Author Topic: How hard is it to build your own pc after you bought the parts?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
Will try to build a pc for a friend.watched a lot of instruction videos and stuff and I know where like 90% of the things go. Is it hard to assemply it ?I mean i got general knowledge but never build a whole pc for myself.Been putting in and out stuff for a long time tho.DVD players rams gpus,cpu coolers etc

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: How hard is it to build your own pc after you bought the parts?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 10:50:58 »
If you're careful and don't rush, it's not that hard. Just snapping and screwing things together.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 10:58:11 »
Just look up a guide, it's pretty damn simple overall.

There's plenty of video guides.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 10:59:13 »
I tell all my friends the same thing, it's about as hard as building a lego set. A very, very expensive lego set :))
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:05:05 »
I tell all my friends the same thing, it's about as hard as building a lego set. A very, very expensive lego set :))
With the cost of some of these lego sets, it can be comparable in cost...  :p

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:05:15 »
I have built my fair share of systems. The last one was just a few months ago. The research took longer than anything. Once I had all the parts I had everything powered on in about an hour. Then it was just a matter of installing the OS and drivers.

It is very straight forward. Try not to over think it. Proceed with an appropriate amount of caution - run thing using out of the box settings until you are more comfortable, and you will be fine.  The most nerve wracking part if it is you first time is probably going to be seating the CPU. This will require some pressure to clip in. Apply steady force and you'll be okay. And if you run into trouble ask!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:10:55 »
Everything can only go in one place tbh. Bits like the GPU and memory will withstand more pressure than you think, which you need to use to get them into the MOBO.

The easiest bit to get wrong is plugging in all the jumpers onto the motherboard, but it's just a case of reading the instructions for your case and motherboard side by side.

Everything needs power and a connection to the mobo, if you follow that you can't go far wrong.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Apexx

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 11:38:08 »
It really is not that bad. I was in your position a few years ago and just dove in. I did a lot of research and it took me a few hours at max to build it. After you build your first computer, it becomes very easy if you want to build another in the future.

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 12:25:40 »
Nothing really difficult about it. Just make sure to get the right parts and take your time as to not damage anything (in particular the CPU pins).

Should take less than an hour at a moderate pace and first-time builder.

One thing that caught me up the first time I ever assembled a PC was that there are mounting screws that need to go under the motherboard to raise it up from the case.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 12:31:51 »
Everything can only go in one place tbh. Bits like the GPU and memory will withstand more pressure than you think, which you need to use to get them into the MOBO.

The easiest bit to get wrong is plugging in all the jumpers onto the motherboard, but it's just a case of reading the instructions for your case and motherboard side by side.

Everything needs power and a connection to the mobo, if you follow that you can't go far wrong.

I saw that and thought about way back when you had to set jumpers on the MB and HDDs. Let myself get confused for a second there.

I've found that most questions can be answered in the motherboard's manual. I like the comparison made of building Lego. For the first time it's best to take your time and learn as much as you can.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 12:46:11 »
This is a great video to get you started!

http://youtu.be/W4Js2A1qdB8
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Chromako

• Worshipper of the Topre and IBM Gods
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:27:32 »
It's not bad. Just take your time. I concur that it's mostly like a very expensive Lego set. However, I have a couple suggestions to save you grief and angst:

1: Keep your cat out of the room while the case is open! Fuzzy kitty fur has a way of picking up static electricity, and curious cats like to sniff and check out new hardware. I love my kitty, but she once destroyed a video card this way.

2: Like a surgeon, keep track of all screws, tools, and such that you use. A great way to kill stuff is to drop a screw into your case where it can make its way around and eventually cause a short circuit. If you drop a screw, find it and don't give in to the temptation to just grab another, as you really don't want to get distracted and forget to retrieve the original.

3: It's often easier to assemble the CPU/MB/heatsink before you put the motherboard into the case, unless you have a gigantic heatsink that will block access to motherboard tray mounting holes.

4: Really handy tools that they often don't tell you might be helpful:

Screwdriver magnetizer (if your screwdrivers aren't already magnetized- it greatly helps prevent the dropped screw problem).

One of those extendable magnets-on-a-stick thingies. For when you drop something in a hard to reach place.

