Author Topic: just lube my MX clears....  (Read 4470 times)

Offline kinruan

• SWAG=Specially Weaponized Asian Grandma
just lube my MX clears....
« on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:01:31 »
however i don't like that!!  :confused:
i use GPL 103 and GPL 205 mixed about 1:1
and it is .... Unhandy, i can't find any other words, it is more like MY switches now. am i doing it wrong..?
If the world ends tomorrow, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: just lube my MX clears....
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:07:19 »
Maybe you just don't like them? No one can tell you if you'll like how switches feel. You're the only person that can say if you like a switch.  There's plenty of switches I don't like that people swear by. If you think it feels like MY switches, then maybe that's your take on it and you don't like lubed clears. Time to try a new switch? :D

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:11:44 »
Used too much perhaps? WFD has a vid in the lubrication guide thread that should help.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:17:00 »
I lubed a test key (an F key, I hate F keys), and it's weird but I still like the inherent friction on other browns. I may just test it for a while more and see. Maybe that (inherent on all browns) friction has a purpose (though I doubt it to be honest).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:33:59 »
When I got one of my boards lubed(ergo clears) I was actually surprised at how negligible the feel was from before. I probably have insensitive fingers :(

Offline calavera

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:36:32 »
If properly lubed, they should feel more linear like blacks but still maintain that slight sratchy tactileness felt in clears/browns.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:39:28 »
I lubed the arms on my clear keychain with SuperLube; bad idea. Felt like MX blacks until I wiped it all off... all tactility gone.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:40:53 »
This is why you put LESS grease when mixing, then it'll be smooth tactility, if that makes sense.
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:54:55 »
the lube is probably too viscous..  that's why they recommend the oils... but when I used the oils, it doesn't last... just rolls off.

And the people mixing the lube I think are just kidding themselves.. just because 2 lubes appears to mix initially doesn't mean it'll REMAIN emulsified // suspended state

The high viscosity portion is probably the only thing left on the stem after the lighter oil separate over time.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 00:59:44 »
I just lubed some Blues...wow no more awesome clicks! :( Feels like browns now

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 01:05:21 »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... I almost made the same mistake.. Luckily I tested it on spare switches...

But I don't understand, actually I'm surprised that you didn't test a single one at all?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 01:07:04 »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... I almost made the same mistake.. Luckily I tested it on spare switches...

But I don't understand, actually I'm surprised that you didn't test a single one at all?

I did say some. 2 spare ones to be precise..lol

One of them I lubed everything - springs, sides, the whole thing

2nd one, I lubed only the base..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 01:08:52 »

I did say some. 2 spare ones to be precise..lol

oh good.. :D

LOL, could you imagine...  all that work lubing 100x and then you press it, and you're like... //sad panda ^ infinity

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 01:50:28 »
Well, this is interesting.  So default unlubed Clears will be more bumpy and scratchy?  And lubrication smoothes out not only the friction but also the feel of the bump?  I don't like the sound of "more like MX Blacks", because what's the point then.  I was under the impression that Clears have a very noticeable bump, as opposed to Browns, and that lubrication enhances the feel of the bump--or is that only true for Ergo Clears?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Surnia

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:05:39 »
Well, this is interesting.  So default unlubed Clears will be more bumpy and scratchy?  And lubrication smoothes out not only the friction but also the feel of the bump?  I don't like the sound of "more like MX Blacks", because what's the point then.  I was under the impression that Clears have a very noticeable bump, as opposed to Browns, and that lubrication enhances the feel of the bump--or is that only true for Ergo Clears?

LIGHT lubrication smooths out the roughness, but TBH I'd prefer to just USE them. After a while anyway, the grit goes away naturally. I just went crazy to see what it felt like, and just slathered it on. Ended up with a linear feeling switch... Wiped as much of it off as possible with a tissue (woot teflon based lubes!), and now I have a semi-tactile switch, that's still not as tactile as an un-lubed brown.

Throwing lube on prior to break in is probably somewhat pointless, as you're not letting the parts smooth out normally.

I also lubed a blue with SuperLube, same issue. The thickness of it ended up making it not click, and fully wiping it down restored it.. slowly. Had to click the switch about 50 times before clicky-ness returned. More important to the two piece sliders, it seems that a solidly attached upper housing is what makes the difference of a solid click or not.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:07:44 by Surnia »

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline gnubag

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:39:49 »
well i like my clears with only the spring oiled. I have tried them with lubed sliders but it felt awkward.
but on the other hand my ergo clears have everything lubed.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 03:18:15 »

Lubed ergo clears really do feel similar to a Topre with a tactile bump and a little bit less recoil.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:42:29 »
I suspect there's an inherent inability of plastics to get a perfect feel and they might feel either too lubed or too scratchy to most people. It's quite probable that near perfection of lack of friction and a tactility event can only be achieved with quality metals or more exotic polymers.

Perhaps graphene will come to the rescue in this area too since a very heavy keyboard becomes ridiculous. It's already too much with the steel plates. I wanted a keyboard, not an anvil.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:47:56 »
Just trying lubing the sliders and not the back?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 08:18:45 »
What would lubing just the spring accomplish though?  I don't think there's a great deal of friction from it onto the switch, is there?  Mostly just the downward compression, no twisting.  And the diameter should be wide enough.  Or am I off in that analysis?  Just trying to understand why that would make a noticeable difference vs. not lubing at all.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 08:35:56 »
Imagine MX Switches made entirely out of stainless steel that you oil centrally through a network that runs underneath the board.

