Author Topic: kinesis contoured board ?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline newbrict

kinesis contoured board ?
« on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 20:43:52 »
Hey guys I'm really considered buying a kinesis "advantage" contoured board
has anyone used these? can I get some feedback on whether or not you guys think they are worth it and also if anyone knows a place where I could get a fairly cheap one ?

:)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: kinesis contoured board ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 20:52:05 »
has anyone used these? can I get some feedback on whether or not you guys think they are worth it and also if anyone knows a place where I could get a fairly cheap one ?

considering the Ergodox round 3 is up... i would say you gotta really try the kinesis first to see if it fits your shoulder width and wrist angle..

Because the kinesis isn't adjustable in those respects, and those attributes contribute greatly to your comfort seated in front of a keyboard.  :D

But overall, the ergodox has inherited all the Good design aspects of the kinesis, while adding greatly more freedom of adjustment.

It is also highly configurable..// moddable..  If you are familiar with C, then the sky's the limit with a teensy.

Offline newbrict

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 20:58:17 »

considering the Ergodox round 3 is up... i would say you gotta really try the kinesis first to see if it fits your shoulder width and wrist angle..

Because the kinesis isn't adjustable in those respects, and those attributes contribute greatly to your comfort seated in front of a keyboard.  :D

But overall, the ergodox has inherited all the Good design aspects of the kinesis, while adding greatly more freedom of adjustment.

It is also highly configurable..// moddable..  If you are familiar with C, then the sky's the limit with a teensy.

I read something about this ergodox3 board on here, but I wasn't sure what it was all about. Is it contoured? a friend of mine has a kinesis and it feels like if I was used to typing with it -- it would be great.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:00:54 »

I read something about this ergodox3 board on here, but I wasn't sure what it was all about. Is it contoured? a friend of mine has a kinesis and it feels like if I was used to typing with it -- it would be great.

the ergodox isn't contoured, but it is adjustable at any axis, which means you can tent it upwards, in that way it surpasses the "conform-ability" of the kinesis.

If you are averse to building the ergodox yourself, there are numerous aficionados on this board that may be able to slot you in for the assembly service.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:08:17 »

I'm selling my Kinesis Contoured board in the classified forum.  The price is negotiable, but I certainly can offer less than the usual price.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:09:59 »
Also, I did enjoy using the board, it's a great design and the programmability is a great feature, but I like some of my other boards a bit more.  Like the Maltron and Ergodox.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 19:13:07 »
I have the Kinesis, Ergodox and Truly Ergonomic and the Kinesis is my favorite, I'd recommend it. The keywells on the Kinesis as well as the better thumb cluster positioning make it superior to the Ergodox in my opinion. While the Ergodox allows you to choose the degree of separation, the Kinesis' separation is quite good. Perhaps if you are extremely broad shouldered the Ergodox might be a bit better to suit your particular needs, but for an average sized person it's quite nice.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 10:20:18 »
OP, In case you are interested, here is my classifieds thread.  Please excuse my shameless self/promotion:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44537.0

Offline vatin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 13:00:18 »
I've got my Kinesis for nearly a year now and am fully adapted to it. My occupation concerns a lot of text entering and now I refuse to use anything else but the Kinesis. Be advised, this board comes with obvious flaws which are those rubbery function buttons on the top roll. I added 2 palm keys and reprogram the rubbery buttons for easy access. I like this board a lot, but given a second chance, I might get an ergodox instead for compactness. I think the cheapest new ones you can get is from amazon.com. If you want even cheaper then go with a second hand one from ebay. But given that the ergodox group buy is currently running, I would suggest you give that a serious thought, if you can built your own keyboard.
OLKB Planck V6