Author Topic: I hear fan I replace fan. AM I MAD?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
I hear fan I replace fan. AM I MAD?
« on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:17:08 »
I cannot stand computer noise. CAN'T.

So I'm sitting next to my server, my workstation super silent inaudible. STILL HEAR FAN.

iLLucionist goes exploring... finds that EVERYTHING in his server is silent EXCEPT THAT ONE PART... the PSU fan. Now I need to replace PSU.

The OCD... the cringe... it hurts
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline fanpeople

Re: I hear fan I replace fan. AM I MAD?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:25:46 »
i got a sesonic platinum. its fan has passive mode where it only starts up under load. i dont think it has ever started up

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:25:47 »
went down this route..

settled on low rpm and running the computer open chassis...

There's no other way to make it more silent..

water cooling has pump noise.. and putting the computer in another room requires drilling too many holes in the wall for cabling..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:39:46 »
i got a sesonic platinum. its fan has passive mode where it only starts up under load. i dont think it has ever started up

For my main workstation I have the Seasonic X-750. It's overengineered, has passive mode up to 80%. I calculated it such that my system components power draw will at full load be around 50% of the PSU capacity.

My server is from May 2013 and has CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 420W. It was dead silent initially, but very quickly became somewhat noisy. It has this slight ticking noise that is just the bearings ran dry I guess. But thing is... it has normal connector for fan but the fan size is non-normal... it's 85mm if I'm correct. So Noctua won't fit.

My server PSU also has coil whine. But I read online it shouldn't be a big issue. But I guess it is not good news and I should replace my PSU.. my server is literally running always and it's just consumer hardware (i5... asrock... hyperx 16gb... that kind of stuff).

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:41:00 »
went down this route..

settled on low rpm and running the computer open chassis...

There's no other way to make it more silent..

water cooling has pump noise.. and putting the computer in another room requires drilling too many holes in the wall for cabling..

I went big and invested in Fractal Design R5 Blackout Edition with foam padding to insulate sound. All my fans run around 300rpm, including CPU. My GPU (980 ti) and PSU don't have fans spinning up to 50% load. Only when I game, I can hear some noise.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:43:16 »
SilverStone Nightjar Platinum 520W Fanless NJ520

why not give fanless a crack

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:06:24 »

Better even.. I already built a pc with fanless psu... the seasonic platinum 520 fanless.

Perhaps the silverstone is just the seasonic rebranded? It sounds very similar.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:06:41 »
total fanless still has noise..

I found that out when I built a fanless  underclocked 2500k back in the day..

motherboard , cpu, gpu, psu makes all sorts of buzzing electronic hums and squeaks

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:08:28 »

Better even.. I already built a pc with fanless psu... the seasonic platinum 520 fanless.

I will only ever buy seasonic PSUs. i think they may be the OEM for this one also, i think i read it in a breakdown article.

but i mean fanless guarentees you no psu fan noise lol

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:09:18 »

I will only ever buy seasonic PSUs. i think they may be the OEM for this one also, i think i read it in a breakdown article.

but i mean fanless guarentees you no psu fan noise lol

seasonic fanless 520 = fanless. So no fans. So silent. SO SILENT. Mmmm...

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:24:07 »
The OP reads like a tp post. Maybe it's contagious.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:26:16 »

Once bitten,  please abandon hope in an orderly fashion..   

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:27:49 »
I also have a major problem with "white noise", especially from my PC. I have a seasonic psu that rarely has the fan ramp up (gaming, folding@home). With folding I'm not usually in the room, and with gaming, I just turn the sound up.

My mobo keeps all my case and cpu fan at a minimum.

And my EVGA 960 is the special cooler one that is quiet and also doesn't run fans unless necessary.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:59:52 »

motherboard , cpu, gpu, psu makes all sorts of buzzing electronic hums and squeaks

I don't hear it. Except for when my studio monitor speakers are in the same power outlet as my screen / pc. Then I hear all kinds of circuit noise over my speaker. SO ANNYONG WANNA KILL MASELF AAH.

So I literally have two different power sockets in my room, one for speakers, one for rest.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:01:10 »

Once bitten,  please abandon hope in an orderly fashion..   

(Attachment Link)

I JUST LIVE BY DAY. Time of dreams faded away. Just livin' like I feel second to second. soo Zen meditation, so peaceful. UNTIL WIN UPDATES. Then I flippin mad yall.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:01:37 »
I also have a major problem with "white noise", especially from my PC. I have a seasonic psu that rarely has the fan ramp up (gaming, folding@home). With folding I'm not usually in the room, and with gaming, I just turn the sound up.

My mobo keeps all my case and cpu fan at a minimum.

And my EVGA 960 is the special cooler one that is quiet and also doesn't run fans unless necessary.

Nice... I hesitated between Asus and EVGA. Good to know EVGA also makes quiet GPU cards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:03:17 »

I don't hear it. Except for when my studio monitor speakers are in the same power outlet as my screen / pc. Then I hear all kinds of circuit noise over my speaker. SO ANNYONG WANNA KILL MASELF AAH.

