Author Topic: Best mx blue mechanical keyboard?  (Read 5426 times)

Offline 222lu222

Best mx blue mechanical keyboard?
« on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:31:44 »
Only requirements are blue switches lol, LED's any color. I was looking at the BWU but haven't heard to many great things about it so what would you guys recommend for his very first mechanic keyboard

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Best mx blue mechanical keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:32:38 »
Only requirements are blue switches lol, LED's any color. I was looking at the BWU but haven't heard to many great things about it so what would you guys recommend for his very first mechanic keyboard

I recommend Ergo dox with Mx blue switches...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:43:44 »
The problems of typical qwerty keyboards that are solved by the ergodox

Inefficient layouts.. it is known that the standard keyboard layout is not the most efficient.

Ontop of that, an efficient layout may only be efficient for a subset of all users, but not EVERYONE..

Thus, Ergodox overcomes this problem by being fully programmable and in 10 layers.. you can have 10 different keys mapped to each key of the ergodox should you choose..

Staggered key layout problem

The standard keyboard has staggered keys rows, while the ergodox has straight columns.. if you look at the way your fingers bend they bend straight downwards, not across..

Wrist and shoulder injury...

this is perhaps the greatest advantage of the ergodox.. it is a split keyboard..   this does 2 things.. It allows you to place the pieces as far apart as you like to fit your should width specifically. thus reducing shoulder strain..

secondly it allows you to tent the keyboard in the middle at any angle. this greatly alleviates the problems due to turning your wrist too far to accommodate a flat keyboard.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:50:51 »

Ignore tp4tissue. He's now an ergofreak. I would probably recommend the Ducky Shine. All common switches and quite a few colors.

Just so you aren't clueless, the keyboard tp4tissue's talking about, the Ergodox, is a custom ergonomic keyboard designed by the community. Currently, you cannot get one, though there may be more group buys, and you most likely have to assemble it yourself, as well as not having any LED support.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:53:37 »
Ignore tp4tissue. He's now an ergofreak.

having heard that I too want to try ergodox... maybe need to go to some meetups
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:59:23 »

Ignore tp4tissue. He's now an ergofreak. I would probably recommend the Ducky Shine. All common switches and quite a few colors.

Just so you aren't clueless, the keyboard tp4tissue's talking about, the Ergodox, is a custom ergonomic keyboard designed by the community. Currently, you cannot get one, though there may be more group buys, and you most likely have to assemble it yourself, as well as not having any LED support.

This gentlemen here is part of the staggered qwerty entrenchment problem...

Thing such as pretty led lighting for example does not alter the user experience much at all..

Users such as intelli722 are the least intelligent of consumers...  they spend far more time LOOKING at the tools they buy than actually utilizing them..

The group buy for ergodox round 3 is inevitable... have a little patience, have a little boldness,   This one new thing will dramatically improve the interface between you and your pc or mac.... 

Offline inteli722

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:04:22 »

This gentlemen here is part of the staggered qwerty entrenchment problem...

Thing such as pretty led lighting for example does not alter the user experience much at all..

Users such as intelli722 are the least intelligent of consumers...  they spend far more time LOOKING at the tools they buy than actually utilizing them..

The group buy for ergodox round 3 is inevitable... have a little patience, have a little boldness,   This one new thing will dramatically improve the interface between you and your pc or mac....

You clearly can't read. I never said I have an LED-backlit keyboard, just that I had heard great things about the Ducky Shine, and I've recommended it before, and the person who got it is very happy with it. 222lu222, the OP, ASKED for LED keyboards.

LED's any color

He wants one, so he can have one. I was pointing out that the Ergodox isn't available right now.

2/10 obvious troll (not that I expected more from you, tp4tissue :P)
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:06:58 by inteli722 »
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:42:48 »
If you switch between different keyboards (e.g. on different computers) during the day, it might be better to have a consistent layout, rather than continually switching between layouts.

