Author Topic: A very good and SILENT keyboard  (Read 11361 times)

Offline nrp

A very good and SILENT keyboard
« on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 12:47:52 »
Guys.
I'm searching for a very solid keyboard for my work environment.
I spend lots of time on conference calls, usually un-muted and taking notes, documenting what is said, asking questions etc. To mute and unmute my phone during these calls would be quite an issue and counter productive.
So silence is important.
I'm currently using a Thinkpad-like desktop keyboard, from IBM. Parties on the other side can't hear me typing, and this is good.
Do you know of any mechanical keyboard, in TKL format, that would offer me the same noise level?
Thanks. I'd really appreciate any input you more experienced fellows could share.

Offline Wilkie

Re: A very good and SILENT keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 14:15:31 »
If you can wait for delivery, you might try the upcoming Zealencio silencing clips, which you could add to your favorite keyboard with linear or tactile Cherry, Gateron, or Zeal switches for a quiet experience.  GMK makes something similar called QMX Clip, which you can buy right now, but note that QMX Clip will only work on PCB-mounted switches.

Some keyboards come stock with Cherry MX Silent Red switches.  A likely very solid example (bigger than TKL, smaller than full-size) is the Leopold FC980M, available for pre-order at https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2048.

Matias also makes a "quiet linear" switch that is supposed to be very quiet, and I am curious how it compares to the above options (http://matias.ca/switches/linear/).  I do not know whether any keyboards come with this stock.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 14:17:10 »
Silenced realforce?

Topre isn't my cup of tea, but it's an objectively good product and should be quiet enough.

For lols I plugged in my beamspring and turned up the solenoid one time while on speakerphone with a colleague. It was amazing. And then I had to stop after like 45 seconds to get anything done.

Offline nrp

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 14:47:19 »
If you can wait for delivery, you might try the upcoming Zealencio silencing clips, which you could add to your favorite keyboard with linear or tactile Cherry, Gateron, or Zeal switches for a quiet experience.  GMK makes something similar called QMX Clip, which you can buy right now, but note that QMX Clip will only work on PCB-mounted switches.

Some keyboards come stock with Cherry MX Silent Red switches.  A likely very solid example (bigger than TKL, smaller than full-size) is the Leopold FC980M, available for pre-order at https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2048.

Matias also makes a "quiet linear" switch that is supposed to be very quiet, and I am curious how it compares to the above options (http://matias.ca/switches/linear/).  I do not know whether any keyboards come with this stock.

I got lots of emails from friends suggesting the Matias quiet. I will take a look.

Offline nrp

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 14:48:08 »
Silenced realforce?

Topre isn't my cup of tea, but it's an objectively good product and should be quiet enough.

For lols I plugged in my beamspring and turned up the solenoid one time while on speakerphone with a colleague. It was amazing. And then I had to stop after like 45 seconds to get anything done.

I'd love to try the Trope silent. I just don't know where to go to buy one. It seems it is sold out everywhere. Thanks for your suggestion.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 15:14:48 »
Isn't there an mx silent now.. get one of those.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 17:38:17 »
Matias Quiet Clicks are the quietest tactile switches you can buy besides pricey Topre. If you want something linear there are MX Silents and Matias Quiet Linears.

Offline nrp

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 17:39:43 »
Thank you so much, everyone. I'm already looking / researching all these suggestions.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 18:04:25 »

I got lots of emails from friends suggesting the Matias quiet. I will take a look.

There's no comparison between a silenced Realforce and Matias Quiet. Seriously:

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 18:23:10 »
...snip

I would second this. I have had a RealForce 104U silent and I still have a Matias Quick Click, as well as an HHKB Pro JP Type-S. The RealForce was the least noisy, followed by the HHKB Type-S. None of the three are silent however. Unfortunately I have not found a high-quality mechanical keyboard that comes close to the crappy rubber dome keyboards (Dell, HP, etc.) with respect to noise.

Offline nrp

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 18:31:31 »
I need a smaller keyboard. So it would be the Realforce 87u Silent. But these are nowhere to be found.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 18:36:32 »
I need a smaller keyboard. So it would be the Realforce 87u Silent. But these are nowhere to be found.

Check Amazon.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 19:06:24 »

Do Matias Quiet Linear and Quiet Click sound the same?  It seems possible Quiet Linear is quieter than Quiet Click, but I don't have any to test.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 19:30:04 »

Do Matias Quiet Linear and Quiet Click sound the same?  It seems possible Quiet Linear is quieter than Quiet Click, but I don't have any to test.

