Author Topic: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.  (Read 388859 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: What are you watching? The thread about what you're watching.
« Reply #2100 on: Fri, 24 November 2023, 19:27:53 »
The Man in the White Suit  a lightweight and entertaining example of early-1950s British comedy that clocks in at only 1:25 - a nice little romp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_White_Suit
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iri

« Reply #2101 on: Sun, 03 December 2023, 14:08:36 »
Battleship Potemkin is an absolute masterpiece. I can only imagine the emotions of the people who saw it in 1925.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2102 on: Sun, 03 December 2023, 16:08:51 »
Just watched Napoleon. Uhmm... It's Ok........ Not as fun as the online critique would lead one to berieve.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #2103 on: Sun, 03 December 2023, 17:21:40 »
A Nearly Normal Family

Pretty good, binge-watched it.

304613-0
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #2104 on: Tue, 05 December 2023, 06:42:05 »
Saw Godzilla Minus One on Saturday... might be the best movie I've ever seen. The action and destruction was jaw-dropping, the tension during conflicts was masterfully done IMO. I won't spoil but it's a must see for anyone IMO.

The depiction of trauma was pretty well done too IMO.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2105 on: Thu, 14 December 2023, 02:33:02 »
The Barbie Movie was really not for me

I'm a fairly liberal guy, but I felt like I was being force fed propaganda the entire time. I can't believe it got made like that.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2106 on: Thu, 14 December 2023, 07:59:49 »

I'm a fairly liberal guy, but I felt like I was being force fed propaganda the entire time. I can't believe it got made like that.

I feel mostly the same way. I didn't watch it until recently but after hearing glowing reports for months on end, including from people I deeply respect, I thought that it was ultimately pretty crude and lightweight.

Like many movies, I really liked the first half but was let down and disappointed by the back side of the curve.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

« Reply #2107 on: Fri, 22 December 2023, 10:45:26 »
Corner Office, with Jon Hamm.
Weird, but interesting, somehow...

305060-0

A Murder at the End of the World
What a waste of time...
Good beginning, but then they started with all booooring retrospections and killed the mood.
Main character so f***ing annoying, story dragged like hell... what a waste of a good story.
Apologies for this summary, I get frustrated only thinking about this show...

305062-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 December 2023, 10:53:38 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2108 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 08:27:13 »

I feel mostly the same way. I didn't watch it until recently but after hearing glowing reports for months on end, including from people I deeply respect, I thought that it was ultimately pretty crude and lightweight.

Like many movies, I really liked the first half but was let down and disappointed by the back side of the curve.

Quite concerned that humanity is still so lost it still can't figure out his and her circumstances.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2109 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 08:27:34 »
Corner Office, with Jon Hamm.
Weird, but interesting, somehow...

(Attachment Link)

A Murder at the End of the World
What a waste of time...
Good beginning, but then they started with all booooring retrospections and killed the mood.
Main character so f***ing annoying, story dragged like hell... what a waste of a good story.
Apologies for this summary, I get frustrated only thinking about this show...

(Attachment Link)

Downloading......

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2110 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 10:41:42 »
Corner office.

Good Beginning, Good Second Act,   Could've used a bit more twist at the end.  Success would've been too realistic or cliche,  maybe the director's cut will have an Alternate.

The point is though, they could've left it open ended enough, that we see the psychosis evolve further. 

Offline phinix

« Reply #2111 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 14:37:21 »
Corner office.

Good Beginning, Good Second Act,   Could've used a bit more twist at the end.  Success would've been too realistic or cliche,  maybe the director's cut will have an Alternate.

The point is though, they could've left it open ended enough, that we see the psychosis evolve further. 

Yep, exactly. They could have left it opened. It was a bit plain, maybe if it was a bit shorter, I don't know.
It was a peculiar one, that's for sure. Not to be ignored, worth to see it. Plus I like Jon, he's great in all his movies.

TP, have you seen A Young Doctor's Notebook? That is fun, I highly recommend! :)

305078-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2112 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 18:54:44 »
Corner office.