Ice cube tray (screws and small bits are easily lost, and they sometimes can be hard to tell apart)

"Spudger," or plastic pry tool. Quite handy for pushing things into place if they are hard to reach, or pushing those PCI-E or poorly placed DIMM locking levers when they are obstructed by cards, heatsinks, and whatnot. If they slip under pressure, there's little risk of them scratching through a PCB trace, unlike a metal screwdriver tip.

Flashlight, or even better, those dorky strap on headlamps. 

Take your time, and have fun!   :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:35:05 by Chromako »
Thou Shalt Not Violate Causality, Nor Shalt Thou Invert Thy Spacebar.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:31:07 »

It's not bad. Just take your time. I concur that it's mostly like a very expensive Lego set. However, I have a couple suggestions to save you grief and angst:

1: Keep your cat out of the room while the case is open! Fuzzy kitty fur has a way of picking up static electricity, and curious cats like to sniff and check out new hardware. I love my kitty, but she once destroyed a video card this way.

2: Like a surgeon, keep track of all screws, tools, and such that you use. A great way to kill stuff is to drop a screw into your case where it can make its way around and eventually cause a short circuit. If you drop a screw, find it and don't give in to the temptation to just grab another, as you really don't want to get distracted and forget to retrieve the original.

3: Really handy tools that they often don't tell you might be helpful:

Screwdriver magnetizer (if your screwdrivers aren't already magnetized- it greatly helps prevent the dropped screw problem).

One of those extendable magnets-on-a-stick thingies. For when you drop something in a hard to reach place.

Ice cube tray (screws and small bits are easily lost, and they sometimes can be hard to tell apart)

"Spudger," or plastic pry tool. Quite handy for pushing things into place if they are hard to reach, or pushing those PCI-E locking levers when they are obstructed by cards and whatnot.

Flashlight, or even better, those dorky strap on headlamps. 

Take your time, and have fun!   :thumb:
this
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Chromako

• Worshipper of the Topre and IBM Gods
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:54:26 »
Ah. One more thing: That little plastic cover that is on the CPU socket? Tape it to the inside of your case so you don't lose it, as it might come in handy some day.

And about the LGA socket: I recommend rolling up your sleeves before taking the cover off. I destroyed a motherboard once when I reached across to grab the CPU and the cuff of my sleeve dragged and caught on some of the pins. One or two pins you can usually repair with good eyes and a toothpick, but this incident was way beyond that.

Learn from my mistakes so you can save money and buy more keyboards!
Thou Shalt Not Violate Causality, Nor Shalt Thou Invert Thy Spacebar.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:58:11 »
Don't use too much thermal paste on the CPU, it is as bad as not using enough. Look up some videos about applying it correctly.

and make sure you ground yourself, don't zap anything with built up static electricity.
http://www.wikihow.com/Ground-Yourself-to-Avoid-Destroying-a-Computer-with-Electrostatic-Discharge
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 March 2015, 14:59:51 by Psybin »

Offline tbc

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:11:44 »
honestly.

installng the software is much more tedious.

DO NOT forget to get the parts for installing software eg ODD if you're still installing from a windows disc.

for the hardware side, don't use the case's front usb ports.  sometimes they are goofy if the drivers aren't installed.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:18:40 »
Will try to build a pc for a friend.watched a lot of instruction videos and stuff and I know where like 90% of the things go. Is it hard to assemply it ?I mean i got general knowledge but never build a whole pc for myself.Been putting in and out stuff for a long time tho.DVD players rams gpus,cpu coolers etc

The only part that seems to be easy to break is putting the CPU in to the socket the wrong way then trying to close the socket latch.. as long as you are careful and pay attention while doing that, the rest is pretty much just insert part A into slot A.. plug in.  You can spend a lot of time making everything neat and tidy and whatnot, but it isn't hard to just get everything set up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:25:13 »
it's probably not worth it..

Buy the $600 4790cpu dells desktops..  hassle free..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 15:51:00 »
It's pretty idiot proof now a days. No dealing with jumpers and cross wires, they really streamlined the process.

The most difficult part (other than figuring which wires plug where) is probably setting your CPU. You need to apply the cooling gel and crushing the CPU into place make the most horrific sound.

