the high level resurrections restored nearly all of your exp (96% iirc).

No quests either, so you would camp areas for exp and loot drops from enemies. Certain areas would have a chance to spawn a unique or rare enemy, and that guy would have a loot table - certain items had a % to drop. It was usually one item. The only benefit from this system is that really dedicated people were typically the only ones to hit high levels, leaving a lot of people you wouldn't want to deal with never getting so far :D.

If you died, you had to run back to your corpse with no gear, which is fun when regular enemies can kill you with all your gear on. Corpses rot after 1 full week (realtime) which was a problem in the very early days of raiding in a crazy zone like Plane of Fear. Necromancers were able to summon corpses by purchasing a component to allow them to do so.

Raid mechanics of WoW bosses were actually far more engaging and interesting than EQ or anything that came before it - almost everything in EQ was a basic tank and spank - it was mostly the competition between guilds that was borne for getting to limited resources (bosses) on spawn timers / after server resets that was interesting.

The game did end up with instancing and a lot of mechanics revamped to be much easier/less tedious as a consequence of WoWs imminent and subsequent release, as well as the following months and years  :D.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #3464 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 16:39:38 »
Just got X-Com 2, that is pretty fun. I am not used to that type of game/gameplay but it is a nice change of pace. Weird that I cannot go above 60 FPS with my rig though...

Offline Pdub

« Reply #3465 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 23:08:01 »

Does anyone play PayDay 2? I have all the expansions.

a few friends told me that overkill ruined it with the microtransactions
Not really. Since it is not pvp it has no affect. I played it a bunch recently. They just made it harder

Offline Pdub

« Reply #3466 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 23:08:51 »
Anyone ply league?

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #3467 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:44:56 »
Anyone ply league?

Si, name is qazeqaz!

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #3468 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:14:19 »
I've been enjoying War for the Overworld. Its scratching that Dungeon Keeper itch.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3469 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 16:51:14 »
Been addicted to Dokkan Battle on my phone. It's got a fair amount of story for a mobile game and there's tons of characters to collect that make the briefest of appearances in the cartoon.
Watching the animations is fun, and it scratches my collectors and leveling itches.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #3470 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 02:41:34 »
bro is getting me into cs

god help me

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3471 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 02:45:49 »

god help me
Thats is a really good game but don't get addicted on that game! just don't! GH saved me from that addicting game. You would be buying all them skin if you're addicted and you would watch all the tournament and go crazy!. ex LEM here can quit csgo cause of GH

Offline BLaZe

« Reply #3472 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 14:28:21 »

god help me
Thats is a really good game but don't get addicted on that game! just don't! GH saved me from that addicting game. You would be buying all them skin if you're addicted and you would watch all the tournament and go crazy!. ex LEM here can quit csgo cause of GH

I really love this game but I don't buy any skin  :)) I just have basics skins like sand dune, army sheen...  Actually, I love skins in LoL but I don't really understand people buying a 1k $ knife skin. Anyway, they do what they want with their money, I have nothing to say.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3473 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:54:05 »

god help me

lol hf in australia there isn't much down there from what I can tell

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #3474 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:55:52 »

god help me

I really love this game but I don't buy any skin  :)) I just have basics skins like sand dune, army sheen...  Actually, I love skins in LoL but I don't really understand people buying a 1k $ knife skin. Anyway, they do what they want with their money, I have nothing to say.

I am so bad at CS:GO I don't think I could ever get addicted to it. I have been spared.  :))

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3475 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:15:22 »

god help me

I am so bad at CS:GO I don't think I could ever get addicted to it. I have been spared.  :))

Start watching pro VODs and see how they play, then try and replicate that and tell me that you aren't itching to improve every time that you play ^-^

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3476 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 17:16:59 »
@xondat yea but watch out with cheater tho if you are in dmg to ge

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3477 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 18:03:22 »

I feel like it's fairly easy to tell if someone is cheating when you've played it as much as I have, generally if they nail everything every time then it's likely, but it's hard to describe how to spot them

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #3478 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 19:40:32 »
I play a lot of CSGO- currently LEM since the ranking adjustments.
I also play a lot of Osu! And currently I'm totally addicted to XCOM 2
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline philphilphil

« Reply #3479 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 04:31:36 »
Any Starcraft 2 Players here? Maybe we can create a Geekhack community in SC2 and play some games together, I'm on EU.

