Author Topic: How to hold thumb ball? TP4?  (Read 6309 times)

Offline typo

How to hold thumb ball? TP4?
« on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 19:29:59 »
I never rest wrists typing. If I do not rest wrist for thumb ball I lose complete control. Although resting my wrist on it hurts. What can I do? I refuse to give up this thumb ball though. I worked to hard to get it. See, it is a Japan JDM model. Thank you

Offline theKM

Re: How to hold thumb ball? TP4?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 22:15:38 »
I don't know which specific trackball you mean, but do you mean palm rest or wrist rest?... people usually mean palm rest, and depending on angles, weight on your palms/wrist joint can hurt for sure. If you can come up with something that can support your arm further up, that might be what your after... kinda like this thing... https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61VsbLzuOKL._SL1000_.jpg

For example, arms on my chair support my whole fore-arm for a nice angle for them to reach trackball/keyboard, there's no weight on my palms at all.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 01:26:53 »
I am using just that, But I also have a mouse wrist rest just behind the thumb ball to bring my hand up to the height of the thumb ball. It tents very high. should I just do away with that? I think the bare table is going to hurt much worse? I think the trick is to learn to float my hand like typing and actually put no pressure on the mouse wrist rest simply using it as a "guide'? Or will that possibly cause potential medical issues? I do not see why since my hands are nowhere near the wrist rest during typing. AFAIK resting ones wrists is very bad? Sorry for so many questions. You would think I would know this after 40 or so years typing. Actually, perhaps one of those "beanbag" Imak rests would suffice? I can try one. There must be 1000 of them in a box downstairs.  Please just let me know if you recommend that. Thank you

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 04:33:41 »
It turns out that for me at least no arm rests at all and an Imak beanbag wrist rest on the track ball seems best thus far. No pain yet. I have been using it for several hours this way. I have a custom made "rocking" wood wrist rest on the keyboard but I never rest my wrist my wrist my wrists while typing. I must rest my wrist while using the thumb ball but as lightly as possible. At least the Imak does not put much pressure to begin with. So my say Noon I should know if this works.

Offline yuanyasmine

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 02:23:15 »
does it work?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:35:15 »
The logitech mx ergo has the tilt, kind of like tenting,  and there's a version where it comes with a stand for even higher tenting.  But really, a wedge of wood would work just as well.

Wrist angle is the problem, when it comes to trackballs.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:07:02 »
Mine is a much better device than Logi. Great idea though TP! I will put a shim under it. I knew you would have the answer. Than I can just rest my wrist on the table. Thanks! Oh, Yua it was okay but TP's idea is going to be much better. The Logi tenting is great, I have one of those. the issue is this JDM thumb ball is just on a different planet compared to Logi. The issue is indeed it's tenting does suck though. Otherwise they nailed it on this one. It is about $550USD on the street in Japan! To get it here cost me I am not even going to say. You will call the men in white coats!

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 15:43:43 »
The wrists need no rest, but the hands are helped by positioning at the right level.
qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 21:01:23 »
Exactly. Pointing device is not the same as keyboard.