Author Topic: Apple Extended Keyboard II, sore left pinky finger  (Read 2427 times)

Offline sameer.wahid

Apple Extended Keyboard II, sore left pinky finger
« on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:10:31 »
I recently switched away from my MS ergo kb to an Apple Extended Keyboard II. I love the tactile feel, but I'm starting to feel some pain in my left pinky finger. I suppose it's most from tapping the "a" and left shift keys. Anyone know of a way to help solve this problem? (lower the actuation force, inject steroids into my pinky, whatever).

Offline iri

Re: Apple Extended Keyboard II, sore left pinky finger
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:16:35 »

seriously, moving to a lighter switch. cherry blues, browns or ergo clears (once you are ready to do the modding).
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:16:48 »
iirc that keyboard has yellow or orange ALPs, so i would suggest lubin them. as for how to do so there should be a page on wiki, or maybe someone here will be able to help you

yeah alps :
http://www.google.ch/search?hl=fr&safe=off&biw=320&bih=416&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=ALPS+apple+extended+keyboard+2&btnG=#biv=i%7C3%3Bd%7C-ougfCzoL2FYfM%3A
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:19:50 by ishumprod »
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:36:52 »
They are cream dampened ALPS (the original AEK used undampened orange).

I know that some people swear by lubing their ALPS switches with RO-59. If I had an AEKII that I loved, that's what I would try.

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:37:13 »
It probably has "dampened cream" Alps which are not too heavy.

If it is old and dirty, they can get sluggish.

I got some teflon lube for mine, which helped.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:40:18 »
It probably has "dampened cream" Alps which are not too heavy.

If it is old and dirty, they can get sluggish.

I got some teflon lube for mine, which helped.
Yes, dirt. You'd want to clean the affected switches before lubing them. The good thing about it being the left pinky is you probably only have to service 2 keys.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 12:51:20 »
If you like apple.. get their WIRED full size scissor board... that's really the only good one... 

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 13:16:14 »
If you like apple.. get their WIRED full size scissor board... that's really the only good one... 

I disagree. I have two Apple Extended Keyboard's (M0115) and think they're great. I don't care for the feel (or sound) of the AEK II at all.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 13:54:19 »
type for an hour or two on the M0116 of m teacher and i have to say alps feel great. nothing to see with scissor
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline sameer.wahid

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:25:03 »
Thanks, I'll look up how to lubricate the switches. They are indeed the cream ALPS. I estimate they have an actuation force of about 75g, much more than I am used to!

Offline simon_C

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 17:23:30 »
yeah i'm gonna say they definitely need lube then, my AEKII was much lighter than that in the keys,

Offline sameer.wahid

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 07:41:38 »
Just to follow up, I never did get around to lubricating the switches, but after a few weeks the soreness went away - either I had worked in the switch enough, or my pinky adjusted.