So Ducky TK if you want numpad, or TKL without.  Choice of LED colours.  Wait for Ducky Shine 3 and get extra lighting modes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:44:20 »
If you switch between different keyboards (e.g. on different computers) during the day, it might be better to have a consistent layout, rather than continually switching between layouts.

So Ducky TK if you want numpad, or TKL without.  Choice of LED colours.  Wait for Ducky Shine 3 and get extra lighting modes.

that's easy... just buy 3 x ergodox

Offline inteli722

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:46:23 »

Haven't seen any backlit ergodoxes, tp. I point again to:

LED's any color

More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:59:21 »

LED's any color

Part of recommending keyboards to the younger generation is guiding them not only towards something Novel, but that of which is truly Useful.

Should they join the board with some misguidance on part of the Razer-tacky-blue-lights marketing.. we should aim to correct or at least ameliorate the false ideal they've been seduced by...

Offline inteli722

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:12:07 »

LED's any color

Part of recommending keyboards to the younger generation is guiding them not only towards something Novel, but that of which is truly Useful.

Should they join the board with some misguidance on part of the Razer-tacky-blue-lights marketing.. we should aim to correct or at least ameliorate the false ideal they've been seduced by...

So, if the option for what they want is not only there in abundance, but CHEAPER, we're still supposed to push them to what you think is right?

What are we, Best Buy?
More

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:22:50 »
hey man, hey man....

.... id take a backlit ergodox for reals

--

btw "ergofreaks"? you hurt my feelings

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:25:45 »

LED's any color

So, if the option for what they want is not only there in abundance, but CHEAPER, we're still supposed to push them to what you think is right?

What are we, Best Buy?

stop trolling intelli.. the ergo dox was my recommendation.. I gave my reason for it..   

functionally it is superior to anything else on the market..

in the end 222lu222 will decide whether he wants to buy a flashy but ultimately uncomfortable and highly flawed keyboard, Or the more advanced ergodox.

cost wise, it's really not that far apart, since most people will end up spending at least $200 anyway with keycaps and accessories..

Why not do it right the first time.. with an ergodox...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:27:27 »
hey man, hey man....

--

They're jealous of our sheer ergo powers

Offline inteli722

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:29:01 »
hey man, hey man....

--

He's now an ergofreak.

Look at his comments. He's completely ignoring the OP and just tells him to get an Ergodox. All he can talk about is an ergodox and how terribad the staggered layout is. On this, a thread completely unrelated to an ergodox, he says "Get an ergodox". Not at all meant to hurt the feelings of other Ergodox fans, just as long as they don't shove it in my face or make it a cult (I have the same opinion on Bronies).

I, for one, would like to get an ergodox, but my cash is short, so I'll barely have enough spare cash to get switches for my Phantom.
More

Offline inteli722

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 22:38:15 »

LED's any color

What are we, Best Buy?

stop trolling intelli.. the ergo dox was my recommendation.. I gave my reason for it..   

in the end 222lu222 will decide whether he wants to buy a flashy but ultimately uncomfortable and highly flawed keyboard, Or the more advanced ergodox.

cost wise, it's really not that far apart, since most people will end up spending at least $200 anyway with keycaps and accessories..

Pros:
  • Customizable Layout, switches, case
  • ergonomic, "superior"* layout

Cons:
  • Make it yourself-requires time, effort
  • Doesn't deliver what the OP asks for
  • Expensive right off the bat
  • Only available in limited quantities/at certain times
  • "Superior" layout requires readjustment every time user uses different keyboard

For all we know, he could be completely done with this community after this (fat chance, but it's a possibility we have to consider), so he may end up not spending $300+ on one keyboard. He comes asking for a keyboard recommendation with a specific feature set in mind, and he came because he knows we can give him a recommendation that he can trust. The least we can do is give him what he wants, and not push an option in his face that doesn't provide what he wants. It's his opinion, he can decide whether he wants to go down that route later if he wants. You seem to lack an appreciation for other peoples opinions and rights to have an opinion.
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 00:17:51 »

LED's any color

What are we, Best Buy?