*You then open a valve underneath and replace it every few miles.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:33:11 »
Imagine MX Switches made entirely out of stainless steel that you oil centrally through a network that runs underneath the board.

m.... cost? :D

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:34:48 »
You could perhaps do such a mod, the work wouldn't be worth it though.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:36:34 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:07:08 »

Show Image

well if we're just going to IMAGINE... then why not have a wireless node implanted into our efferent neurons that can read the output..

Offline kinruan

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:58:19 »
Maybe you just don't like them? No one can tell you if you'll like how switches feel. You're the only person that can say if you like a switch.  There's plenty of switches I don't like that people swear by. If you think it feels like MY switches, then maybe that's your take on it and you don't like lubed clears. Time to try a new switch? :D

Yes I am going to desolder all of them and put on new clears, i actually left the board out for drying a little in order to get rife of too much lube but it seems not working. Ty everyone
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:08:50 by kinruan »

Offline kinruan

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:07:02 »
Awesome, all the professional come out in this thread... 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:11:45 »
You could also try rubbing off some of the lube with a cotton swab or a Q-tip. Not sure if the lube will dry out but its worth a shot ^-^

Offline kinruan

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:46:59 »
You could also try rubbing off some of the lube with a cotton swab or a Q-tip. Not sure if the lube will dry out but its worth a shot ^-^

that means I have to open these switches one more time...it takes too long. But anyway Ty

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:52:28 »
But you're going to be desoldering and replacing them anyway, right? And it won't take as long as trying to wait for the lube to dry out. It just takes more effort.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:30:42 »
But you're going to be desoldering and replacing them anyway, right? And it won't take as long as trying to wait for the lube to dry out. It just takes more effort.

the point is, he REALLY hates doing it so many times. :D

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 14:28:40 »
You could perhaps do such a mod, the work wouldn't be worth it though.
It might be surprisingly less costly than one might think because of the fact most industrial construction cost with metal isn't due to the processing of the metal but due to the amount of the metal itself. And a keyboard would need little.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 14:31:45 by fateswarm »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:44:34 »
If you lube the tactile nub, you lose tactility, this is why some don't lube tactile switches or even recommend it. This goes double for Ergo Clears, which if the lube is too thick, can cause them to still until things work in.

Someone asked why lube the spring? Springs can twist and shift when compressing, but more than anything, it dampens noise a little bit.

I don't recommend Kryox (sp?) either, sorry, but that is a ripoff, it's lube, and nothing really special about it. Go to an RC shop and ask if they have any diff lube (grease for your springs) and silicone shock oil (for sliders, get light). It's all plastic safe (it has to be for those little cars) and comes in several viscosities. You would probably be shocked at the selection and $15 will probably get all the lube you want. Especially, if you ask if they just have some leftovers like I did. I got 3 oils, and one grease for only a couple bucks.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:54:10 »
If you lube the tactile nub, you lose tactility, this is why some don't lube tactile switches or even recommend it. This goes double for Ergo Clears, which if the lube is too thick, can cause them to still until things work in.

Someone asked why lube the spring? Springs can twist and shift when compressing, but more than anything, it dampens noise a little bit.

I don't recommend Kryox (sp?) either, sorry, but that is a ripoff, it's lube, and nothing really special about it. Go to an RC shop and ask if they have any diff lube (grease for your springs) and silicone shock oil (for sliders, get light). It's all plastic safe (it has to be for those little cars) and comes in several viscosities. You would probably be shocked at the selection and $15 will probably get all the lube you want. Especially, if you ask if they just have some leftovers like I did. I got 3 oils, and one grease for only a couple bucks.

No. you only got the good deal because chix don't go to those shops.. same crap happens when chix go to comic book stores.. they get free stuff.... or some ridiculous discount on some random thing. .. It's like women have +8 magic find when they go to these stores.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:17:05 »
No. you only got the good deal because chix don't go to those shops.. same crap happens when chix go to comic book stores.. they get free stuff.... or some ridiculous discount on some random thing. .. It's like women have +8 magic find when they go to these stores.
Jealous much?

I guess you didn't know that many hobby shops also sell arts and crafts as well as electronics and cell phones, even our local Radio Shack sold rc car stuff.  Besides, this isn't the 1800's, women can have the same hobbies as men and from what the guys there told me, there are several women at pretty much every racetrack driving the cars (and doing well). Besides, it's not like I'm some 18 year old parading around in a short skirt.

More than that, it doesn't hurt to try, but even at full price, $15 for both lubricants and all you could ever need, sure beats that Kryox price.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:20:10 »
­

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:24:42 »
Sounds like it's worth lubing the spring then and just leaving most switches alone to wear in on their own, with use.  How about the Victorinox oil for the springs then, since it's so cheap. And if I ever need to lube slider parts, I'd get Super Lube and use just a tiny filmy amount. That goes for ~$6.  So more like $10 total, unless I messed up with my evaluations.  But those should be good enough?

Offline typo

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:41:14 »
I got the idea to use bearing friction modifier on my clears. I like it. pretty much the same feel just smoother.

Offline kinruan

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 20:55:42 »

i agree, i should never lube the nub

Offline kinruan

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 20:57:01 »
Sounds like it's worth lubing the spring then and just leaving most switches alone to wear in on their own, with use.  How about the Victorinox oil for the springs then, since it's so cheap. And if I ever need to lube slider parts, I'd get Super Lube and use just a tiny filmy amount. That goes for ~$6.  So more like $10 total, unless I messed up with my evaluations.  But those should be good enough?

i never have Victorinox oil.. i was thinking about chain oil for my bike XD

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 21:06:21 »

i never have Victorinox oil.. i was thinking about chain oil for my bike XD

I thought the oil was only to keep dirt from thoroughly sticking..   Maybe it's dual purpose... idk... but that was my previous understanding.