Yep, exactly. They could have left it opened. It was a bit plain, maybe if it was a bit shorter, I don't know.
It was a peculiar one, that's for sure. Not to be ignored, worth to see it. Plus I like Jon, he's great in all his movies.

TP, have you seen A Young Doctor's Notebook? That is fun, I highly recommend! :)

(Attachment Link)

Supposedly there are 3 short story novels by that guy on the same series. So there might be next movie.

I'm downloading the doctor now.

Offline transeurasian

« Reply #2113 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 05:42:08 »
urgently need a list of world cinema masterpieces

Offline iri

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2115 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 07:07:42 »
This is almost universally trash: https://www.imdb.com/chart/top/
Mostly trash: https://www.timeout.com/film/best-movies-of-all-time
Less trash, but still a lot of trash: https://www.timeout.com/film/the-top-50-foreign-films-of-all-time-foreign-language
Slightly less trash than the previous list: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-world-cinema-movies-list/ranker-film

I don't think those lists are as bad as you say they are.

IMO the letterboxd top 250 narrative films is pretty comprehensive of a lot of the best world cinema has to offer, but there is still is more niche stuff that isn't on the list.  - https://letterboxd.com/dave/list/official-top-250-narrative-feature-films/
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2116 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 14:45:52 »
Less trash, but still a lot of trash: https://www.timeout.com/film/the-top-50-foreign-films-of-all-time-foreign-language
Slightly less trash than the previous list: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-world-cinema-movies-list/ranker-film

Parasite is good, but drastically overrated imo
Amélie is one of the most annoying movies I've ever seen

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2117 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 17:15:47 »
A young doctor's notebook.

It's an interesting drama. Some of the plot pieces don't make much sense, but nothing is outright unbelievable.

The natasha arc seemed a bit ham.

Pelageya, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

Offline phinix

« Reply #2118 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 20:10:24 »
A young doctor's notebook.

It's an interesting drama. Some of the plot pieces don't make much sense, but nothing is outright unbelievable.

The natasha arc seemed a bit ham.

Pelageya, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

Pelageya... oooh Pelageya....  :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2119 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 20:33:06 »
Watched TMNT 1990 last night for the first time in probably over 30 years. Honestly I think it holds up as a movie. It has some mature themes, and real character growth.
The human actors are not great, and it could have been about 20 minutes longer to make it feel less edited down, but overall a fun watch.
The suits still look amazing, albeit a bit limited in movement understandably. I also really like some of the experimental looking shots in some scenes. I think the director only did music videos before this film (he did the Take On Me video.)
305135-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2120 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 12:23:01 »
Pelageya... oooh Pelageya....  :D

Really love the character design, she's self aware, intelligent, good natured, hardworking, inextravagent, pragmatic and COMPETENT.

If Tp4 is ever rich enough to have to hire a headmistress for the household, Pelageya is precisely what one'd look for.

Offline iri

« Reply #2121 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 14:25:04 »

I don't think those lists are as bad as you say they are.

IMO the letterboxd top 250 narrative films is pretty comprehensive of a lot of the best world cinema has to offer, but there is still is more niche stuff that isn't on the list.  - https://letterboxd.com/dave/list/official-top-250-narrative-feature-films/
This is more interesting than the lists that I posted. The only Western list that I've seen that includes Ascension.

But also, it includes absolutely immense trash such as 'inglorious basterds' and 'django unchained' which shouldn't be allowed in any "top N" lists.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2122 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 21:48:55 »
Watching what if s2 merry Christmas everyone

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #2123 on: Tue, 02 January 2024, 09:10:35 »
Saw Godzilla Minus One on Saturday... might be the best movie I've ever seen. The action and destruction was jaw-dropping, the tension during conflicts was masterfully done IMO. I won't spoil but it's a must see for anyone IMO.

The depiction of trauma was pretty well done too IMO.

went to see it in theaters again for a 2nd time lol. still 11/10
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2124 on: Tue, 02 January 2024, 19:56:08 »
Watched TMNT 1990 last night for the first time in probably over 30 years. Honestly I think it holds up as a movie. It has some mature themes, and real character growth.
The human actors are not great, and it could have been about 20 minutes longer to make it feel less edited down, but overall a fun watch.
The suits still look amazing, albeit a bit limited in movement understandably. I also really like some of the experimental looking shots in some scenes. I think the director only did music videos before this film (he did the Take On Me video.)

