Author Topic: What computer games do you play?  (Read 874055 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: What computer games do you play?
« Reply #3600 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 11:26:04 »
So heavy Steam users around here? Is it worth it?

Coming from a PS4, I'm gonna join #pcmasterrace but wanna know... is steam the way to go?

Definitely. I love the fact that (for most games) Steam will backup your save files so if something happens to your hard drive you don't loose anything. Also, I hear Steam In Home Streaming is pretty sweet.

Cool, thanks!

I also hope sales and so are more affordable... PS4 games (even on discount) are really expensive. AAA-titles usually still come in at about 30-40 dollars. (down from 60-70-ish).
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3601 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 11:33:56 »

Coming from a PS4, I'm gonna join #pcmasterrace but wanna know... is steam the way to go?

Definitely. I love the fact that (for most games) Steam will backup your save files so if something happens to your hard drive you don't loose anything. Also, I hear Steam In Home Streaming is pretty sweet.

Cool, thanks!

I also hope sales and so are more affordable... PS4 games (even on discount) are really expensive. AAA-titles usually still come in at about 30-40 dollars. (down from 60-70-ish).

For AAA titles you'll probably still see the same prices. But when the do things like the winter sale, sales are pretty big.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3602 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 11:38:30 »
For AAA titles you'll probably still see the same prices. But when the do things like the winter sale, sales are pretty big.

So basically, every winter I'll be broke from now on? :P

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3603 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 11:55:22 »

Pretty much. Welcome to the club ;)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3604 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 12:06:32 »

I think when you first get Steam you spend a ton on sales, but from talking to others and also from personal experience, there tends to be a point where you have most of the games you want and you're just looking for a handful of titles.  That cuts down on your spending quite a bit, as I used to drop $150+ easily for each sale but now I would be surprised if I spent more than $50 for the last couple.

Also, while I love Steam, they do have some serious issues with support so if you never have to use it you'll be happy but if you do have to use it, prepare yourself for the worst.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3605 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 12:52:48 »

I think when you first get Steam you spend a ton on sales, but from talking to others and also from personal experience, there tends to be a point where you have most of the games you want and you're just looking for a handful of titles.  That cuts down on your spending quite a bit, as I used to drop $150+ easily for each sale but now I would be surprised if I spent more than $50 for the last couple.

Also, while I love Steam, they do have some serious issues with support so if you never have to use it you'll be happy but if you do have to use it, prepare yourself for the worst.

For the support, they're forums are pretty good. So you should be able to resolve most issues on your own.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3606 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 13:07:54 »

For the support, they're forums are pretty good. So you should be able to resolve most issues on your own.

I've ever only had one issue with Steam that I did resolve via their forums, but I have a friend who has had numerous problems that had to be resolved via support tickets which took months to resolve.  It also seems to be by far the biggest complaint about Steam from others, as compared to everything else their support seems almost comically bad.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #3607 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 13:16:11 »

I've ever only had one issue with Steam that I did resolve via their forums, but I have a friend who has had numerous problems that had to be resolved via support tickets which took months to resolve.  It also seems to be by far the biggest complaint about Steam from others, as compared to everything else their support seems almost comically bad.

It's true, my brother had an issue with his account and it took months to get it sorted out. Their "support" sessions were also a joke.
Biking is fun.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3608 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 13:42:57 »
I've been having some issues with my Skyrim install and it crashing with mods in win10.

Just got back into Skyrim, and I was having the same problem.  I ended up starting a new save... and that corrected the problem.  I miss my old save, but it's nice revisiting everything for the first time.

... Except for my house.  I really miss my house.

It, like a lot of other things with Steam, is evolving.  That's the cool thing about Valve- they continue to work on the platform and make it better.  They have their hiccups (multi-user and streaming), and their outright problems (getting locked out of your account, and the fact that I can't use my budget software while my MMO is updating  :rolleyes:), but overall, it's a pretty positive experience these days.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 April 2016, 13:47:00 by chuckdee »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3609 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 13:50:16 »
I've been having some issues with my Skyrim install and it crashing with mods in win10.