Nothing can really go wrong, if it doesn't power on just recheck your cables :)

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:08:21 »
Something I still do, as a force of habit more than anything else, is leave the side off the case after assembly to make sure all the fans spin up. I have never had an issue with a fan spinning up, but it's one of those things that I like to double check when I can.

Apart from that, as everyone else has said, building a computer these days is pretty straightforward. Unless you're getting into custom liquid cooling, it should only take you an hour, at most, to get everything mostly done. Mind you, I spend way more time tidying cables up than most might.

Good luck!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:21:10 »
It does not involve any soldering; thus, unless some components are not compatible, it should be easier than assembling a keyboard that requires SMD soldering, or a non PCB one with direct wiring.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:48:11 »
It does not involve any soldering; thus, unless some components are not compatible, it should be easier than assembling a keyboard that requires SMD soldering, or a non PCB one with direct wiring.

Overclocking is still pretty complicated..

And if you don't overclock when you build your own pc,  you MIGHT AS WELL get the $600 Dell, because  building your own doesn't afford any benefit.

So,  you buy the dell, check the power supply,  slap a graphics card in there.. and you're good to go..

VS...

Buy Parts, wait for parts to come on sale..

Assemble parts,  install software...

Overclocking..  WEEK 1

Overclocking.. WEEK 2

Cleanup.. 

Play Dota

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:50:31 »

Overclocking is still pretty complicated..

And if you don't overclock when you build your own pc,  you MIGHT AS WELL get the $600 Dell, because  building your own doesn't afford any benefit.

So,  you buy the dell, check the power supply,  slap a graphics card in there.. and you're good to go..

VS...

Buy Parts, wait for parts to come on sale..

Assemble parts,  install software...

Overclocking..  WEEK 1

Overclocking.. WEEK 2

Cleanup.. 

Play Dota

Certainly; nowadays, a self built PC worth only if you want to select your own exact components.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 16:53:05 »
Unless you're putting together a mini ITX build it should be easy enough with care taken. Do it on a weekend and don't rush if you're stressed.

Last year I put together the first PC I'd build from scratch. It was a mini ITX chassis and was a PITA to get right due to the size, but I got there. Anything without those size constraints should be more relaxing.

Offline tbc

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:50:25 »
Unless you're putting together a mini ITX build it should be easy enough with care taken. Do it on a weekend and don't rush if you're stressed.

Last year I put together the first PC I'd build from scratch. It was a mini ITX chassis and was a PITA to get right due to the size, but I got there. Anything without those size constraints should be more relaxing.

this is true. mitx can be tough.

even then, it just takes longer as you have to take things out and put them back together in different order.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 19:59:51 »

this is true. mitx can be tough.

even then, it just takes longer as you have to take things out and put them back together in different order.

ideally, for mini-itx.. you'd go all out and get a whole molex kit..  do all your own cables..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 20:03:25 »
The worst part is where you double check everything, then turn it on and ... nothing.

So pull it all apart again, put it back together, and it works!

Be prepared to field tech support questions if something goes wrong!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 21:14:58 »
The worst part is where you double check everything, then turn it on and ... nothing.

Not to brag or anything (ok, absolutely to brag) but of the 20 something PCs I've built over all my years they have all booted up bios correctly the very first time  :llama:

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 21:42:27 »
Um, I totally disagree that it's not worth building your own if you're not overclocking. I'm not OCing mine(I could, both my MoBo and CPU support it if I ever wanted to, I'd just need an aftermarket cooler instead of the stock), but I absolutely could not have bought anything actually worthwhile for what I spent building the PC I got last October.

Gaming PCs are expensive and filled with BS, but you can make a decent enough rig on the cheaper side without any extra flashy BS or ludicrous cost.

I spent about $750 and it would have been just over $500 if my old graphics card hadn't crapped itself, necessitating a new one.

Look at your current computer's components and figure out what you can reuse. Hard drives are usually pullable at least as storage, get a small SSD for your OS install and use that old platter monster for your files. Optical drives can almost always be scavenged, there's nothing fancy or exciting. Depending on type, size, and speed, possibly the RAM. Power supply no, MoBo no, CPU no, coming from a prebuilt you probably don't even have a graphics card.

Basically, don't buy **** you don't need. How big is your old monitor? Big enough? Right cables? Reuse that crap. You're here, your current keyboard and mouse are probably up to snuff.