The costumes hold up imho.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2125 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 10:46:25 »

Watched TMNT 1990 last night

The costumes hold up imho.

Drumpf's New Year's Eve party was headlined by Vanilla Ice, with a Mutant Turtle and an Elvis impersonator as the supporting acts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2024/01/01/trump-new-years-party-mar-lago-vanilla-ice-florida-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-michaelangelo/72076766007/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2126 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 15:41:38 »
Mission impossible Dead Reckoning.

This movie was so incredibly vapid, end to end cliches.  ChatGPT could've wrote a way better script. They should've used AI instead of crappy hughmahn writers..

About the only good thing is how pretty Hayley Atwell is, but even then, they davinci resolved all the female faces into wax marionettes.

None of them look remotely lifelike.  How can a franchise of this budget have such technical failings?

305268-0

305280-1

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2127 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 16:27:29 »
Watched The Greasy Strangler last night. A heartwarming tale about a father and son.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2128 on: Mon, 08 January 2024, 18:53:28 »
Rewatched napoleon. It's pretty good on TV, not a whole lot of HDR highlights, but it's not that type of movie.

Was napoleon autistic? It seems like that's what Joaquin is going for.  It's almost like he's channeling Elon Musk, except french and no electric cars.

The framing is excellent.

305451-0

Offline phinix

« Reply #2129 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 03:39:52 »
Rewatched napoleon. It's pretty good on TV, not a whole lot of HDR highlights, but it's not that type of movie.

Was napoleon autistic? It seems like that's what Joaquin is going for.  It's almost like he's channeling Elon Musk, except french and no electric cars.

The framing is excellent.

(Attachment Link)

Haha:) I need to watch it then :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2130 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 12:35:52 »
Went back and watched every season of Fargo recently.  Hard to pick a favorite.  Maybe season 1 or 2? Season 3 starts off too slow.  Season 4 drags on too long.  Interested to see how season 5 will end.  Can't wait for the Sheriff to get it.  Let's hope he does.  Jon Hamm plays a great bad guy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 January 2024, 12:58:50 by pixelpusher »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2131 on: Tue, 09 January 2024, 16:26:37 »
Went back and watched every season of Fargo recently.  Hard to pick a favorite.  Maybe season 1 or 2? Season 3 starts off too slow.  Season 4 drags on too long.  Interested to see how season 5 will end.  Can't wait for the Sheriff to get it.  Let's hope he does.  Jon Hamm plays a great bad guy.

1 and 2 are fantastic, season 4 didn't even feel like the same show. Literally nothing to do with anything the show is about, it didn't even take place in the same state.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2132 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 03:08:40 »

My favourite are season 1 and 2. 3 was mediocre and 4th one... jeez, it should have not come out at all! I was watching first episode, not understanding why they moved it to Chicago, but when all those black guys squashed in a wee room started dancing or something, I turned it off. What a seriously stupid idea...
I haven't watched new one, waiting till its over to binge watch it:)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2133 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 14:57:35 »
Watching "Echo"

Only through the 1st episode, honestly, I can see that hollywood is being inclusive "now" on gender, face-types, weight, race,   BUT, the plot, it's yet another hey lets make a woman powerful, now she's a violent psychopathic man, hurray, she's great.

Is greatness synonymous with NOTHING but Normalized violence in our society?

Offline phinix

« Reply #2135 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 16:26:00 »
Manchester By The Sea
A simple movie about very unfortunate, horrible accident and its outcome. Sad, but if you like Casey Affleck, then it fine to watch.