Just got back into Skyrim, and I was having the same problem.  I ended up starting a new save... and that corrected the problem.  I miss my old save, but it's nice revisiting everything for the first time.

... Except for my house.  I really miss my house.

It, like a lot of other things with Steam, is evolving.  That's the cool thing about Valve- they continue to work on the platform and make it better.  They have their hiccups (multi-user and streaming), and their outright problems (getting locked out of your account, and the fact that I can't use my budget software while my MMO is updating  :rolleyes:), but overall, it's a pretty positive experience these days.

I recently had to revert back about 10 hours of gameplay on Fallout 4, but I think that had to do with all the mods that I had installed.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3610 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 14:46:02 »
I recently had to revert back about 10 hours of gameplay on Fallout 4, but I think that had to do with all the mods that I had installed.

Was it worth it?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3611 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 14:47:02 »

Thanks for the details. Now on to endless configuring systems..

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3612 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 14:55:18 »

Was it worth it?

Well I put the mods back on and haven't had a problem, so yea.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3613 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 17:33:00 »
Hyper Light Drifter is pretty good so far.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3614 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 18:13:13 »
So any diehard Miyazaki fans out there want to give me a 3-5 sentence review on whether DS3 is worth buying now or waiting. How does it stack up to Demon Souls and DS1? Would someone who did not care for DS2 like DS3?

Offline gain

« Reply #3615 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 18:14:36 »
Been bouncing between Stardew Valley and Enter The Gungeon, also now that Deathsmiles is on steam, that too :V

As much as I want to play Dark Souls 3, 2 left a bad taste in my mouth and I'd rather wait till it's on sale tbqh familia

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3616 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 18:14:38 »
So any diehard Miyazaki fans out there want to give me a 3-5 sentence review on whether DS3 is worth buying now or waiting. How does it stack up to Demon Souls and DS1? Would someone who did not care for DS2 like DS3?

What does Hayao Miyazaki have to do with the DS series?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3617 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 18:17:53 »

>Hidetaka

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3618 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 18:28:06 »

>Hidetaka

I kid, I kid.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3619 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 20:12:42 »

I'll be glad when I get to that point  :-[

* chuckdee looks at his 785 game collection

Did I mention I had a slight problem?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3620 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 20:29:28 »
I'm thinking about Skyforge. Looks like it has been accessible in some kind of form for the past year. Anyone check that out?

Offline skycrimes

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3621 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 13:37:58 »
anyone playing battleborn/overwatch?

also never played darksouls but I made the mistake of watching a streamer play the entire game, still worth getting?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3622 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 13:40:59 »

also never played darksouls but I made the mistake of watching a streamer play the entire game, still worth getting?

I watched darksouls 3 boss fights yesterday..

Cool game..

I'm an adult now, so I don't haz the stamina to grind an RPG..

I would like to try overwatch.. wish there was a demo..  And I'm always afraid that the community will die.. like Titan Fall..

Offline zearoh

« Reply #3623 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 14:20:32 »

Cool game..

I would like to try overwatch.. wish there was a demo..  And I'm always afraid that the community will die.. like Titan Fall..
Show Image

Dark Souls 3 really has me hooked right now! Personally I recommend it :thumb:

You may be in luck to try Overwatch actually. They have a beta test weekend starting tomorrow. I don't know how they release their waves but you can read more about it here: http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20096044/ Good luck! :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3624 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:36:01 »

Cool game..

Show Image

Dark Souls 3 really has me hooked right now! Personally I recommend it :thumb:

You may be in luck to try Overwatch actually. They have a beta test weekend starting tomorrow. I don't know how they release their waves but you can read more about it here: http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20096044/ Good luck! :)

Is Dark Souls 3 sick difficult with instant dying all over the place with extra instant rage like Bloodborne?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3625 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 17:19:51 »
I can see why no one is playing skyforge. I uninstalled after five minutes of gameplay :confused:

Offline zearoh

« Reply #3626 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 17:29:43 »

Is Dark Souls 3 sick difficult with instant dying all over the place with extra instant rage like Bloodborne?

