Author Topic: Does anyone understand UFC ?  (Read 2673 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Does anyone understand UFC ?
« on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:15:36 »
So, from what I can tell, they're allowed to punch each other and also elbow each other during wrestling locks..

Why isn't that the Default option in these situations.

What rule is in place where they're not allowed to just knock each other out while on the ground ??

205037-0

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Does anyone understand UFC ?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:21:45 »
You can't do 12 to 6 elbows, but otherwise you can.
It's easier said than done though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:28:45 »
You can't do 12 to 6 elbows, but otherwise you can.
It's easier said than done though.

12-6 is pointed elbow going down..

But they're allowed to do sideways elbow going 12-6 directionally.

My point is,  you'll see them do 1 or 2 of these, then STOP,

Why Stop,  is what I don't understand,    and also why is the guy on the ground not elbowing back.. ??

The guy on top, couldn't he just keep throwing the elbow until the bottom guy taps out (or is knocked out)..

I just don't understand the procedure here..  relative to either a rule or (style) ??

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:53:54 »
I don't know why they don't throw more if they are able to. But there is no rule that says you aren't allowed to  throw more than two elbows.
I'd need to watch the fight again, I was a bit tired. Comes on pretty late here.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:57:29 »
I don't know why they don't throw more if they are able to. But there is no rule that says you aren't allowed to  throw more than two elbows.
I'd need to watch the fight again, I was a bit tired. Comes on pretty late here.

Yea it's confusing..

With regular boxing,  it's easy to understand because No one can take a head hit too many times,  so they have to spend alot of times zoning and spacing each other out,  which necessarily limits the amount of punching..

But with UFC,  When the fighter goes down into locks,  there is no zoning really, because where's the bottom guy going to go, he's going to be in the same place,  (RELATIVE) to possible punching from top..

So, this part is what I don't understand.. as why there is ever a pause in punching/ elbowing when ground is involved..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 10:42:44 »
So,  right here..

They're wrestling,     Top guy does  1x elbow, then STOPS, 

The bottom guy's head is not going anywhere,,  why did the guy on top STOP elbowing..

What's going on here...

205041-0

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 11:55:47 »
I can tell you from experience that a lot of what is going on isn't readily evident to anyone.  The top guy is really just trying to stop the bottom guy from getting into an advantageous position.  It's not really to knock out but to distract and get him to release since the top guy can't do anything else with that hand to improve his position.  Haven't seen the match, but it's possible that the bottom guy just secured enough of his leg to be ready to shift position, and so the guy had to change tactics.  From what I can see there, the top guy, while appearing that he has control, really doesn't.  The bottom guy has more control.  There have been several situations where the guy on top, seemingly in control, while the guy at the bottom seemed to be completely out of it, loses the match because of unseen movements.

REF: Studied and fought in Shidokan circuit for a few years.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 07:23:39 »
Remember hearing it cited that UFC is safer than boxing because you get hit in the head a lot less over the course of a career.

I haven't watched much UFC because it's always on at 5.30 in the morning here and I'm not that invested to stay up and watch it. I used watch a lot of K1 when it was on Eurosport in the 90's and that was pretty brutal. Saw a dude get smashed in the face with a knee by some preposterously tall and long legged Russian kickboxer he looked like he'd been hit by a truck afterwards.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 11:40:38 »
I can tell you from experience that a lot of what is going on isn't readily evident to anyone.  The top guy is really just trying to stop the bottom guy from getting into an advantageous position.  It's not really to knock out but to distract and get him to release since the top guy can't do anything else with that hand to improve his position.  Haven't seen the match, but it's possible that the bottom guy just secured enough of his leg to be ready to shift position, and so the guy had to change tactics.  From what I can see there, the top guy, while appearing that he has control, really doesn't.  The bottom guy has more control.  There have been several situations where the guy on top, seemingly in control, while the guy at the bottom seemed to be completely out of it, loses the match because of unseen movements.

REF: Studied and fought in Shidokan circuit for a few years.

This right here pretty much sums it up; dude on bottom is going for advantageous position, dude on top is trying to prevent it; pretty sure back of the head hits are fouls also or something like that. You definitely have to be cognizant of that kind of thing; because "I didn't mean to" doesn't really count.

Also, I don't believe there is a rule that you can't knock out the person if you have the chance to while you are on the ground. There's just a ton going on. Everything has points, if the guy diving on bottom manages to get the other guy on the ground, that'll be take down points; as well as whatever position he gets into afterwards; as well as points for connecting blows I believe.

K1 has different rules, like I think you can do heel drop kicks to a person on the ground, not sure that that kind of thing is allowed in ufc.

Offline jameshouston135

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 09:14:07 »
Just watch and enjoy ... Khabib smash MacGregor that was amazing

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 13:00:19 »
Yes, I understand it. Idiots submitting brain damage to each other in a contrived and dishonourable way.
Already as a small child, I had learned that only a scumbag would hit someone who is lying down.