Offline BLaZe

« Reply #3480 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 11:30:21 »

I feel like it's fairly easy to tell if someone is cheating when you've played it as much as I have, generally if they nail everything every time then it's likely, but it's hard to describe how to spot them

Super obvious cheater with trigger and wh are sure easy to spot. But when he uses his wh smartly it's becoming a bit harder to spot him. Those who are super obvious are so fun to watch imo, they totally disrespect the other team  :))

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3481 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:01:53 »

Super obvious cheater with trigger and wh are sure easy to spot. But when he uses his wh smartly it's becoming a bit harder to spot him. Those who are super obvious are so fun to watch imo, they totally disrespect the other team  :))

True, not done that in a long time - also not seen one in a few months, probably because I only play ESEA

Offline hullo8d

« Reply #3482 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:06:25 »
currently playing through the witness. it's a really amazing experience that really does give you the feeling of stepping into another world. the game has over 1000 footstep sounds and the ambiance/soundscape is absolutely amazing. probably the most beautiful looking game i've seen in while.

if anybody does play it, a good thing to note is that johnathan blow was really inspired by a play called sleep no more. it's hamlet, but it takes place in a  house which you can walk around and see different scenes taking place. probably the best way of explaining how to play the witness without spoiling it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:08:25 by hullo8d »

Offline Marizen

« Reply #3483 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 10:32:14 »
I've been playing Dirty Bomb and I'll jump on Skyrim occasionally.

Was playing WoW, but I might take a break until Legion. Between work, school, my blog/youtube I just started, and starting to come up with ideas for a new Android game, I just don't have the hours of time it takes to dump into WoW.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3484 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:00:40 »
I started WoW right after Wrath of the Lich King. I think that was before you could purchase a max level toon. Can people start the game with a max level character now? I don't have the patience to grind but I also am apprehensive of starting a game at max level. I suspect that I would feel I am cheating myself of an experience.

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #3485 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:11:57 »
Blade and Soul!!!!

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #3486 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 15:51:14 »
After taking a break from MMO's since Archeage was so mishandled, I just picked up the Conquerer's Package pre-order for Black Desert Online.  I'm pretty excited for this!
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3487 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 17:41:20 »
currently playing through the witness. it's a really amazing experience that really does give you the feeling of stepping into another world. the game has over 1000 footstep sounds and the ambiance/soundscape is absolutely amazing. probably the most beautiful looking game i've seen in while.

if anybody does play it, a good thing to note is that johnathan blow was really inspired by a play called sleep no more. it's hamlet, but it takes place in a  house which you can walk around and see different scenes taking place. probably the best way of explaining how to play the witness without spoiling it.

The game looks interesting but I hate those kinds of puzzles and I hear there's a lots of those same kinds of puzzles.

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
« Reply #3488 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 19:54:30 »
Anyone ply league?

Si, name is qazeqaz!

It's mostly all I play. Feel free to add me too, sambarugh

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #3489 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 02:15:09 »
Anyone ply league?

Si, name is qazeqaz!

Added! We need a GH group/clan, just saying!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3490 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 02:16:11 »
Anyone ply league?

Si, name is qazeqaz!

Added! We need a GH group/clan, just saying!

We have a large thread here for league of legends: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44148.msg2055403#msg2055403

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3491 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 02:40:38 »
Can't sleep so downloading league of legends.

Offline xJudas

« Reply #3492 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 03:31:16 »
Just got done playing SOMA, really good game. Gotta say there's nothing more terrifying than a game where you can't fight back, and can only run and hide.

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #3493 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 13:39:28 »
Just got done playing SOMA, really good game. Gotta say there's nothing more terrifying than a game where you can't fight back, and can only run and hide.

Show Image

Did you ever play Fatal Frame? Feels like that would be right up your alley

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #3494 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 13:56:17 »
Tried some of the Atlas Reactor sneak peak over the weekend. A bit disappointed that it seems setup for pay2win, but may still turn out quite decent. It's an interesting take on the typical turn based isometric formula at any rate.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline W_hinklebottom

« Reply #3495 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 21:08:31 »
Darkest Dungeon, it's pretty fun until the light of RNGesus is taken away from you.

Offline xJudas

« Reply #3496 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 12:12:55 »

Show Image

Did you ever play Fatal Frame? Feels like that would be right up your alley

I have not. I checked out some trailers. Looks like I'm downloading an emulator and starting it up :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3497 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:01:20 »

Show Image

Just watched the playthrough on youtube..  Interesting stuff..

I watched about 20 minutes of it.. then read the rest on the wiki.. '

Very well made game.. great atmosphere. 

Offline kolyz

« Reply #3498 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 14:14:38 »
I've been playing a lot of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth + Afterbirth recently.

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #3499 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 09:02:11 »
I've been playing a lot of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth + Afterbirth recently.

Right on, I have been too. Been trying to play Keeper but from what I can tell, he's a pile of horse****. Giving a three way shot and one heart of health does not make him balanced. Also I swear I get the worst items all the time as him. I'll reroll stuff like, the bean, the poop, or really any item that is a garbage starting item over and over. I've only been able to beat boss rush and moms heart as him. Basically that game becomes straight grinding and tearing your hair out after a certain point...