Author Topic: Help with "Broken" QFR  (Read 1747 times)

Offline thoere

Help with "Broken" QFR
« on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:12:52 »
So I purchased a QFR (unbranded, blues) that the seller said was broken. It is only about 4 months old. I opened it up to find that the Mini-usb port was plugged in only 3/4 of the way to the PCB. Quickly fixed this and then plugged in the keyboard. Still did not work, BUT the microcontroller is heating up. Not recognized on the computer yet. What is happening, and how can I fix it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Help with "Broken" QFR
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:28:56 »
uM.. check for broken traces, cracks in the pcb,  check the pins on the controller board, make sure the pins are all soldered down and non are shorting.

um... check the usb breakout daughter board for shorts.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:04:25 »
Fried controller board.

Offline thoere

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:11:49 »
Fried controller board.
Yeah, this seems to be the problem. Too bad CM Storm won't grant me an RMA because the warranty seal is broken  :(

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:17:54 »
Fried controller board.
Yeah, this seems to be the problem. Too bad CM Storm won't grant me an RMA because the warranty seal is broken  :(

I have the same problem :(

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:27:48 »
Fried controller board.

I wonder if they void the warranty when you buy a replacement top panel and install it.
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-rapid-replacement-top-panel/

If so, that's quite nasty.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:31:32 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:29:23 »
Fried controller board.

Stupid question - Isn't CM who sells replacement covers?
If so, do you have to break the warranty seal to replace the cover?

They seem to make 'exceptions' for those....

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:29:42 »
Fried controller board.

>:U

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 19:32:54 »
Fried controller board.

Do you see where I'm heading with this? CM is currently selling them for 10$ :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 20:06:25 »
Fried controller board.

Do you see where I'm heading with this? CM is currently selling them for 10$ :-)

As long as Carter is not viewing this thread ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 20:46:50 »
Fried controller board.

As long as Carter is not viewing this thread ;)

yea, but how would he know it's YOU... less he's haxing and getting you ip located.. within 20meters

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:50:20 »
First of all check that the internal USB cable is seated properly on the PCB, and that it's not plugged in upside down or something. I'm pretty sure that's not the issue, but it pays to check.
Secondly, I would imagine if the cable were only partially seated, the higher resistance and other factors could easily contribute to a controller dying.

Lastly, just wait for someone to make a replacement controller and install that, it'll be better and fixed!

anyway, if you don't want to bother with it, I'll buy it from you. I enjoy fixing broken keyboards.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 17:28:09 »
I'm looking for $68 shipped for MX greens (see http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35155.msg651905#msg651905 ).
I'm also looking for a replacement controller so I can fix it without having to sell it :P

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 17:37:28 »
OP don't assume anything is fried, here is why:

- broken solder joint  on the mini USB
- people reporting the same problem as you, tested it with different USB cable than the CM and problem was fixed
- not really likely, but remove the controller and check for broken solder joints on the pins where the controller attaches to the PCB, the controller is located above the arrow clusters.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?