Author Topic: Typing a "t" also produces a space?  (Read 782 times)

Offline newtbit

Typing a "t" also produces a space?
« on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 07:36:04 »
Hi - I just joined this forum. I have a Keychron C2 with a strange problem. Frequently when I type a lowercase "t", a space character appears immediately afterward. So the word "type" appears as "t ype", for example. It happens about 20% of the time, and it doesn't happen for any other keys.

At first I thought maybe my thumb was brushing the spacebar key as I type, but I don't think that is what's happening.

Any advice appreciated!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: Typing a "t" also produces a space?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 09:28:54 »
Have you tried pulling the PCB out of the case and inspecting it? It sounds like something is shorting. That could be either something physically bridging the traces in the case. It could be a damaged PCB or poor solder from the factory. Worst case scenario, something is wonky with the IC. Check between the pins of any surface mount chip too; make sure the solder is clean and there's space between each individual solder blob.

If you notice anything suspicious, feel free to post a few photos too. Best of luck!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 16:46:08 »
The first thing I'd do is run HID Listen to check what key code is being sent after the T. There are quite a few key codes which print nothing on screen, like a space, but are not, in fact the key code for a space. If it's truly a space being sent that gives a direction for troubleshooting. If whatever is sent is something other than the code for a space that sends troubleshooting in a different direction.
REΛLFORCE

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 21:27:23 »
Keychrons have terrible build quality.

I'm not dissing your keyboard, I own 2x K2s and 2x K6s myself, so I know.

Open up the keyboard, and check the back of the PCB, there are alot of things that can cause this, everything from cracked traces, stray solder, broken terminals.

Be careful if it's a battery model, when you lift the pcb, do it gently so you do not damage the cable connector.

When you tighten or loosen the side screws, do it gently, or they will strip.

Take some high resolution pictures.

Offline newtbit

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 10:46:37 »
Thank you everybody for your great suggestions. While taking apart my keyboard, I also gave the "T" switch a good dusting with compressed air and this has fixed the problem.