Pros:
  • Customizable Layout, switches, case
  • ergonomic, "superior"* layout

Cons:
  • Make it yourself-requires time, effort
  • Doesn't deliver what the OP asks for
  • Expensive right off the bat
  • Only available in limited quantities/at certain times
  • "Superior" layout requires readjustment every time user uses different keyboard

For all we know, he could be completely done with this community after this (fat chance, but it's a possibility we have to consider), so he may end up not spending $300+ on one keyboard. He comes asking for a keyboard recommendation with a specific feature set in mind, and he came because he knows we can give him a recommendation that he can trust. The least we can do is give him what he wants, and not push an option in his face that doesn't provide what he wants. It's his opinion, he can decide whether he wants to go down that route later if he wants. You seem to lack an appreciation for other peoples opinions and rights to have an opinion.

I respectfully disagree with both yours and his opinion.

Happy now?

This really doesn't change the fact that the ergodox is a better keyboard.

typing is like riding a bike, you don't forget how to do it..

I can switch back and forth between my dox and laptop for example..  but, the fact now is, I don't want to use anything other than the ergo dox..

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 01:09:41 »
mechanicalkeyboards.com has a backlit category (http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=20). We would have to know a lot more about what you want to help out too much though. Do you use your numpad, do you touch type, is this board at a desk or mobile, etc. As a matter of principle I won't help you out on the switch beyond pointing you to raw data and places to feel them because everything else is kinda useless. I'll do what I can for the board itself though.

I do feel like covering a few points people are making in here though.

On backlighting-
If you touch type backlighting is 100% for show, and an edox draws way more attention than blue leds.
99% of backlit caps are abs with sub par printing, you can get aftermarket caps, but then the light is all show even if you do hunt and peck.
If you do hunt and peck (hunt and peck in the dark being the only real use for the light), stop. I couldn't touch type until recently. Learned colemak myself, but you can stick with qwerty if you would rather. It only took me like a week to be typing at bearable enough speeds to do it all the time.
It can look cool and is by no means a drawback, if you want it I'm not gonna stop you. I just wouldn't rate it so highly on the decision matrix that it's totally required.

On the ergodox-
- It's expensive, and you haven't even felt many switch types probably. Try a few out at a micro center or something before you commit them to an expensive board.
- You need to know how to solder or have someone do it for you (for money, unless you have close solder savvy friends).
- If you don't touch type it does nothing other than be confusing, I'd still recommend you learn how to touch type though for other reasons.
- It doesn't cure cancer, it is more ergonomic, but tp takes everything to 11. It would be like saying if you cared about speed at all to get a steno machine. (an exaggeration on my own part, but steno is pretty awesome at what it does, just a bit more expensive and difficult than an ergo board)
- There are several other ergo mech boards if that's your bag

I have one but have yet to assemble, maybe I'll put it together and it turns out it does give you superpowers after all.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 01:28:41 »
lol this became about the ergodox.

people who like the ergodox are people who were seeking the ergodox.

get a filco (not backlit)
get a cmstorm (not backlit)
get a poker II or pure pro
get a ducky (edit: this is probably your best option for backlit)
the list could go on and on for good mx blue boards they really feel the same if they are all plate mounted, except the ione stuff like razer, that crap is horrible.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 01:43:50 by Glod »

Offline Larken

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 01:36:38 »
I thought it was common knowledge that if you held one side of the ergodox in each hand, you could fly if you flap your hands fast enough. Fullhand for long haul flights and classic for domestic. /sarcasm

Glod puts it well enough - you have to want the ergodox for you to like the ergodox. adjusting to the matrix layouts aside, it takes time and commitment to experiment with layouts, tweak them to be perfect for your usage and a whole plethora of other mods and ghetto solutions to make the ergodox work for you.