I reused two hard drives, an optical drive, a replacement PSU I'd gotten my prebuilt, an old copy of Windows 7, my monitor, my keyboard/mouse, really cut down on expenses and I got a much better computer than I would have from a prebuilt.

Putting it together was basically ESD-prone Legos. A lot of stuff is obvious where it goes, and only goes in one way. Read everything. Your motherboard instructions. Your case instructions. The internet.

A note on graphics cards: Watch your case dimensions! Some of the more ridiculous graphics cards won't fit in some midtower cases.

Don't forget to ground yourself. Best practice is anti-static mats and an anti-static wristband, but you can get away with standing off carpet and grounding yourself to the metal parts of the case - Just keep a hand touching the case. I forgot to get a wristband when I built mine, so I just stood on the linoleum in the kitchen and ground myself on the metal. Leave things in their ESD bags until they go in, it protects them. (The laziest computer setup I've ever seen consisted of components lying on a sheet of plywood in ESD bags. This is not recommended ever, rofl.)

So yeah. It's doable. The first thing my computer did when I pushed the power button is beep to let me know it passed POST, then tried to load Windows from my old hard drive, which of course failed spectacularly. A quick trip to the BIOS and a CD in the drive got my Windows 7 install up and running on the SSD and my computer mostly working. My graphics card didn't quite make it, but it was older anyway so I just replaced it and all the crashing and rebooting the computer was doing in games the first day went right away. :P
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 22:26:49 »

Not to brag or anything (ok, absolutely to brag) but of the 20 something PCs I've built over all my years they have all booted up bios correctly the very first time  :llama:

I've built at least dozens of PCs out of various components I had lying around.  Servers too.  All pretty much just worked.

But the one time I set out to research and buy all the parts new, to build a new gaming rig from scratch, the above did actually happen.  After reinserting everything, it all just worked, and kept working, performing its duties faultlessly.

But the first time I poweredonned it, nothing.  Just completely dead.

Having gone down both routes, I prefer to buy a ready-made PC.  Much easier.  Less time-consuming.  Usually comparable price (with a lot less time wasted researching specials on individual components, their compatability etc.).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 22:42:27 »

In that field, DOA (dead on arrival) does happen. So sometimes it's just a bad part and not your fault. Just worth keeping in mind.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 01:48:54 »
 :p I got the exact same question when I assembled my first compute.
It is not hard at all.. the hardware part.  It even easier than play Lego.  The software part is sometimes very painful to install in some motherboard.
But it is still easier than assembly a keyboard  :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 07:50:49 »
Nothing to add except to reiterate that bit about checking and double-checking that each little thing (both mechanical and electrical) is attached and connected properly. The majority of pieces will only go one way anyway, but there can always be something like a hard drive connected for data but not power.

And I agree that getting all those fussy little wires such as the front panel connectors is the hardest part, but I have big fingers and weak eyes.

I will also take this opportunity to complain that each generation of mobos seems to have fewer and fewer slots, especially the small-footprint ones.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jamster

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 08:41:23 »
I've built hundreds of the things in a past life (come to think of it, pre-internet when it was not common knowledge). It is close to piss-easy these days, and I know fifteen year old kids who have done it largely with instructions from the net.

I would add one more thing to the discussion though- it helps if you have access to friendly expert advice for if something does go wrong as otherwise you will waste hours and hours looking at the wrong things. Case in point- a friend's kid put a PC together recently as part of a school project. He was fine except he spent hours trying to troubleshoot a problem which turned out to be really simple- his motherboard would only boot with an even number of memory modules installed. This is a pretty obvious thing to an experienced builder, but he couldn't figure it out as a first timer.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 10:06:59 »
Nothing to add except to reiterate that bit about checking and double-checking that each little thing (both mechanical and electrical) is attached and connected properly. The majority of pieces will only go one way anyway, but there can always be something like a hard drive connected for data but not power.

And I agree that getting all those fussy little wires such as the front panel connectors is the hardest part, but I have big fingers and weak eyes.