The above is the Quiet Pro, not the Quiet Click. I can't find any samples of the Quiet Linear, however Matias' marketing blurb states:

"Matias Quiet Linear switches are no louder than the generic keyboards that most computers come with, and quieter than many of them."

In my opinion, the silenced RF is definitely quieter than most generic keyboards.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 19:53:05 »
If you like linear switches, definitely take a look at Matias quite linear switches. They are the quietest mechanical switch I have ever tried. I haven't compared it to silenced Topre, but it's quieter than non-silenced HHKB Topre. I think it's quieter than some loud rubber dome membrane boards. Regarding TKL, the only TKL with Matias quiet linear I know of is KBP V80.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 23:07:15 »
it's already been mentioned but the silent realforce is really really silent. though i would recommend doing something extra for the stabilized keys
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Applet

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 04:08:14 »
The Matias Quiet Clicks in my alps64 (steel plate) is way louder than the lubed and trapoline modded ergo clears board I built for work (all acrylic). I'm guessing the linear is a lot quieter

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 08:02:42 »

Check Amazon.

Another source:
http://www.smartimports.net/topre-realforce-87usw-low-noise-model-keyboard/

Also this model has uniform 55g switches, and I've been tempted to give it a try. If only it were a little less expensive. Anybody have this model???

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 08:27:48 »

Offline Laurel

Offline nrp

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 09:42:07 »
I would like to try these "silent" switches. This keyboard is a 104-key, full size. I didn't see any TKL using these switches. I will keep looking. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cherry MX silent:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:05:26 »
GMK uniqey keyboard, sold on the uniqey website.

Any pcb mounted keyboard with gmq uniqey clips (for example a g80-1800 or g80-3000).

These two options are more silent than a keyboard with cherry mx silent switches.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:30:10 »
Cherry MX silent:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent

After listening to sound samples, I'm convinced that these are definitely louder than silenced Topre.

Offline nrp

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:32:04 »
Guys,

After all the input here, I got myself a Topre and, let me tell you, this is pure heaven.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:39:31 »
Guys,

After all the input here, I got myself a Topre and, let me tell you, this is pure heaven.

1391406 likes this.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 15:41:09 by 1391406 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 16:01:46 »
Guys,

Oooh, what did you end up getting specifically?

Offline kosm3

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 16:19:58 »
Hypersphere rings are still avaible on ebay :
More
These are very well made rings for topres. Also you could consider lubing the sliders for more silence, tho i don't know if that is possible on a realforce.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 17:49:11 »
If you guys have a keyboard with PCB mounted switches, I suggest you to buy the gmk silencers. Pure silence also on the stabilised keys.

Offline nrp

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 23:17:20 »

I got a Topre clone, a Plum 84. Silent enough (same noise as a membrane board, maybe even less), small. Clicks all the boxes.

I had no idea the Topres (and clones up to a point) were not very noisy. Now I'm thinking about what keyboard I will get for my other computer. It will be a Topre (or Clone), maybe the new Leopold FC980C when it becomes available.

BTW, this Plum is very light at 35g but I'm loving it. I have no issues at all.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the help. It is very much appreciated.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 00:55:34 »

I got a Topre clone, a Plum 84. Silent enough (same noise as a membrane board, maybe even less), small. Clicks all the boxes.

I had no idea the Topres (and clones up to a point) were not very noisy. Now I'm thinking about what keyboard I will get for my other computer. It will be a Topre (or Clone), maybe the new Leopold FC980C when it becomes available.

BTW, this Plum is very light at 35g but I'm loving it. I have no issues at all.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the help. It is very much appreciated.

Mmm, is the upstroke of the plum silenced? It doesn't seem quiet at all. Can you record the sound?

Offline nrp

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 12:37:22 »
Mmm, is the upstroke of the plum silenced? It doesn't seem quiet at all. Can you record the sound?

Good point. It is silent enough that colleagues nearby are not bothered and customers/coworkers don't hear noise during conference calls when I'm using my headset.

I did some tests. They can't hear me typing when on the phone - and this was my #1 concern.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:14:49 »

Good point. It is silent enough that colleagues nearby are not bothered and customers/coworkers don't hear noise during conference calls when I'm using my headset.

I did some tests. They can't hear me typing when on the phone - and this was my #1 concern.

