Author Topic: Mouse pad tour and looking for testers.  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Mouse pad tour and looking for testers.
« on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 22:21:21 »
So I have some customs mouse pads at the painter right now getting some Cerakote treatment. I am looking for people to test these pads with regards to tracking.  I would like to focus on people that have a good range of different sensors,  mostly optical.  From what I hear laser sensors are more forgiving so I am a little less concerned.

Here are the specifics of these pads.  They are 1/16" 6061 T-6, 10"x 12". The finish on them is C series Cerakote. One in C-138Q Jet Black, one in C-110 Micro Slick (dry film lubricant that still has the abrasion properties of the C series Cerakote),  and one with a mix of those two.  I am not sure if there are any pics on the interwebs with this mix, but I did get it confirmed that the C-110 will mix with any other C series color.  I will provide images to pictures after I confirm which shade of black being used.

I am also considering ordering some UHMW as test pads to include.  If I do this,  these will be 1/4" thick. All pads will have silicone strips on the bottom for feet.  The reason for UHMW over Teflon or delrin is the cost to performance ratio.  UHMW is about a third the cost of the other two with probably 85%+ of the physical properties.

After the testers are done,  I would like to send these on a bit of a tour.  If you are interested in either phase please state your interest below.  I would ask that all participants pay for shipping to the next person.

I will post preferred details of shipping later when I get done with my current job. I am currently working 2 hours away from home.  I would also like to keep this to CONUS.  I could make an exception to this if the international users are willing to pay full shipping one way, and the difference of domestic to international the other way.  I still don't like the idea though due to the cost of raw materials in the box.  The cerakote alone for these three pads will be over $100 out of my pocket.  I know chump change for some, but I am still a working class average Joe.

Melvang

Edited 29APR2016 Added links for pics
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 April 2016, 23:37:59 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Mouse pad tour and looking for testers.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 22:21:44 »
Reserved
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline woll3

• ESL Profile
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 10:12:09 »
But does it come in Multicam?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 12:32:03 »
The version of cerakote I've felt before was smooth but on the side of a very fine sand-paper-ee..

It didn't feel like porcelain ceramic gloss..

Are there different cerakotes ?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 20:02:18 »
But does it come in Multicam?

I does not, and I wouldn't recommend it with full masking.  For one, with the masking, there will be hard lines at different elevations, which will catch your mice feet, or cause very fast wear.  If you want an actual high def camo print, I would recommend getting the piece hydrodipped, and then a Cerakote matte clear.  The problem here is getting the cerakote to stick reliably.  For Cerakote, the surface needs to be etched.  Doing this with aluminum involves media blasting with specific grits.  This alone would kill any hydrodipped image.

The version of cerakote I've felt before was smooth but on the side of a very fine sand-paper-ee..

It didn't feel like porcelain ceramic gloss..

Are there different cerakotes ?

Yes there are.  To the public there is the C, H, W, V, P, PC, and MC series.  Then to law enforcement and military only, there is the HIR series which was designed for visual and infrared signature management.

The C is a high temp ceramic coating that has a room temp cure.  This is what I am using for my test pads, and what was used on Mstarrs pad.  For the pad I currently have at Rainbow, I am using the H series.  The C series has a lower friction but lower abrasion resistance.  This customer wanted the touch higher friction. 

More info can be found here.

www.cerakoteguncoatings.com
www.cerakotehightemp.com

And it doesn't matter what you do, these are not the gloss ceramic finish you find in those green non stick ceramic cookware.  The actual ceramic is essentially ground up and suspended in the paint which also includeds, pigments and solvents.  When it gets sprayed, the solvents evaporate, and leave the solids from the pigments and the ceramic.  Besides, a gloss finish can cause issues with standard LED based optical sensors.  Laser are more forgiving.  I have heard that some laser sensor can track on a dusty mirror.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 13:17:44 »
Hrrrmmm...   The key for smooth gloss would be Thinnest of layer no? If we just get a very thin layer of the smooth gloss, it shouldn't be terribly refractive.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 14:46:52 »
Hrrrmmm...   The key for smooth gloss would be Thinnest of layer no? If we just get a very thin layer of the smooth gloss, it shouldn't be terribly refractive.

No, the key for gloss vs matte finish has to do with the smoothness of the solids left behind after all solvent evaporation.  Size and shape of the solids may have a little to do with it, but thickness doesn't effect gloss levels.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 19:07:35 »
The test pads are done and have been paid for.   Just need to wait for them to come in the mail and not be working out of town. 

I also have some material for a soft control pad.  If the control pad works how I want it to, the cloth top layer and the middle cushion layer will be removable,  replaceable,  and washable.  For the top layer I currently have an 18% spandex blend. For the middle middle cushion layer I have chosen to go with a felt material.

Still looking for testers and people interested in the tour.  These pads will be for sale after the tour.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 19:10:40 »
this is a really cool idea, I would love to be a tester/on the tour
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.