Author Topic: How to dimm a LED?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Geroximo

How to dimm a LED?
« on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 09:41:11 »
Hi mates,

How do I dimm a LED?
Not a keyboard LED, but a LED which I want to use for ambient light.

I want to use a single LED diode to ambient light my keyboard drawer and power it through USB.
The light should be very dimm.
How can I achieve that?
Just use a stronger Resistor?

Offline Tactile

Re: How to dimm a LED?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 10:05:35 »
To reduce the brightness, you're right - a larger resistor value.

To make it variable brightness requires extra circuitry.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 11:15:07 »
Thank you very much.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 05:12:38 »
Thank you very much.

It's called PWM

Thank you for making me finally research how PWM actually works :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 17:54:17 »
A simple potentiometer should work. It's a variable resistor, so it will work like a dimmer switch that can change whenever you'd like without changing the circuit.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline Tactile

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 18:36:50 »
A simple potentiometer should work. It's a variable resistor, so it will work like a dimmer switch that can change whenever you'd like without changing the circuit.

Yes, but it should have a resistor in series to ensure that the minimum resistance when the pot is turned down does not go outside the LED specs. I've zapped a few LEDs and I don't like that plastic smell they emit when they fail.  :p
REΛLFORCE

Offline notbrain

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 19:20:55 »
If you don't want to go the resistor route, you can also just coat the LED in some transparent black paint. Or a trick from my modeling days is to get some dark nail polish and don't mix it--use the clear dark liquid as paint or mix a small batch of transparent by separating out the color and extra base (clear). You can dim more by adding coats until it's as you like it.