Author Topic: New Keyboard, need help deciding. (MX Black)  (Read 1160 times)

Offline mathiasdk1

New Keyboard, need help deciding. (MX Black)
« on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:28:13 »
Hello, i'm a little new to mech keyboards, even though i have tried some of my friends keyboards(so i know which switch i like). I'm from denmark so i can't get my hands on such keyboards as the DAS or a Filco here (at least not in a nordic layout). i have narrowed down my seach a little and have decided to choose between the cm storm quickfire rapid and the 6gv2. the reason is because of the price of course, but also because of what i have read about them and the switches i can get them in. something i quite like about mech keyboards is the customizability(like new keycaps and such) im playing FPS and a little bit RTS. I really need help deciding between those two keyboards. i know that its hard to fully customize the 6gv2 because of the wierd space shift and enter key.
Ps. I can live without the numpad, and i dont care about lights and that ****.

Sorry for my not perfect english, and have a nice day!

-Mathiasdk1

EDIT: I also do a bit of coding in my spare time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 15:32:01 by mathiasdk1 »

Offline mathiasdk1

Re: New Keyboard, need help deciding. (MX Black)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:28:41 »
*BUMP* I really need help deciding between those two keyboards, so if anybody would be so sweet to tell me why i should buy the one or the other.

-Mathiasdk1

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:32:54 »
QFR - although a very small percentage of users have had problems, the vast majority, including me, are completely satisfied.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:21:03 »
I would say QFR too, though Steelseries 7g is quite nice too.  But if you don't need the numpad, get a keyboard without it!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:44:04 »
make sure you know what you're getting into with blacks..  it's not necessarily having strong fingers.. It's having ENDURANCE...

Offline mathiasdk1

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 04:31:49 »
One of my friends have the 6gv2, and i quite like it both the design and the switches. i have been using his at a LAN event for like 2 hours straight playing CS:S and i didn't really get tired in my fingers. i just can't decide if i want the 60% keyboard or the full one. thanks for the answers so far, andi seems like people thinks the QFR is better than the 6gv2.

-Mathiasdk1

Offline tns

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 04:51:55 »
my first keyboard was black... and I got really tired playing half a day with blacks...
Choose wisely... I am right now disliking blacks switches

Offline mathiasdk1

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:07:42 »
At first i really wanted a MX Brown keyboard. then i found out that the only keyboard i could get in denmark in that price range is the QFR TK which i don't really like. also i live with my parents and my brother which doesn't like the sound of me speaking allready. so blues aren't possible.

-Mathiasdk1

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:47:48 »
I have heard good things of the SS, but I have heard of far more people getting a QFR.

Plus we have CM reps lurking around GH, usually ready and willing to answer your questions or help with support.

Unless you specifically need a numeric keypad, go for the QFR.  I have at least one of each, and my next one is TKL - the desk space saving is fantastic!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mathiasdk1

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 00:42:16 »
Allright guys, i went with the SS 6gv2 because of build quality and functionallity. i hope it was a good choice and thanks for the quick answers i got :)

-Mathiasdk1

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 00:54:23 »
Build like a tank - hope you enjoy it :)

Let us know what you think of it once it arrives.