Author Topic: Anyone ever fell guilty for loving a cheap keyboard more?  (Read 2133 times)

Offline ValerieV

Anyone ever fell guilty for loving a cheap keyboard more?
« on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:11:30 »
Has anyone here ever felt guilty because they love a cheap keyboard more? I have the Cherry ML 4100 and i love the thing. At times i have complaints about it but nothing too major. However, i also own a HHKB, a Leopold Topre, Filco cherry mx keyboards and a Matias Tactile Pro. I keep going back to using this 4100 keyboard. I can't help but wonder what does this keyboard have over me that makes me love it so much and neglect my more expensive, better made keyboards? The ML switches are stiff at times and they feel like there is sand stuck in them but i can't stop using it.  :confused:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Anyone ever fell guilty for loving a cheap keyboard more?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:17:36 »
Not sure you could call it cheap but I really like my laptop keyboard and my logitech K750 :eek:

But thats probably because I've been using them for a couple years and that is what I'm used to but I don't think I could ever go back to not having some type of mechanical for daily use.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:27:40 »
Hmm...........

This might be what's going on

In a world where women are photoshop perfect, you would naturally feel inferior..

Thus you've projected yourself onto that keyboard.

The ML represents you in the company of prettier taller girls, the topre, filco, leopold.

You've developed a bond with the keyboard because it is your wish that in the real world, others would see you and hold you as special despite your obvious deficits compared to those who are superior..

In rescuing that board, you are saving and protecting your own ego.

I don't claim that "I" am superior... and I am not trying to be condescending. :D

Offline ksm123

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 17:38:05 »
No need to feel guilty, you've found your ideal switch. You can sell all other keyboards, and be happy.

Buy one more 4100 keyboard and learn if ML switch benefits from lubrication :-)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 18:29:45 »
Hmm...........

This might be what's going on

In a world where women are photoshop perfect, you would naturally feel inferior..

Thus you've projected yourself onto that keyboard.

The ML represents you in the company of prettier taller girls, the topre, filco, leopold.

You've developed a bond with the keyboard because it is your wish that in the real world, others would see you and hold you as special despite your obvious deficits compared to those who are superior..

In rescuing that board, you are saving and protecting your own ego.

I don't claim that "I" am superior... and I am not trying to be condescending. :D

That is the funniest response i have seen. That might be exactly what is going on. However, i must admit, the ML switches are not my favorite switch. I actually really love the topres. That is what is making this whole situation so odd. The switches aren't that great and the keyboard itself feels too cramp but yet...there's a bond i have that the other keyboards haven't had with me.

Offline Hour

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 19:23:57 »
quality > price. nothing more to it.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 19:40:25 »
But the ML 4100 quality isn't as good as some of the other keyboards. The HHKB feels a lot sturdier and better quality.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 19:52:51 »
My switches feel satisfying to type on. I have yet to lube my 4100, but I like it the way it is already. There are several others here who like the ML switches and don't mind the minor flaws.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:20:06 »
Sometimes typing on something fancy is stressful for me. I type carefully on my Poker because I know I spent $300+ on it. Every now and then it's a relief to type on something without that kind of responsibility!

Offline keymaster

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:31:58 »
Really? What are you worried about exactly? 

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:33:09 »
Nope, there is absolutely nothing like this DK1087 out there right now, and I love it.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:33:18 »
I don't think i would ever lube my switches because it looks like it is hard to do as i have seen some videos of people completely taking the switch apart and then putting it back together. Yikes! Some of you guys are great at this stuff, i am not. When i get a keyboard the most modification i do to it is switch a couple of keycaps and that is all.  :(

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:39:08 »
Nothing in particular, it's just that I type with less force because I want to keep everything in perfect condition. I know that each switch is rated to 50m presses, but nothing else I own is built to an industrial standard. As an everyday consumer it feels natural for me to try and baby something that I care about.

Just like trying not to run if I'm wearing expensive shoes. Sometimes it's just comfortable running around with an old pair of sneakers you don't care about.

Edit: So a stuck or weird feeling switch may be an imagined/irrational fear, but it is a fear nonetheless.