305501-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2136 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 18:19:22 »
Unpopular opinion: The low framerate in the Spiderverse movies just looks straight up bad, and it distracts you from the movie. It's not a stylistic decision, it just looks terrible.
If they wanted to be stylized, take notes from the Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem movie. That **** looks amazing, and does not choose to deliver inferior visual quality for some dumb hipster bull**** art school dropout pompous reason.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2137 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 18:31:05 »
Unpopular opinion: The low framerate in the Spiderverse movies just looks straight up bad, and it distracts you from the movie. It's not a stylistic decision, it just looks terrible.
If they wanted to be stylized, take notes from the Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem movie. That **** looks amazing, and does not choose to deliver inferior visual quality for some dumb hipster bull**** art school dropout pompous reason.

How dare you you don't know the meaning of ART

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2138 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 19:25:45 »

How dare you you don't know the meaning of ART

making something purposely worse is not a style
you wouldn't build a $5000 pc then slap a GTX 480 in it

Offline phinix

« Reply #2139 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 20:11:48 »
Out of the Furnace
Good movie, another sad story, but I liked Christian in it. Similar subject like in old movie with Patrick Swayze - Next of Kin.

305540-0

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2140 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 20:44:11 »

I mean it is a stylistic choice, it's supposed to represent the inexperience of miles and how new he is to the spiderman thing, like Peter B Parker is animated a lot more smoother because of his experience, it's something that adds to the personal journey of miles and I really like it.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2141 on: Sat, 13 January 2024, 07:38:51 »
They also had this movie on demo at the sony a95l booth. Looks super insane on qdoled. Perhaps NT would've enjoyed it more watching it on a better display.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2142 on: Mon, 15 January 2024, 13:18:32 »
Just finished Equalizer 3,

Sigh.. cinematography is great, but.

Are these films just psyops or perhaps society's self-delusion. CIA saves the day, mafia dies, if something is bad, just take a gun and go kill it, AMERICA..

Denzel signing up for this to champion the CIA as a just organization, does he not know what these systems have done to the black community ?

This is the depth of what qualifies for imagination? Or are such fantasies necessary to obscure how deeply unjust/corrupt civilization has become.

..Headshake..

305563-0
305565-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2143 on: Mon, 15 January 2024, 15:24:02 »
Gran Turismo.

This wasn't bad, the sound design is really what made the scenes enveloping. The visuals are a bunch of chase reel type shots we've seen a million times in games and other films.

Overall, well done, a good blend of fact and fiction.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2144 on: Mon, 15 January 2024, 17:32:21 »
Just finished Equalizer 3,

Sigh.. cinematography is great, but.

Are these films just psyops or perhaps society's self-delusion. CIA saves the day, mafia dies, if something is bad, just take a gun and go kill it, AMERICA..

Denzel signing up for this to champion the CIA as a just organization, does he not know what these systems have done to the black community ?

This is the depth of what qualifies for imagination? Or are such fantasies necessary to obscure how deeply unjust/corrupt civilization has become.

..Headshake..

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Yeah, I've seen it some time ago. It is kinda fantasy of new generation :)

But those views.... I wish I could visit those places.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #2145 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 08:06:01 »
Gran Turismo.

This wasn't bad, the sound design is really what made the scenes enveloping. The visuals are a bunch of chase reel type shots we've seen a million times in games and other films.

Overall, well done, a good blend of fact and fiction.

I wish they had daiki kasho do the music

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2146 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 08:45:44 »
The Marvels, omg, it's actually worse than everyone said it was.

Did the smole hughmahns even like this?

It's so bad, buy puts on disney?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2147 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 20:24:17 »
Watching 1st season of For all mankind,

Didn't expect this lvl of traumatic.

Now Tp4 is super depressed. God damn you apple, why was this necessary in the script. You've just lost a customer, Tp4 certainly wouldn't be buying ne more ifones.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2148 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 03:15:59 »
Watching 1st season of For all mankind,

Didn't expect this lvl of traumatic.

Now Tp4 is super depressed. God damn you apple, why was this necessary in the script. You've just lost a customer, Tp4 certainly wouldn't be buying ne more ifones.

Show Image

So tp was buying i****?!
Tp, not good. That is all crap, invented by some serious prick, avoid all their products, tp. AVOID.

Offline iri

« Reply #2149 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 03:57:56 »
What am I supposed to use then, an Android phone that openly sends to Google literally all data it can mine on me?

-Ray Bradbury