Definitely not something I'd recommend for casual users.

TLDR; If someone isn't asking about the ergodox, don't recommend it to him/her. And on another note, don't feed the troll.

@ the OP. If you want an LED board, I wouldn't choose anything other than a ducky.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 02:18:36 »
I do not think it is right to recommend an unavailable, expensive, put-it-together yourself, non-traditionally shaped keyboard to someone who is looking for a "first" mechanical keyboard, however great it may be. 222lu222, one thing you can take away from this thread is that different people like different things, and there really is no such thing as a "best" keyboard. Some people are big fans of more ergonomic shaped keyboards, but there are also a lot of other form factors to consider. People can also disagree about tons of other things, like what kind of stabilizer they prefer, or whether having a  backlight is useful or not.

Personally I am not a huge fan of backlit keyboards for a number of reasons. The backlight does not really help me, since I do not look at my keyboard much when either gaming or typing. Even when I do look at my keyboard for some symbols when programming or using latex, some nice clear font is actually easier for me to read. The other thing is that I would add custom keycaps at some point anyway, in which case the legends would not be illuminated and it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a backlit keyboard.

That said, there are many options from many different brands such as Keycool, Cooler Master, Deck etc. And I can completely understand that some people might like a backlit keyboard, even if it were only for aesthetic purposes. The most commonly recommended keyboard with backlight on this board is the Ducky Shine II. I had the Shine I and it was a great keyboard. Though I personally am not a fan of the stabilizers it used (Cherry, I prefer Costar) but maybe that is not too big a deal for your first keyboard and a pet peeve of mine. You would have to compare the two before being able to find which one you prefer anyway.

When you are looking for a "bang for buck" option, then the Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid is a favorite over here. It can be found at times for as little as 60 bucks, is available in most switch types (depending on where you are from) and has a pretty decent build quality (even though some months ago there appeared to be some quality control issues).

In the end though, instead of the "best" keyboard, just make sure that you buy a good keyboard that has the features you are looking for. Do you want media keys or does that not matter? Should it be available with a specific kind of switch? Does it fit your aesthetic preferences? How is the availability of the keyboard in your location? How customizable is it? Does it provide good value? These are the kind of questions you should ask yourself, and in the end , whether you will buy a Filco, Leopold, Deck or even an Ergodox, you will probably be happiest if you pick something that fits your wants and needs. All of these (and many  more) make great products. Take your time and enjoy the hunt. Look at, and read up on the different keyboards that are available and take your pick.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 02:28:43 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 02:21:48 »

Have to agree with the Ducky Shine, overall it's a very solid board, but still with a decent price tag.
"No"- Greed

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 11:29:45 »
Ok. Let's stop arguing now and getting off topic. The OP is getting his very first board so let us advise him.

OP, my first mechanical keyboard was a Noppoo Choc Mini MX Cherry Blue. It was nice at first. You will always fall in love with your first mechanical keyboard, but once you start getting more, you start feeling the differences and start deciding then what you like the most.

My second was from wasdkeyboards.com They specialize in custom keycaps, and honestly, their keyboards feel SOLID. It is my main Cherry MX Blue currently. They are also pretty inexpensive compared to other mechanicals. I could tell the difference right away when I switched from my Noppoo to the WASD. If you still can't decide, I'd consider getting a WASD keyboard at first with MX Blues. You really won't be disappointed. Actually, you won't be disappointed with any mechanical keyboard because you seriously learn to love it after a few minutes of typing regardless of what others say (I think they're just splitting hairs on some aspects such as ping noise). I say this because you upgrade your typing experience by a whole lot switching from a rubber dome.

Anyways, WASD is currently working on bringing out a new line of cases for their boards, so you may want to wait for that but it will probably be a while before it's out. I'm definitely gonna get it once it is. However, their current keyboard is still excellent.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 15:03:05 »
we did back on topic for the most part and like 3 of us suggested ducky shine, he wanted LEDs..