Honestly, it's hard to say. It's difficult but that tends to change on if you've played a Souls game before and if you ended up getting better at it. IMO the difficulty is just right, I die when I'm too ambitious or at my own error... I don't feel like I've experienced any deaths in DS3 where I can say it wasn't my fault in some way.

The load times are also a lot faster than previous installments so when you die you respawn really quickly and can continue to have fun beating your head against a wall until one of you breaks ;)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3627 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 17:39:16 »

Honestly, it's hard to say. It's difficult but that tends to change on if you've played a Souls game before and if you ended up getting better at it. IMO the difficulty is just right, I die when I'm too ambitious or at my own error... I don't feel like I've experienced any deaths in DS3 where I can say it wasn't my fault in some way.

The load times are also a lot faster than previous installments so when you die you respawn really quickly and can continue to have fun beating your head against a wall until one of you breaks ;)

I've never played a souls game besides bloodborne (ymmv whether bloodborne is "souls"-enough). And I am terrified by that game. I like to believe I'm an ok gamer but I keep dying in that game. Frustration beyond belief. I would very much like to pick up bloodborne again where I left, but couldn't find the courage to do so... Dead lurks around every staircase, corner, building you go in that game.

Offline zearoh

« Reply #3628 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 19:09:53 »

I've never played a souls game besides bloodborne (ymmv whether bloodborne is "souls"-enough). And I am terrified by that game. I like to believe I'm an ok gamer but I keep dying in that game. Frustration beyond belief. I would very much like to pick up bloodborne again where I left, but couldn't find the courage to do so... Dead lurks around every staircase, corner, building you go in that game.

Bloodborne is a Souls game, its playstyle is faster than Demons/Dark Souls but the general mechanics remain the same. Personally I believe the games are difficult until you learn the patterns that enemies present to you. Once you have them down it's pretty clear when to attack and when to dodge/run away. There's a lot of patience involved and loads of trial and error but you'll find yourself gradually getting better if you take it slow and methodical. That said, learning when and where to dodge are two very important elements of the game and mastering those two things will have your enjoyment skyrocket.

Good luck in Bloodborne, if you finish it you should get the DLC; the boss fight against Lady Maria was great fun! :)

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #3629 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 01:38:55 »
i have close to 2000 hours on osu now, they recently added a playtime feature, before i estimated it at 1000 D:

soon reaching the 1k mark on dota

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3630 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 06:43:18 »

Bloodborne is a Souls game, its playstyle is faster than Demons/Dark Souls but the general mechanics remain the same. Personally I believe the games are difficult until you learn the patterns that enemies present to you. Once you have them down it's pretty clear when to attack and when to dodge/run away. There's a lot of patience involved and loads of trial and error but you'll find yourself gradually getting better if you take it slow and methodical. That said, learning when and where to dodge are two very important elements of the game and mastering those two things will have your enjoyment skyrocket.

Good luck in Bloodborne, if you finish it you should get the DLC; the boss fight against Lady Maria was great fun! :)

Thanks for the info! Time to learn them patterns then. Hehe.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #3631 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 09:07:59 »

Oh man that actually came out? I didn't back the kickstarter, but I had a bad feeling that one was gonna be some vaporware.

On another note: My roommate has been playing a buttload of Warframe lately and had me check it out. So far there's tons of stuff going over my head but the gameplay itself is fun and pretty impressive for a "free-to-play" game. Might stick with it, not sure.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3632 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 09:51:28 »

Oh man that actually came out? I didn't back the kickstarter, but I had a bad feeling that one was gonna be some vaporware.