So I literally have two different power sockets in my room, one for speakers, one for rest.

hahaha..

nawh dawg.. pc always dump noise if you use its analogue out..

You gotta use either a dac/amp with a galvanically isolated input (coax or usb).

OR go directly from pc  spdif/optical out..

Spdif has fallen out of favor these days because of usb and the fact that spdif isn't ---perfectly bit accurate---...   But I'd say it's within the 99.999 percentile.. hahaha..

The most important part is galvanic isolation from anything touching the computer's metal..  literally, if ur pc case was touching ur dac case,  the pc will put noise onto it..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:05:04 »

hahaha..

nawh dawg.. pc always dump noise if you use its analogue out..

You gotta use either a dac/amp with a galvanically isolated input (coax or usb).

OR go directly from pc  spdif/optical out..

Spdif has fallen out of favor these days because of usb and the fact that spdif isn't ---perfectly bit accurate---...   But I'd say it's within the 99.999 percentile.. hahaha..

The most important part is galvanic isolation from anything touching the computer's metal..  literally, if ur pc case was touching ur dac case,  the pc will put noise onto it..

I AUDIOPHILE. I have a 10/10 setup: Focusrite 2i2, from speaker XLR to large jack in audio interface. Connected over USB in separate usb port, away from the rest.

Only if I turn up monitors real loud do I get white noise interference. That I can live with.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:05:16 »
the power socket issue is usually less severe these days,   because chances are all around your entire room,  is actually the Same single power line..

Even if it was two lines, it's probably running parallel to the same hookup from the fuse box..  so  different power plugs won't make an issue even in case of ground loop interference.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:08:07 »
the power socket issue is usually less severe these days,   because chances are all around your entire room,  is actually the Same single power line..

Even if it was two lines, it's probably running parallel to the same hookup from the fuse box..  so  different power plugs won't make an issue even in case of ground loop interference.

That's true... but how closer on the physical wire so to say how closer to rippling effects. So moving it to another socket like 1m-2m away is still same power line for room physically, but it takes away / dampens some of the interference at least.

Best is to have balanced power... but dat too expensive for iLLucionist. I informed once at pro audio shop where they build studios for pros. Would've cost me around 500-600 dollars to get rid of interference. I was like naahh.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:10:53 »

That's true... but how closer on the physical wire so to say how closer to rippling effects. So moving it to another socket like 1m-2m away is still same power line for room physically, but it takes away / dampens some of the interference at least.

Best is to have balanced power... but dat too expensive for iLLucionist. I informed once at pro audio shop where they build studios for pros. Would've cost me around 500-600 dollars to get rid of interference. I was like naahh.

Gotta call up ur dac maker to ask abaout galvanic isolation..  unless they mention it in their literature..   basiaclly look for optical-repeater chips. hahaha.

XLR is for balance and reducing noised introduced by the system of interconnects, but only at the output stage,  it does nothing for the input stage noise dumped on the system from the PC source

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:18:32 »

Gotta call up ur dac maker to ask abaout galvanic isolation..  unless they mention it in their literature..   basiaclly look for optical-repeater chips. hahaha.

XLR is for balance and reducing noised introduced by the system of interconnects, but only at the output stage,  it does nothing for the input stage noise dumped on the system from the PC source

Hmmm... nope says it nowhere about galvanic isolation. Too bad. fml

Well.. this is the best I can do for my home setup. YOLO

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 07:19:19 »

Hmmm... nope says it nowhere about galvanic isolation. Too bad. fml

Well.. this is the best I can do for my home setup. YOLO

I believe u can build a galvanic isolated usb circuit DIY,  it shouldn't be hard since there arn't that many connections.

Offline atarione

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 00:00:20 »
my computer is pretty quiet...

back in the day fan noise was an annoyance

I have a Hyper212+ and Seasonic X750 and AMD HD7950 (Sapphire) ..in a NZXT H630 case... I basically can't hear the computer running at all..it is on a cart on the floor

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 01:27:38 »
I AM ****ING ENJOYING ALL THIS SEASONIC LOVE GOING AROUND.

PS CAPSWARS BATTLE FOR OFFTOPIC HAS STARTED

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 01:35:00 »
Seasonic suxxx..  Superflower FTW... !!!

GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO

I DONT TRUST THINGS ASSOCIATED WITH FLOWERS, IT ONLY LEADS TO EITHER HIPPY INFESTATION OR BEE STINGS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 03:36:21 »
hahahahaha..  we've all wasted money on these power supplies though...,.  when the atx spec says +/- 5% 

Which means any power supply that can do 11.4v @ 100% load will operate the  computer JUST FINE..

it's all designed around it. 

It at worst, might lower overclocking stability on cheap motherboards..  but not the medium to expensive ones..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 04:04:44 »
hahahahaha..  we've all wasted money on these power supplies though...,.  when the atx spec says +/- 5% 

Which means any power supply that can do 11.4v @ 100% load will operate the  computer JUST FINE..

It at worst, might lower overclocking stability on cheap motherboards..  but not the medium to expensive ones..

7 year warrenty.

Offline atarione

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 11:29:49 »
regardless of what ATX spec says... I have seen it at work and with friends computers a low quality power supply can pop and take other components with it..

