Author Topic: Is this a good gaming keyboard or too cheap?  (Read 4088 times)

Offline mrmusicmr

Is this a good gaming keyboard or too cheap?
« on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 00:58:05 »
Looking for a good keyboard for gaming without spending a bunch of money.  Is this gaming keyboard good, bad, or just ok

Thanks!

And for everyone who will jump on me, yes I did do a search but the posts were very old.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 02:51:54 »
Quote from: mrmusicmr;572112
Looking for a good keyboard for gaming without spending a bunch of money.  Is this gaming keyboard good, bad, or just ok

Thanks!

And for everyone who will jump on me, yes I did do a search but the posts were very old.

There is some irony in that it's clone doesn't get very good reviews (The Ozone Strike). TBH unless you need a numpad get a cm storm quickfire rapid (tenkeyless) but I think you haven't yet read the wiki and guide which I suggest you do as with mechanical keyboards you want to try get the right switch (although you wont but it will be close if not perfect). The meka is pretty decent though has some nice features just read the reviews of the ozone strike and meka to be sure.

As a guideline FPS favours red and black switches, RTS blue and brown. But that isn't to say that that's how it works for YOU. I favour blue switches atm but really want browns again for instance. Safest first switch is brown imo.

Other than that what do you want out of your keyboard? typing pref? gaming style? what do you think this is gonna do for you?
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Gupux

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 02:56:45 »
I would just disregard all of these so-called gaming products. In general their quality seems to be vastly inferior to the "regular" brands and all they bring to the table is flashy logos and maybe some macro buttons (as a gamer I have never used those even when they were available). One exception however would be the CMstorm Quickfire Rapid's as they are a heavily branded version of Filco tenkeyless. They have the flashy look of a "gaming" keyboard with great quality. Not to mention the cheap pricetag. If you're willing to pay like 20 bucks more you really can't go wrong with the CMstorm.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 03:07:59 »
My roommate is looking for something similar, but he insists on programmable macro keys and backlighting. I desperately am trying to steer him away from rubber domes, but sadly my powers seem to have no effect. If anyone has suggestions feel free. I think he would love o ringed reds.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 04:09:43 »
Quote from: noisyturtle;572164
My roommate is looking for something similar, but he insists on programmable macro keys and backlighting. I desperately am trying to steer him away from rubber domes, but sadly my powers seem to have no effect. If anyone has suggestions feel free. I think he would love o ringed reds.

just get the k90 Vengeance

Offline mcbrite

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 04:18:32 »
Don't buy cherry blacks, get reds all the way... They are better in every way!

If your looking for cheap: I bought used keyboards with black switches for like 3 euro a piece (ebay)... Payed 15 Euro for 3 keyboards and shipping...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 07:34:55 »
God, reds are terrible, Blue is the only MX-switch worth getting.

Offline mcbrite

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 07:36:43 »
Quote from: tp4tissue;572303

A comment like that in a thread CLEARLY looking for a gaming keyboard is bordering on retarded, sorry... Everybody knows that blues are the worst switches for gaming.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 07:44:59 »
Quote from: mcbrite;572304
A comment like that in a thread CLEARLY looking for a gaming keyboard is bordering on retarded, sorry... Everybody knows that blues are the worst switches for gaming.

Yeah, because everybody knows that feeling when you have pressed a key and when you didn't is useless when you play a game. Your post is just as much a personal opinion as tp4tissue's one.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 07:49:08 »
Well, there is the hysteresis thingie with blues.  But I've only read about that ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline mcbrite

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 07:51:04 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;572313
Yeah, because everybody knows that feeling when you have pressed a key and when you didn't is useless when you play a game. Your post is just as much a personal opinion as tp4tissue's one.

It IS useless in a game... You always bottom out while gaming so there is ZERO point in having tactile feedback. You may tell yourself otherwise, but that's bollocks if you look at it objectively. I know because I used Blacks, Blues and Reds for gaming... Especially for FPS the blue switch is USELESS! Like edging around a corner or jumping onto a thin railing is way easier with red switches...