On another note: My roommate has been playing a buttload of Warframe lately and had me check it out. So far there's tons of stuff going over my head but the gameplay itself is fun and pretty impressive for a "free-to-play" game. Might stick with it, not sure.

I have Warframe in my Steam library but I've never played it. I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3633 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 09:55:04 »

Hell yeah, was pretty hyped. One of the leads has a cool podcast going right now that's a mix between interviews in the games scene in LA and his personal experience leading up to and after the release of the game. IMO it's pretty great:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/playscape/
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3634 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 10:00:32 »

Hell yeah, was pretty hyped. One of the leads has a cool podcast going right now that's a mix between interviews in the games scene in LA and his personal experience leading up to and after the release of the game. IMO it's pretty great:

Been hearing great things about that game.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #3635 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 10:33:08 »

I have Warframe in my Steam library but I've never played it. I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

Yeah, I'd heard the name but never looked into it until my friend started playing it. So far I've only been playing solo, but obviously there's mmo-style play as well, I really appreciate having the choice. My only complaint so far I think would be that I haven't found the perfect control scheme for me yet.

Oh man that sounds pretty rad, I'll have to check that out.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #3636 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 10:45:32 »
dirty bomb is best game

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3637 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 21:24:30 »
dirty bomb is best game

Worst shooter NA/EU/AUS/SEA/SA/CIS
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3638 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 23:00:21 »

Yeah, I'd heard the name but never looked into it until my friend started playing it. So far I've only been playing solo, but obviously there's mmo-style play as well, I really appreciate having the choice. My only complaint so far I think would be that I haven't found the perfect control scheme for me yet.

Yea, I can understand that. I've been playing Killing Floor 2 and you can play solo or online and there's definitly a learning curve on how to best kill each type of zed.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #3639 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:08:51 »
I've been spending all of my time recently on DS3, Hyper Light Drifter and Dirt Rally. Hyper Light is pretty cool. It looks great but is capped at 30fps. Dirt Rally is pretty hard, I tried a rwd car and ran it off a cliff. DS3 is my first DS game and I'm really liking it. That feeling you get when you finally kill a boss after dying SO MANY TIMES is great.
Biking is fun.

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #3640 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 03:26:00 »
mostly CS:GO but also Rainbow Six Siege and The Division :p

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3641 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:15:17 »

I'm thinking of getting back in the CS game... I've done it last since 1.6(.1?).. is CS GO any good? Is it still funz?

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #3642 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 09:21:43 »

I'm thinking of getting back in the CS game... I've done it last since 1.6(.1?).. is CS GO any good? Is it still funz?
for me it still funz because im playing compe mode with friends  :thumb:
if solo que just enjoy the game haha

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3643 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 09:24:39 »

Thanks! Do you need sick specs to make it run smoothly... What rig do you run it on?

Offline Khuya

« Reply #3644 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 10:28:12 »
Solo Dota for the last 8 years, off and on, try different games for a bit here and there, but can never find the same satisfaction when playing Dota.  I have been trying to focus more on this hobby to reduce the # of dota games play per day.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #3645 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 11:59:59 »

Thanks! Do you need sick specs to make it run smoothly... What rig do you run it on?

CS:GO doesn't require much. The minimum specs are pretty low.

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 processor or better
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 8 GB available space
Biking is fun.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3646 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:11:02 »

Graphics: Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 3.0

Would it work in XP in a VMWare fusion under OS X on my late mbp 2010 (with core i7, 4GB, and 512 330 GT M)?

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #3647 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:17:47 »

Would it work in XP in a VMWare fusion under OS X on my late mbp 2010 (with core i7, 4GB, and 512 330 GT M)?

Don't even need a VM. It runs on macs too.

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core Duo Processor (2GHz or better)
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2400 or better / NVidia 8600M or better
Biking is fun.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3648 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:19:49 »

Don't even need a VM. It runs on macs too.

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core Duo Processor (2GHz or better)
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2400 or better / NVidia 8600M or better

Time to get me that then!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3649 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:22:04 »