Author Topic: Realforce 87U issues  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
Realforce 87U issues
« on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:08:35 »
Welp. I've had this keyboard for a hour and a half and already I have noticed two pretty major issues...
1.) The DIP switch flat out, does not work. at all ASASDASD see caps lock where Ctrl should be... very frustrating...
2.) The worst issue, the case barely holds onto itself, if I push on the top part of the case on the wrist area, the top part literally moves, leaving the bottom piece behind.....
I don't think I should be seeing these kind of issues in a $250 board... and if there is a fix to the DIP switch not working, I would love to know, because I actually like the feeling and sound of the keyboard a lot.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Realforce 87U issues
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 15:58:00 »
You have to unplug the board and re plug it in in order for the dip switch change to take effect.

And the case issue is well know. It doesn't affect the reliability or operation of the board. 

If it bothers you that much I'm sure you can get an exchange, or at the very least sell it in the classifieds.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Realforce 87U issues
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 16:47:15 »
I don't understand the case problem.  You push down from the top and the bottom separates?  That doesn't make sense.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:04:26 »
You have to unplug the board and re plug it in in order for the dip switch change to take effect.

And the case issue is well know. It doesn't affect the reliability or operation of the board. 

If it bothers you that much I'm sure you can get an exchange, or at the very least sell it in the classifieds.
You have no idea how stupid I feel now. I turned my computer off and on like 30 times trying to get it to work... but never tried unpluging it.
I don't understand the case problem.  You push down from the top and the bottom separates?  That doesn't make sense.
Its hard to explain, the top part of the case kinda slides around.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 17:53:23 »
It's a result of the way the case is designed (screwless)
Because the whole thing just clips together, there is some play between the top and bottom half of the case. I doubt Topre skimped here just because they were going to save money on screws, given that they use about 300 screws to hold the PCB and mounting plate together. Some of their OEM boards have screws in them anyway.

It feels a bit cheap at first that the case moves, but it has some benefits such as easy cleaning in an office environment - just pop the top off and brush it down - no screwdriver required :)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 19:49:58 »

You have no idea how stupid I feel now. I turned my computer off and on like 30 times trying to get it to work... but never tried unpluging it.
[/quote

On the bottom half of the case check to see if the four tabs (space bar end) are fully engaged. When I received my 87u a couple of tabs weren't fully snapped in, also check to see if the pcb-plate is lined up in case properly then the tabs should latch tight. The keyboard will be solid, mine was after that.   

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 20:23:07 »

On the bottom half of the case check to see if the four tabs (space bar end) are fully engaged. When I received my 87u a couple of tabs weren't fully snapped in, also check to see if the pcb-plate is lined up in case properly then the tabs should latch tight. The keyboard will be solid, mine was after that.
Everything was the way it should.. and to make sure I took the pcb out and put it back in anyway.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:32:25 by Rule16 »
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 23:59:16 »
To firm up the grip between the two halves, you can try placing some masking tape along the front edge before clipping them together. That might help push them apart and tighten the clips.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:18:17 »
I have the same problem too with the loose case. Just got my RF 87U 45g uniform. I was really disappointed when I found out because it makes it feel sort of cheap, but knowing that it's a common issue kind of made me feel a bit better cause now I know I don't have a DOA.

Other than that, the keys type like a dream and feel great. I did email EK about this issue and here's what they had to say:

"The top of the 87U probably moves around more than most keyboards, as it is a screwless case design, but if you're not satisfied with it, we can replace it. However, we cannot not guarantee we can satisfy your subjectivity! Let me know if you'd like us to set up a replacement."

Pretty nice of them huh? I think I'm just gonna keep my current since, like they said, there is no guarantee and then I'd just be wasting my time and money if I got the same exact issue with a replacement. Also, I really just wanna keep my 87U nearby at all times since I'm pretty much in love with it now and can't possibly part ways with it for more than 2 minutes.  By the way, my WPM increased by like 20 within an hour of using this keyboard compared to using MX blues before. :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank: :blank:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:28:49 »
$250.... wooo quality...

It sounds to me like you guys are making justifications for your inadequate experience.. Kinda like that guy who went to a crappy play and told everyone how great it was.... and the more he thought about it the more he convinced himself that he "liked" the play while he is actually just putting off the fact that he just wasted $250 to see such a travesty...

STOP this bull****...  this is unhealthy psychology.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:31:38 »
Its not a bad keyboard, just not a great one either.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:36:21 by Rule16 »
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:34:25 »

congratulations, you've made my "do not h8" list.

Yes, you are correct in your deduction... I too was tricked into getting what I was lead to believe by these topre worshipers to be the Jesus-board.. Only to end up with an underwhelming Moses...

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:37:32 »

congratulations, you've made my "do not h8" list.

Yes, you are correct in your deduction... I too was tricked into getting what I was lead to believe by these topre worshipers to be the Jesus-board.. Only to end up with an underwhelming Moses...
I didn't mean it like that, I still like my Topre, I just don't think its the best keyboard ever made like a lot of people seem to.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:45:40 »
It's completely subjective, tp. We know you don't think Topre's are worth the money. Several others do. Seriously, why can't you let that be? I'm honestly curious.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:49:16 by daerid »

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 10:53:33 »
My top cover moves around a little bit too, but honestly that is not really an issue.  The typing experience and quality of the switches more than makes up for the top cover being loose because of its design.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 13:11:08 »
I too was tricked into getting what I was lead to believe by these topre worshipers to be the Jesus-board.. Only to end up with an underwhelming Moses...

Hmm, since Topre keyboards are made in Japan, wouldn't a Topre be a "Buddha-board"?

Speaking of the Buddha, I think he said a couple of useful things back when he was alive.  Like: "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." ~ the Buddha.

Praise Topre!  Amen.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:46:13 »
What I did to straighten out a RF (which also helps w/ the top part of the case) is...

Set it on a flat surface.  Put your fingers on all four corners of the keyboard...Press it down hard.  Try doing the top two corners.  Then the bottom two.  Keep doing all of these until the board is perfectly flat.  Some people have said you can twist it..and you can..but this makes sure whatever you're doing makes it flat.  It will help w/ the wonky top part and it'll also set it into place nicely....