Author Topic: Mac mini back from the dead!!  (Read 6987 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Mac mini back from the dead!!
« on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 21:43:14 »
So, I have a mid-2011 Mac mini (2.5 GHz Core i5, dual-core) that has been sitting on a shelf for a while. A couple of years ago, it went belly up. I sent it into a place that repairs logic boards, and received it back, fully functional. After about a month, it went belly up again. Sent it back in, and they fixed it again (warranty repair). Then, 3 months later it died again...and so I threw it on the shelf.

Fast forward to today. Read a random thread where someone referenced heating up a logic board in the oven. Considering the fact that the repair company simply did some re-soldering, I figured why not give the oven and try and let all that solder re-flow a bit.

7 minutes in a 350 degree oven. The Mac mini is now ALIVE!! (I'm currently installing Sierra on it)

Hilarious!

Offline dante

Re: Mac mini back from the dead!!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 21:53:49 »
^_^;
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 08:56:21 by dante »

Offline Altis

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 22:55:23 »
Hmm that is interesting.

The 2011 17" MacBook Pro is plagued with logic board issues. There was a lawsuit so Apple would "fix" them until this month, but the fixes would fail too.

I wonder if it's the same thing.

I've been wanting to get a 2011 i7 quad 17" (the last 17" model made) but the logic board failures make it such a risky buy. I'm not sure the screen would do well in the oven, though, so it'd have to be removed.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:18:18 »
That is hilarious!  I guess we should count our blessings since my wife's 2009 Mac Mini is still going strong with none of that logic board issue.  **knock on wood**

Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 06:11:33 »
I had to reflow my thinkpad T40's mobo many times to fix bad soldering on the GPU.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 08:52:59 »
Check back with us in a couple months.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 02:11:27 »
I wonder how long it will last this time ...

Typed on my late 2009 Mac mini which has been opened twice, once to upgrade the RAM and once to replace the HDD (for more space, not 'cause the other one failed, which it didn't).

And it just keeps on going :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 16:35:13 »
The death of my mother's beloved mac mini was the minute I switched to PC building again. After diagnosing the issue, it was another melted / badly soldered on-board Radeon. Opened the bad boy up, not only is everything soldered (which I already knew), everything has proprietary connectors as well ffs!!!

Build a PC. Dead memory, SSD, gfx, whatever? Change it. Simple as that.

But good to hear it's working fine for you! Just remembered my of my recent crossing.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:12:50 »
My 2010 MBP still is running really well.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 17:40:06 »
but how's the smoke detector
I love Elzy

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 18:03:35 »
I just want my laptop to be faster, and not wait for 5 minutes to do work worth 1 minute

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 07:53:27 »

I also have a 2010 MBP that is running well. All other Mac devices in the house have issuues, unfortunately.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 14:33:41 »

I also have a 2010 MBP that is running well. All other Mac devices in the house have issuues, unfortunately.

My Macbook Pro 2011 is still going strong, but man I'd really like something with a higher resolution. And also not freezing and lagging and fanning loudly.... Goddamnit

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 14:56:21 »

My Macbook Pro 2011 is still going strong, but man I'd really like something with a higher resolution. And also not freezing and lagging and fanning loudly.... Goddamnit

just gotta clean them fans.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 11:23:23 »

Mac's thermal design is not made to be put under load. There is no single mac that remains silent when doing more intensive CPU load. They are only silent when you browse kittens.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:01:12 »

Mac's thermal design is not made to be put under load. There is no single mac that remains silent when doing more intensive CPU load. They are only silent when you browse kittens.

Or when you're browsing with kittens.

Offline mousouchop

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 20:26:58 »

Or when you're browsing with kittens.

I literally read this comment, while browsing (these forums) with my cat in my lap. On my MBA. hah