I will also take this opportunity to complain that each generation of mobos seems to have fewer and fewer slots, especially the small-footprint ones.
Motherboards nowadays have the same principle going on as most smartphones; everything in one device.
If you want you can just pop in an CPU, RAM and mount an M.2 SSD and have everything else taken care of by onboard solutions.
Gone are the days of sound cards, video cards or even ethernet cards. :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 10:30:18 »
Gone are the days of sound cards, video cards or even ethernet cards. :P
Sure, but they are still available if you want them.

Most PC Gamers get extra video cards because of performance - many games more or less require good cards.
Audiophiles get sound cards mostly because those are more shielded than integrated audio, even though some more recent motherboards have better separation and shielding of audio as a special feature.
M.2 slots on motherboards are still unusual but there are also lots of PCI-e cards with one or multiple slots available: M.2 has better performance than SATA and you save cabling and drive slot.

Offline Hiroyuki

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 15:57:05 »
I built several computers in the past as well, pretty straight forward as most people here have stated. You should take some precautions against static electricity though, either grounding yourself as mentioned earlier or regularly discharging any static built up by touching some metal surface in your chassis or something else large conductive that can absorb the charge. You wouldn't want components made for 1-3 V experience a sudden surge of 60000V from your fingers ;) it sounds scary but if you just make a habit to touch something large and conductive before your touch sensitive components you're pretty much set. Good luck with your build and feel free to message me if you have any questions

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 20:00:01 »
Gone are the days of sound cards, video cards or even ethernet cards.

Ethernet cards, yes, mobos finally have decent ethernet connectivity.

But I depend on my sound card and video card, that built-in stuff is OK for little old ladies but not power users.

And I am not a gamer, but I am an audiophile.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 03:27:22 »

But I depend on my sound card and video card, that built-in stuff is OK for little old ladies but not power users.

Yeah I realize that. Currently running an Asus soundcard but since my next build is going to be µATX with just a single PCI slot I'll probably have to drop that. I have even been looking at using an external amp but since I am not a headphone user that might be a bit overkill for now, especially considering the speakers I'm using.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 03:54:40 »

If your an audiophile, isn't the idea of using a PC for audio stuff kinda dumb anyway? Regardless of what you do your always going to hit some sort of digital compression...

Offline Nikelu

• Don't read this!
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:51:55 »
Could I try to take out my own parts and put them back in? +a bit of cleaning to reason it? Or is it dangerous?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:53:20 »
Could I try to take out my own parts and put them back in? +a bit of cleaning to reason it? Or is it dangerous?

Nothing wrong with that if you have a working PC already.

Just make sure you discharge any static before you touch anything, and make a note (and even a few photos) of what is connected where before you start unplugging.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 04:59:41 »

Just make sure you discharge any static before you touch anything, and make a note (and even a few photos) of what is connected where before you start unplugging.

I have friends that swear blind about anti-static bands... but growing up building pc's learning from my dad who did  the same since they were a thing... I've never once had an issue with it

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 05:03:43 »

I have friends that swear blind about anti-static bands... but growing up building pc's learning from my dad who did  the same since they were a thing... I've never once had an issue with it

I had an anti-static wrist strap, but the rubber corroded on it years ago.  Shows how long it is since I built a PC!

Either that or I regularly touch the PSU or metal part of the case.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 05:10:50 »

I had an anti-static wrist strap, but the rubber corroded on it years ago.  Shows how long it is since I built a PC!

Either that or I regularly touch the PSU or metal part of the case.

fair play if you can build a pc not constantly bang your knuckles on the metal case haha

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 07:56:34 »

If your an audiophile, isn't the idea of using a PC for audio stuff kinda dumb anyway?

Regardless of what you do your always going to hit some sort of digital compression...

You are right, I am a "music lover" rather than an audiophile. I am too old and my ears are not good enough any more to really discern the most delicate subtleties of sound.

But I do have a decent sound setup on my computer (Creative Elite Pro) and it is connected to my stereo so that I can rip vinyl, etc.

But, most importantly, I have tens of thousands of .MP3s on a hard drive that I can enjoy without even standing up from my chair.

PS - that static electricity stuff is something that only happens occasionally, but, when it does, OUCH!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 31 March 2015, 08:22:48 »
Fair enough :P yeah I'm with you I has a shoddy setup for audio but use all onboard though having a sound card for ripping vinyl etc makes sense