Author Topic: Spacebars: 2 questions  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Spacebars: 2 questions
« on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:16:32 »
I have 2 spacebar-related questions.

• Which switch do people generally prefer to go under a spacebar: tactile or linear (both being fairly stiff)? 
    I wonder if I should do an MX Clear under spacebar or a vintage MX Black with a stiffer spring.
  • Does anyone have a good photo of an OEM spacebar next to Cherry-profile thick PBT keycaps I could have a look at to see how much an OEM spacebar would stick out and if it'd look okay? 
    I seem to prefer OEM spacebars, as Cherry profile ones cut into my left thumb, and it hurts after 15 min of use.  And I don't like the inverted spacebar look.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:19:08 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
Re: Spacebars: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:20:51 »
i usually go with the same switch "type"

reds get a black spacebar
blacks get a grey spacebar

blues get a green
greens get a green switch with a grey spring

i dont like mixed tactile/linear/clicky.  it throws me off too much but really it comes down to personal preference.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:22:00 »
I like a uniform board. So the spacebar should have the same switch as the rest of the board. I tried typing on Akimbo's AT F and the non-uniform, heavier spacebar felt unnatural to me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 11:27:07 »
I have 2 spacebar-related questions.

• Which switch do people generally prefer to go under a spacebar: tactile or linear (both being fairly stiff)? 
    I wonder if I should do an MX Clear under spacebar or a vintage MX Black with a stiffer spring.
  • Does anyone have a good photo of an OEM spacebar next to Cherry-profile thick PBT keycaps I could have a look at to see how much an OEM spacebar would stick out and if it'd look okay? 
    I seem to prefer OEM spacebars, as Cherry profile ones cut into my left thumb, and it hurts after 15 min of use.  And I don't like the inverted spacebar look.

OEM spacebar is superior to Cherry space bar.. especially when used in the reverse orientation.

When you press the space key with your thumb, it's an UPWARD motion.  Using reversed orientation this fits the motion very well and due to the incline now afforded you... there is not edge to dig into anything.

The reason OEM is superior in all cases, is because it's taller.

the thumb does not extend deep into the keyboard like the other keys,  it brushes across horizontally more than it goes downwards... Thus the cherry profile is terrible for two things,  the fact that it's close to the keyboard and the fact that it's edge is sharp...

OEM ftw...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:02:39 »
Thank you.  I'll try stock Clear then (the rest are going to be ergo-Clears).  I'm possibly going to be using an aluminum OEM-profile spacebar, which is heavier than PBT, so a stiffer spring is a must for occasions like that.

And regarding the OEM spacebar profile with Cherry-profile caps--would anyone mind taking a photo?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:05:11 »
If you remind me this evening either in this thread or in PMs, I can post a picture

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:29:54 »
That said... I highly recommend the ergodox which bypasses these bad boys all together :p

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:35:39 »
That said... I highly recommend the ergodox which bypasses these bad boys all together :p

Thanks--close enough then!  I'll stick with OEM.

ErgoDox is very cool, I agree, but I like the compactness of regular TKL keyboards.  And I can't have anything sitting taller on my desk than a TKL keyboard already (Ergo Dox keyboards seem quite tall).  Anyway, an ErgoDox is not for everyone for a variety of reasons.  Plus, of course, the price... I'm fine with my significantly cheaper second hand Filcos that I can mod :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 13:01:11 »

Thanks--close enough then!  I'll stick with OEM.

ErgoDox is very cool, I agree, but I like the compactness of regular TKL keyboards.  And I can't have anything sitting taller on my desk than a TKL keyboard already (Ergo Dox keyboards seem quite tall).  Anyway, an ErgoDox is not for everyone for a variety of reasons.  Plus, of course, the price... I'm fine with my significantly cheaper second hand Filcos that I can mod :)

ssss. as far as profiles go.. The cherry profile does indeed have an advantage over OEM for Every key except... the spacebar

Here's the reason..

Because the OEM keys are taller.. it is essentially a Longer Lever Arm attached to the cherry mx switch..  The problem this causes is that the switch was not designed for it... it was designed for Cherry profile..

what ends up happening the longer lever arm torques more against the cherry mx switch housing.. causing travel that is LESS smooth than a shorter profile such as Cherry original.

I am talking about key presses that are NOT dead center..  if you hit the keys dead center, the longer arm will not make a difference..

HOWEVER since the majority of key-presses are NOT dead center, and are in fact on the sides...  OEM is at a disadvantage.

Ideally you would have OEM profile space bar, and Cherry profile everything else.

:D

On my tkl which is now my mother's tkl,   I was using Oem aluminum spacebar with Beige thick pbt cherry profile..

This is in MY OPINION the best combination..

Having said all of that..................

Ergodox FTW...