Author Topic: Ergonomics of big bezels  (Read 5446 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Ergonomics of big bezels
« on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:45:56 »
I, for one, think big bezels are hideous.  I feel that this may not be an unpopular opinion.

But is there anything ergonomic about them?  Maybe they make a keyboard more sturdy, but I think they are bad for ergonomics, why?  Because they make you have to reach farther to the keyboard.  Sure, it doesn't really matter how big the bezels are you can always reach home row quite comfortably.  But if you have to cover some distance to reach home row, you have to go farther up your wrist rest (lets assume a wrist rest is being used in this example) and you have to reach farther to reach the function keys and maybe you will have to reach so far that it is cumbersome.  For example, i use this great wrist rest:

If the bezels are big, maybe I need to use the upper level to reach the home row, I would be more comfortable to only have to use the upper level to reach the function keys.

So i think that big bezels are far inferior to small ones.  Any thoughts?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Ergonomics of big bezels
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:50:18 »
There's nothing ergonomic about a flat keyboard period..

So no matter how much you optimize the flatness,  it will forever remain ergonomically Inadequate..

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 17:01:18 »

So no matter how much you optimize the flatness,  it will forever remain ergonomically Inadequate..

What? I never mentioned anything about a flat keyboard, I only use a raised keyboard (11° angle) so I agree with you 100%
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 17:48:09 »

What? I never mentioned anything about a flat keyboard, I only use a raised keyboard (11° angle) so I agree with you 100%

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 14:15:45 »
I completely agree, a big bezel is a turn off for me. The biggest issue I see is a big waste of space on my desk, though. I don't really use a rest as I type, so a large bezel doesn't do that much in terms of ergonomics.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 16:15:40 »
You mean the width of the border around the keys? Anything up to a centimetre is fine by me.

I don't see how it would have anything to do with how hard it is to reach the keys, though. I rest my wrists on the desk in front  of the keyboard and have no problem reaching the numeric row.

Offline Pliny

• has 1800 fever
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 16:29:14 »
I like big bezels and I cannot lie.

I started off on classic boards that were large, so I like the look and it doesn't bother me. Anyone who didn't imprint early on big bezels probably thinks it's retarded, after all why use more room than necessary?
"He will never, ever give you up. And, most importantly, he will never, ever let you down.”
- Melania T.