Author Topic: Need input. Possible to connect QFR to Galaxy View  (Read 7161 times)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
Need input. Possible to connect QFR to Galaxy View
« on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 13:54:01 »
Update: I picked up this OTG cable and it works great. Thanks a ton to those that recommended it
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Micro-USB-On-The-Go-Adapter/dp/B00GM0OZ4O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Anybody out there know if I can connect my QFR to a Samsung Galaxy View "tablet" ?

Im wanting to take the View to the Asheville meetup, for easier communication (since I'm deaf), and am trying to figure out how to rig the QFR up to it for typing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:02:03 by tigersharkdude »

Offline toidbb

Re: Need input. Possible to connect QFR to Galaxy View
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:01:14 »
There are probably two ways to do so, you may be able to buy an MHL adapter (OTG) that allows you to connect USB devices to it. But I do not know how much power that would draw and you may need a powered USB hub connected in line as well.

Or you can buy the USB to Bluetooth box that would allow your QFR to be used over Bluetooth to the tablet.

http://handheldsci.com/kb

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:05:28 »
There are probably two ways to do so, you may be able to buy an MHL adapter (OTG) that allows you to connect USB devices to it. But I do not know how much power that would draw and you may need a powered USB hub connected in line as well.

Or you can buy the USB to Bluetooth box that would allow your QFR to be used over Bluetooth to the tablet.

:( was hoping it would be as simple as a Micro-to-mini usb cable

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:07:30 »

Looks to me like theres a jack on the side, so the cable should work? specs say usb 2.0

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:08:33 »

An OTG cable basically is that simple. It should cost about $7, is small and easy to carry. Well worth it. I use my HHKB on my Samsung Galaxy S5 this way all the time. Only downside is that doing that I lose predictive text and, worst of all, spell check. But that would be the same regardless how how you hooked up the device.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:10:51 »

An OTG cable basically is that simple. It should cost about $7, is small and easy to carry. Well worth it. I use my HHKB on my Samsung Galaxy S5 this way all the time. Only downside is that doing that I lose predictive text and, worst of all, spell check. But that would be the same regardless how how you hooked up the device.

Looked it up, looks like an adapter that I would plug my keyboard cable into and then would go to the tablet? I'll see what i can get going this weekend

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:12:16 »
Looked it up, looks like an adapter that I would plug my keyboard cable into and then would go to the tablet? I'll see what i can get going this weekend

Yup, exactly. I got mine off of Amazon. They are super helpful, and inexpensive. And they will work with pretty much any device you need to hook up. Highly recommend.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:22:14 »
anyone know where I might be able to find an OTG cable locally? We have a ton of electronics places locally but i dont even know where to look for that at. I checked Staples and Office Max, and all of the OTGs that I see are online only

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:45:41 »

http://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Converter-Adapter-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B00N9S9Z0G

Maybe someone can confirm this is what would work, if you don't have prime I could help get one to you one way or another. Not sure how quick you need it though.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 14:56:20 »
This is the one I use with my Galaxy. I'm sure you can find one locally someplace, they are pretty common. Try and call around, maybe they just don't list them as in stock?

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 15:05:39 »
This is the one I use with my Galaxy. I'm sure you can find one locally someplace, they are pretty common. Try and call around, maybe they just don't list them as in stock?

I'm deaf, that's why I'm looking for this actually. Usually when I go to meet ups I don't get to converse much, and a bunch of people are going to asheville and I want to be able to chat

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 15:07:13 »

I'm deaf, that's why I'm looking for this actually. Usually when I go to meet ups I don't get to converse much, and a bunch of people are going to asheville and I want to be able to chat
Hmmm...that is right, calling won't work. I know I've seen them at the Target here. But what they carry can swing wildly from store to store.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 19:20:00 »

Hmmm...that is right, calling won't work. I know I've seen them at the Target here. But what they carry can swing wildly from store to store.

didnt even think of Target, they tend to have a bunch of electronic stuff ... i'll go  there tomorrow

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:53:56 »
Posting this on my tablet, using my QFR :D

picked up an OTG cable from Amazon and it works great

Thanks a ton to the people that recommended it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 15:48:51 »
The OTG works with my keyboard..  but, sigh.. OK..

If you're AT HOME... a computer is like 10-100x faster than a tablet..  So... hahahahaha.. imho it's not even worth the cost of the connector to play it that way.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 18:01:27 »
The OTG works with my keyboard..  but, sigh.. OK..

If you're AT HOME... a computer is like 10-100x faster than a tablet..  So... hahahahaha.. imho it's not even worth the cost of the connector to play it that way.

General garbage Tp4 post .... aka: didn't read the op