I also got my Seasonic on a really good sale putting it in line with say corsair power supplies at the time.. I gladly spend a few more bucks to reduce the odds of a burnt power supply taking motherboard ..etc with it.

I have had my X750 for ~5yrs I guess... it has been perfect.

Seasonic ftw..indeed.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 11:48:38 »
regardless of what ATX spec says... I have seen it at work and with friends computers a low quality power supply can pop and take other components with it..

I also got my Seasonic on a really good sale putting it in line with say corsair power supplies at the time.. I gladly spend a few more bucks to reduce the odds of a burnt power supply taking motherboard ..etc with it.

Seasonic ftw..indeed.

Well, the reallllly bad power supply was a long time ago..  even the cheapo $15 power supplies are more than adequate and safe these days.

The biggest issue was actually the taiwanese capcitor plague from early 2000 up to 2007 when this diy hobby began more widespread adoption.. where cheapo psus were really going boom..

taiwan manufacturers stole an incomplete capacitor fluid formula without the key stabilizing agent from japan.

That is no longer the case.. 

And numerous NEW protection mechanisms have been put in place since then..

One really must consider the rate of obsolescence which is ~ 4 to 5 years..    it's just very unlikely for the psu to break in that time period, due to how low the average load is..

PCs have become so power efficient , they can idle down to 30-50 watt..  that's typically 10% load on a vanilla build.   

where we typically see older pcs that were 300 watt all day.. or 60% load..

Offline atarione

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 12:41:11 »
once bitten...   I have always tended to be willing to pay a bit more for a quality power supply than take chances..

my Seasonic is 5~yrs old I got it for $100~ish (on sale) .. money well spent... I don't see any need to replace it any time soon.. I figure I can use it the next 5yrs probably..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 13:05:16 »
once bitten...   I have always tended to be willing to pay a bit more for a quality power supply than take chances..

my Seasonic is 5~yrs old I got it for $100~ish (on sale) .. money well spent... I don't see any need to replace it any time soon.. I figure I can use it the next 5yrs probably..

Guys there's a magic trick pulled over your very eyes, and you're not seein' it..

See how they're advertising jap capacitors..

That's good..  but here's the thing.. most high end psus are still using cheapo mosfets and ics... these things heat up .. and are way more likely to die than a properly spec-ed cap.

Heat is the biggest killer..

From there we also deduce that the touted quiet operation is fundamentally counter to the longevity of the power supply because it requires  lower fan speeds which cause yet (m0ar heat)

Keep in mind, the total heat output might not be significant, as in you're not feeling hot air out the back,, but localized mosfet heat can still be in the 40-70 C ranges..

There's alot of consumer obfuscation..  even if the product is at least a little better than yesterday.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:43:19 »
Seasonic suxxx..  Superflower FTW... !!!

GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO GTFO

I DONT TRUST THINGS ASSOCIATED WITH FLOWERS, IT ONLY LEADS TO EITHER HIPPY INFESTATION OR BEE STINGS

SEASONIC FO LIVE *****ES. So tasty yumm

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:44:28 »

Seasonic REALLY has good and stable volt rails. Like stabler than a dead person's heartbeat stable.

If you check out reviews of the higher end seasonic models where they test the stability of the rails it really is amazing.

I'M ALL ABOUT DAT JAPANESE CAPACITORS. //drewl

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:45:02 »

7 year warrenty.

That's also about the time that the oil in the bearings of the fan wear off / dissipate I guess.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:47:20 »

Seasonic ftw..indeed.

Well, the reallllly bad power supply was a long time ago..  even the cheapo $15 power supplies are more than adequate and safe these days.

The biggest issue was actually the taiwanese capcitor plague from early 2000 up to 2007 when this diy hobby began more widespread adoption.. where cheapo psus were really going boom..

taiwan manufacturers stole an incomplete capacitor fluid formula without the key stabilizing agent from japan.

That is no longer the case.. 

And numerous NEW protection mechanisms have been put in place since then..

One really must consider the rate of obsolescence which is ~ 4 to 5 years..    it's just very unlikely for the psu to break in that time period, due to how low the average load is..

PCs have become so power efficient , they can idle down to 30-50 watt..  that's typically 10% load on a vanilla build.   

where we typically see older pcs that were 300 watt all day.. or 60% load..

Welll... yes and no. Really, you'd be amazed how crap the non Jap capacitor psu's can be. I've had two myself by... what was it.. I guess coolermaster. Marketed to be right up top. They popped and took my mobo with it.

I had a power outage then two times in a year and there was this short peak voltage on the line. It went past my PSU. It actually burned some capacitors on the motherboard around the CPU socket.

Offline atarione

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:09:27 »
As far as I'm concerned it is just common sense to spend a bit more on a high quality stable power supply when spending hundreds of dollars on cpu /motherboard / memory /graphics card(s) ...etc

If anyone wants to put their i7 rig at risk with some cheapie PSU up to them I guess.. for my part I have used Seasonic units for a long time and know them to work and not crap out and take other stuff with them..   So as long as they keep the quality up, I will choose them.