Author Topic: Tech Report reviews the Type Heaven  (Read 5046 times)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Tech Report reviews the Type Heaven
« on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 10:34:34 »
http://techreport.com/review/25558/topre-type-heaven-mechanical-keyboard-reviewed

Pretty informative/ entertaining review from these guys, he even gets into some of the patent stuff.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Tech Report reviews the Type Heaven
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 10:54:37 »
Good read! The Type Heaven is definitely no realforce but it's a really decent keyboard, I gave mine to my mom! She likes it.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 11:09:10 »
Yeah, this reviewer really gets it. He just covers so many good points and does a great job of conveying something that most of us struggle to articulate.

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 11:13:18 »
Nice review!  I am typing on my Type Heaven right now...  I have tried for two weeks now to type without bottoming out and I cant do it with this board.  Interesting to read the reasoning behind the switch design was to avoid that but I dont thing many can type quickly without bottoming the Topre switch.
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:28:52 »
Yeah... I sure cannot seem to prevent bottoming out very consistently. I suppose he is right that you don't bottom out in quite the same fashion as you would on a scissor switch or rubber dome though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 12:38:58 »
repeated bottoming-out causing damage to tendon sheath... this could be true.. but who's really typing that hard.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 13:42:26 »
repeated bottoming-out causing damage to tendon sheath... this could be true.. but who's really typing that hard.
It is hard to avoid bottoming out on Topre. That is the biggest reason why I don't use it.
🍉

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 13:48:39 »
Maybe its from bottoming out on crap boards and scissor switches for so long I dont seem to mind it.  Its not like I smash the keys but I definitely bottom out the majority of the time. 

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 13:52:35 »
It's not so much about pure force as it is about repetition, hence Repetitive Strain Injury.  But extra force sure doesn't seem like it would help.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 23:46:26 »
It is hard to avoid bottoming out on Topre. That is the biggest reason why I don't use it.

Bottoming out on Topre sounds so nice :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:33:24 »
The "Thock" is one of the big reasons I wanted to try Topre!  Have to say its much nicer in person vs sound clips.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 15:07:27 »
Review is horrible. Biased trash.
Mentions everything good (1. It has Topre switches. fin)
Nothing bad (1. Non-removable cable, 2. Rubber cable, 3. crap ABS caps (which he praises?), 4. Much worse build quality than almost every Cherry board, excepting maybe the iOne. Even the BW is better built)
Also, his spiel on Browns being scratchy is complete bollocks. He claims to type at 129, and I challenge any 100+ wpm typist to tell me if they can feel 'scratchiness in the knuckles' when they type. Most garbage statement I have ever heard.

I can completely understand why, though. He got a free $150 keyboard, I would probably suck off praise the board also if I was going to lose my job for badmouthing a company giving techtips free stuff.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 15:33:22 »
Nothing bad (1. Non-removable cable, 2. Rubber cable, 3. crap ABS caps (which he praises?), 4. Much worse build quality than almost every Cherry board, excepting maybe the iOne. Even the BW is better built)
Also, his spiel on Browns being scratchy is complete bollocks. He claims to type at 129, and I challenge any 100+ wpm typist to tell me if they can feel 'scratchiness in the knuckles' when they type. Most garbage statement I have ever heard.

I can completely understand why, though. He got a free $150 keyboard, I would probably suck off praise the board also if I was going to lose my job for badmouthing a company giving techtips free stuff.

Have you used a type heaven?  I have used one, along side a realforce and hhkb.

It's not all that bad. I mean it's no realforce but for the price it is a decent entry level topre board.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 16:02:14 »
Not strictly about the review, but I think that cross section of the Topre switch is off:

Looks like they have the plate in the wrong place,  compared with this one.

I wondered if type heaven put the plate in another place but their picture with the caps off looks the same as most other Topre boards to me. Yes, I am cursed with a new found awareness of Topre. If I am not careful I might end up joining the third reich, or whatever those master racers are.

edit: nm, its just odd picture style, the first just doesn't show all the housing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 November 2013, 16:09:58 by RabRhee »
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 18:34:36 »
Every time I read something about Topre switches it makes me interested in getting a board with them. Outside of the feel of the switches, one of the things that has interested me is that people say that Topres are a lot quieter. I'm using a board with red switches right now and even when I don't bottom out it makes some noise.

Offline kaiteoki

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:57:54 »

Have you used a type heaven?  I have used one, along side a realforce and hhkb.

It's not all that bad. I mean it's no realforce but for the price it is a decent entry level topre board.
did you notice any difference in the switch feel between the type heaven and the realforce.
for me my type heaven doesn't feel as smooth as my realforce 104ug.
the type heaven seems to force me to bottom out past the actuation.
While my realforce seems to not have that characteristic.
Also it seems like my type heaven is noticeably more heavier than my realforce is.