You asked for a very good and silent keyboard. The plum is neither of that.

Offline nrp

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:18:41 »

Regarding it being good or not, I'm loving it.
And regarding the silence, like I said, the team on the bridge can't hear me typing. That is all the silence I need.

Thank you so much for the help.

Offline E3E

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:22:02 »
And regarding the silence, like I said, the team on the bridge can't hear me typing. That is all the silence I need.

What matters most is that you're enjoying your new keyboard, and it seems like it's perfect for your needs, so that's awesome! I hope that it continues serving your needs well. :)

The 84 key 75% layout is one that  is not offered by Topre, so it's definitely exotic in and of itself. It's a great, no fuss layout.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:29:06 »

Welcome

Offline mushman

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:40:17 »

I also enjoy typing on the Plum 35g!

I'm not an engineer - I have no idea if Topre is made "better."  What I can tell you is that I'll never be able to answer that question of "better" because Topre doesn't sell a compact ANSI 30g silenced board with MX compatible stems.  It doesn't exist!  And even if it did we're talking what? $250 minimum?  I highly doubt that this hypothetical Topre will be $150 better.

Topre evangelists can spit on 35g Plum's when you can compare apples to apples.

Offline nrp

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 22:40:49 »
The truth is that after a series of models m's and white alps, this topre clone here is extremely silent. I guess it is all relative.

I need a second keyboard for another computer, but I have decided to wait for the FC980C. No need to rush. I can wait a couple of months.

Offline E3E

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 01:33:02 »
Topre evangelists can spit on 35g Plum's when you can compare apples to apples.

Well said.  :thumb:

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 07:46:03 »
Be careful recommending GMK. They're Nazis and only ship to master race "Germanic" countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, UK, US & Canada). No luck for us slaves living in Poland, France, Italy, Sweden or anywhere else...
I contacted them about that and said it's because of the "law". When I asked if they noticed it's 2016, not 1940s, they didn't reply, soo....
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Crapbag

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 08:49:47 »
USA is a Germanic country?

Offline nrp

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 09:05:47 »
USA is a Germanic country?

Guys,

Guys,
We know better.
May I suggest we drop the geographical, historical and political rhetoric? All extremely important topics but definitely misplaced in this forum dedicated to crazy-die-hard-fans-of-extremely-good-and-sometimes-not-so-good-mech-boards.
Before it's too late.

Offline dilbertprogrammer

• Keyboard Connoisseur
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 08:37:57 »
I second the vote above the Matias Quiet Click switch.  This would be a fine board: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1324

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 16:40:58 »

I have two and they are my favorite keyboard. It's my understanding that they discontinued them. You might try Amazon Japan to see if you can pick one up there.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 16:50:08 »
When noise or lack of noise is important - You need to consider the level of noise in the environment you are welling to tolerate.

MX RED, Matias Quiet or Topre (silenced or not) are well below the level that is going to bother your fellow coworkers in a normal office space.

If you use your computer in the bedroom besides your sleeping girlfriend. Then Topre silenced or cheap rubberdome is probably the only way to go.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Pennyz

• Vegeta
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 00:04:15 »
Adding a kind of silent ring to the shaft will help you.
I ♥ Night Caps.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 07:54:45 »
When noise or lack of noise is important - You need to consider the level of noise in the environment you are welling to tolerate.

MX RED, Matias Quiet or Topre (silenced or not) are well below the level that is going to bother your fellow coworkers in a normal office space.

If you use your computer in the bedroom besides your sleeping girlfriend. Then Topre silenced or cheap rubberdome is probably the only way to go.

Uniqey clips by gmk are way quieter than a membrane keyboard.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 08:16:09 »
Esp. if the membrane keyboard is Model M. ^_^

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 12:12:38 »

I have a rubberdome M - It's not that quiet :-)
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 12:14:14 »

Uniqey clips by gmk are way quieter than a membrane keyboard.

Agree - While there, laptop style scissor or chicklet keys are quiet too
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 12:55:21 »
I have a rubberdome M - It's not that quiet :-)
I was being sarcastic. Buckling-spring Model M is still membrane.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 14:00:37 »

^ This, I've brought MX Red, MX Brown, Topre (non-silent), Type Heaven (ABS caps a little bit louder than normal PBT Topre) to my work and no one complained so far.

I'm pretty sure Matias Quiet Pro would be fine too.

But yes if your significant other is sleeping next to you while you're typing, definitely Silent Topre or Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden