Author Topic: my CODE and cat vomit.. YEP!  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
my CODE and cat vomit.. YEP!
« on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:30:21 »
Yeah boyz, my cat barfed into my tkl code.. The backspace, M and, R no longer work? ...He threw up mostly liquid onto the arrow cluster {putting the controller in danger} I let everything dry before I tested it out. At first the backspace, M, and R didn't work. Last night I let is soak in water as a last ditch effort {like the old ripster guide} and this morning the backspace worked again, but not the other two keys... uhh... how's this possible?
I hate everything.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: my CODE and cat vomit.. YEP!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 17:04:28 »
That is terrible! I have two cats and I understand their propensity to puke their guts out in the worst of the worst places (for me this is usually my bed). I hope you can find a way to fix it up.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 17:36:02 »
My home is animal-free for 3 decades and I have not regretted it for a nanosecond.

They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 18:31:22 »
Yeah, it's the worst. I know how to soldier a bit, but I'm clueless how to even imagine 3 random keys just not working. I'm glad my bulldog didn't get ahold of it, the damage would have been much worse :P at least my PBT caps are in tact... I guess... that's a positive.
I hate everything.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 19:52:23 »
that totally sucks!.....how bout a new keyboard? ;D
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 03:54:41 »
Might just be a bit of solid matter wedge inside the switch?

Or some mucus or something that has coated the switch contacts and won't just wash away.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 10:56:11 »
Egdx is calling..
Show Image

Haha Tp4, you're still at it huh...

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 20:32:06 »
I'm trying so hard to salvage this... I realized the left alt, tab, and caps lock doesn't work. Along with the right enter. Could it be some **** on some of the soldier points or something under the plate? I can't see between the plate and pcb obviously.. This blows.. It's not like I can just buy another... like I would have back when :<
I hate everything.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 20:43:43 »
sell cat and buy new keyboard
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 20:52:46 »
Btw feel the need to mention, the jacked up keys don't even register being pressed. I used sharp-key to see if they did :( they're also not anywhere near where he barfed.
I hate everything.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:39:59 »
Soak it in water again and see if that helps? If you want to recoup the cost you could probably sell it in classifieds, people may want the switches or the keycaps.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 14:28:49 »
Soaked in water and plugged in just ~24 hrs later? That's ok? Guess if thats what the guide said. I let my kb dry out for days when I spilled water on it.

Is there nothing about alcohol bath before that?

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 19:29:40 »
I used blow dryer, sat it on a heating duct wrapped in a towell, then without all day. I double checked that everything was dry or seemed that way. No moisture in the leds etc. Today a couple more keys work? ... weird... Couple still don't work. Going to soak again.
I hate everything.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 18:13:05 »
You could also follow what Lu_e said and try an alcohol bath different solutions have different effects(it will kill the lube though, as least i think it will)
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 18:34:56 »
That is Awful!

fixed. Really though, pets can do some nasty things from time to time. Best of luck with getting it functioning again.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 15:36:27 »
Someone know any stuff and things about maybe a lead problem or? Idk, but all of these keys work (ins does, I just didn't push it at the time) btw I have now soaked it in 99% iso alcohol.. so, idk.

David over at WASD told me to send it in and I'm about to do just that, but if I could somehow fix this myself that would be swell.

I hate everything.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 16:07:14 »
Usually it gets into the switches and covers the contacts, preventing them from contacting.  Try removing the switches, opening them, and cleaning them with a swab and some 90% isopropanol.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 18:37:02 »
Yeah, about that, I don't know how so solder well enough to do that heh. The water/barf was on the arrow cluster. So I doubt the switches that aren't working were dry.
I hate everything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 19:07:03 »
Are WASD going to fix it under warranty?  Or gratis?  If so, I would suggest not touching anything.  Although you might be able to fix it, you also might make it worse.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 22:23:09 »
After all of this, are you going to get one of those acrylic keyboard covers to the chances of this happening again are slimmer?  Just curious.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 01:30:22 »
Rowdy - he'll be charging me if necessary (so I'll probably end up paying if it's even possible) which is fine with me, I don't mind at all to pay!

JDorfler - absolutely, I had one from an old Filco, but with the last one I sold I gave it away.
I hate everything.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 07:04:29 »
My home is animal-free for 3 decades and I have not regretted it for a nanosecond.

Gasp

You are even more of a curmudgeon than I thought!  :p
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.