It may have to do with me constantly typing on the terrible keyboards at school with stick keys and presses that don't register. It just scares me to death thinking about that happening to my baby!
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2013, 20:46:54 by Lastpilot »

Offline dadgh

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 21:09:34 »
I don't know if it's considered "cheap" but I love my Noppoo Choc Mini waaaay more than my Filco. It's like a poor man's version of the LZMX

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 21:39:25 »
I don't think i would ever lube my switches because it looks like it is hard to do as i have seen some videos of people completely taking the switch apart and then putting it back together. Yikes! Some of you guys are great at this stuff, i am not. When i get a keyboard the most modification i do to it is switch a couple of keycaps and that is all.  :(

ah.. y are you not leveraging your gender + points... Pick any lonely Local GHer here, and I'm pretty sure you could just pm, show up at their house, and they'll do whateves for free...

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 21:43:29 »
right now I've got full-on wood for IBM Thinkpad scissor switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 21:48:07 »
right now I've got full-on wood for IBM Thinkpad scissor switches

they're very good initially, but they wear quickly, good thing replacements are cheap.. Make sure you're getting ORIGINAL lenovo parts though, cuz they have 3rd party aftermarket replacement keyboards and they're not nearly as good.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 22:35:29 »
I still like my Apple Aluminium keyboard, although I haven't used it for a long time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline keymaster

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 22:43:55 »
Nothing in particular, it's just that I type with less force because I want to keep everything in perfect condition. I know that each switch is rated to 50m presses, but nothing else I own is built to an industrial standard. As an everyday consumer it feels natural for me to try and baby something that I care about.

Just like trying not to run if I'm wearing expensive shoes. Sometimes it's just comfortable running around with an old pair of sneakers you don't care about.

Edit: So a stuck or weird feeling switch may be an imagined/irrational fear, but it is a fear nonetheless.

It may have to do with me constantly typing on the terrible keyboards at school with stick keys and presses that don't register. It just scares me to death thinking about that happening to my baby!

Don't worry. That keyboard will outlive your next few vehicles. There's no need to baby it :) The only thing you'll ever have to replace (purely for cosmetic reasons) are the keycaps.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 03:05:34 »
I absolutely love Unicomps and Model Ms which are rather cheap for mechanical keyboards. Not feeling guilty about it.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 03:53:39 »
I love my Ducky YotD MX red more than any other keyboard I own. Yeah it's not a cheap keyboard, but considering that I've dropped over $400+ on a couple custom modded boards; in comparison it's cheap and still my favorite board for whatever reason. It has been lubed and o-ringed which bumps up it's value I suppose, but still it's the closest to my heart even next to a fully modded Korean custom.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 08:12:43 »
I like having a reliable older car that can take a few dings in a parking lot without me having to get cranked up about it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 09:53:23 »
I don't really like any of my prior rubber domes, but my first mechanial keyboard (Storm Trigger) was great, even though it was not expensive when I got it (good sale).  I can't say I was awed by my Filco after it, even though it cost me half as much as the Filco.  Sure, the Filco TKL is nice and small, which I love, but typing on the Trigger was a pleasure and very comfy, and I loved the included wrist rest.  The keys on the Trigger have a nice soft-touch coating too, which felt very soothing, as did the wrist rest.  It's a comfy keyboard with the larger bezel and rubbery coating + wristrest.  I'm moving onto smaller keyboards, but I'll always be fond of the Trigger!
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 09:58:51 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 10:45:27 »
I've been using the cheapest Logitech keyboard I could find for a while as a temporary replacement for dead laptop keyboards (it happened a lot).

It doesn't even have a proper name, just a code.

Well it worked, and it worked better than the laptop keyboards.

I won't claim it goes near a proper switch keyboard but it does the job admirably for the price (I probably gave around $10).

It came to prove Logitech are insanely good in proper manufacturing of input devices. Unfortunately their Marketing division probably considers the mechanical keyboard market a niche (which it is) so their range is extremely limited, but if they had a big range, I wouldn't look back. They are simply Wizards on plastic.