Author Topic: making ghetto reds and greens out of Cherry blues and blacks  (Read 1477 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
making ghetto reds and greens out of Cherry blues and blacks
« on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:45:44 »
I've been given a nice offer from another forum longtimer. He's offering to sell me a good keyboard for modding at a nice price, but it comes with black switches which I don't quite like.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do with black switches. I have spare Cherry blues, so I am wondering if I swapped their springs, I could make soft linears out of the Cherry blacks, and stiff clickys out of the Cherry blues.

Does it work that way? Just swap springs and I'll get that combo?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: making ghetto reds and greens out of Cherry blues and blacks
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:47:29 »
Yes you are correct. I just wrote a review documenting my thoughts on the swap. I just did this last week. Ghetto Greens (Black spring w/ Blue stem) are so amazing, I'm putting them on my KMAC.

Edit: I believe that the red, brown, and blue switches all use the same spring and that the red and black stems are the same. So swapping the blue springs into the black stems should make ghetto reds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:02:56 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:50:57 »
I was thinking about this, too. Are you able to open all PCB-mounted switches without desoldering them? Should be fine technically, but I don't know if you're able to access the points underneath the switch. Never tried. I also wanted to do a keyboard with ghetto greens (blue with black spring) or maybe ghetto reds, too (black with blue spring). And then, clears come into the game... I look forward to it :3
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:11:27 »
How do true greens and ghetto greens compare? I love the idea of stiffer blues,  but true green boards are just so scarce right now.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:29:22 »
How do true greens and ghetto greens compare? I love the idea of stiffer blues,  but true green boards are just so scarce right now.

I state this in the review I posted before, but they felt the same to me. I've also tried other ghetto switches which felt loose. Again, if you refer to my Wiki in my sig, there's a review that's named Post Chicago meet switch reviews. I share my thoughts on the ghetto switches available in the Universal Switch Tester hashbaz sent out

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 14:35:37 »
considering these switches arn't rare or hard to get anymore,   doing all the swapping is not worth the effort.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:02:08 »
considering these switches arn't rare or hard to get anymore,   doing all the swapping is not worth the effort.

Well, I missed the first wave of CM greens, so I'm waiting on the QF Stealth with greens to come back in stock so I can get it and check out the feel to see if I like it as much as I'm expecting too. But I already have a QFR and Filco MajesTouch 2 with blues, so if I really prefer the greens to blues, it's a tempting idea to swap in black springs on those two boards to bring them up to snuff. Or I suppose I could just sell those boards and buy others, when greens are easier to find.

Thanks for the info, CPTBadAss!

Offline Grimey

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:35:35 »
Have Ghetto greens in my poker at work, love them though I have never tried actual greens. 
Erlang your pants off

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:53:21 »
CaptainBadass,

Quite agree with you.

As the statistics show, it has higher actuation force of 80g than blacks at 60g. It also has higher bottoming force at 105g vs 80g for blacks.

My experience doing a lot of typing on real Greens has been that they are the most accurate of all Cherry MX switches. You won’t make so many mistakes with them. But they are more tiring to type on than buckling springs. But you won’t ever bottom out on them because they put up so much resistance, so they are more quiet.

After this I want to make my own ghetto greens. I figure that using black springs in blue switches will make them heavier than blues but still lighter than 80g greens.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:54:03 »
Well try em out and let us know what you think :D