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 08:22:26 »
Quote from: mcbrite;572319
It IS useless in a game... You always bottom out while gaming so there is ZERO point in having tactile feedback. You may tell yourself otherwise, but that's bollocks if you look at it objectively. I know because I used Blacks, Blues and Reds for gaming... Especially for FPS the blue switch is USELESS! Like edging around a corner or jumping onto a thin railing is way easier with red switches...

I agree with mcbrite. If you plan on playing any game with a double tap and you have a hard time NOT bottoming out, then have fun waiting for the mx blues to pop back over it's actuation point. The blackwidow which comes with blues was not only the worst mech board i've used quality wise but also the switches were just terrible. I was playing a game called Metal Assault which was a metal slug MMO. In order to dodge roll bullets you had to double tap AA or DD and i constantly got caught up on the actuation not resetting in time for how fast i was hitting them. With clears/reds/blacks/browns. No problem at all. It's that separate slider & the tac bump the blues have all in conjunction with its weaker spring. Browns are next to blues on being hard to double tap but they dont nearly falter as much as blues due to their small fingers. Clears/blacks have 0 problem because of their spring strength, and reds are linear so it works great with the spring that it shares from brown/blue.

Not saying blue is a bad switch, i love typing on blues much more then my clears. But when it comes to gaming you're just putting restrained access on your self due to their double-tap actuation delay.

Although, no matter what anyone says. They will debate otherwise, the cherry keys are like a country and geekhack is the world. It's just a matter of time until we all bomb each other. All while topre farts in your general direction.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline stingrae

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:30:52 »
Quote from: mcbrite;572319

Sure for double tapping I rarely ever just hit the tactile bump but that doesn't mean I don't ever. Anyway this has turned into a flaming mess of opinions, the op should research and go with their gut feeling.

I will add my personal view in that I find tactile feedback good in rts titles but honestly I only use my reds when my fingers are tired or I haven't put my quickfire back on my desk after uni (now). The thing is unless you are 16-20 year old or job straight out of school type, your gaming hours tend to be less than your typing hours. I feel the mx brown switch fits this niché perfectly. People also have different tolerances my fingers aren't going to handle blacks any time soon. One can manage on a lighter switch but buying a switch you might be strained on is just silly. If you find all normal keyboards to be fine and not tire your hands blacks or blues are likely going to be lighter and fine. Mind you if you never have had a mechanical board, the first one will usually be like amazing.

I realise tp4tissue's next post is yet again going to be browns r worst switch. It's getting a bit old and seems very much like he has no perspective just a blanket statement because they weren't for him.

I found red switches to be overhyped comming from a brown board and I found blue switches to be much nicer comming from a red board. Having blues has made me better at typing on the reds but by no means do I feel like using them every day for progamming.

I think if I didn't do a lot of typing aside from gaming and favoured fps titles I would go for an mx red switch. Otherwise browns, seriously may be jack of all trades and master of none but as I said I believe they fill the gap perfectly. Also the clicking of blues is a little annoying at first to some people (I kinda hated it at first but now I really enjoy it for the most part).

Good Luck again OP...

Offline iBro

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 13:16:51 »
I feel that the GH community doesn't really buy into the "gaming keyboards"

Most of the keyboards that are labeled as "gaming keyboards", are usually cheaply made, gimmicky, and flashy. I feel that most of the GH community instead values well built products, that aren't gimmicky, and don't rely on a "wow factor" to get sold.
Unicomp Space Saver (buckling spring) Silicon Graphics (dampened cream alps) KBC Poker (ghetto reds)

Offline Squelos

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:17:56 »
Why do people keep saying blues are bad for gaming ?
You cant ride the bump on blues, but they still are good.

Plus, most people want "gaming" board, because they believe they are better than regular boards. And this clearly isnt the case.
Most people think they are gamers, but when they think about it, I believe they also type quite a bit. Emails, school, work, most people actually type a fair bit, asides from gaming ...

You dont turn on your computer just to play, do you ? At least not many people do so ...

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:26:40 »
thats a pile of junk

Offline stingrae

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:30:42 »
Quote from: Squelos;572616

Plus, most people want "gaming" board, because they believe they are better than regular boards. And this clearly isnt the case.
Most people think they are gamers, but when they think about it, I believe they also type quite a bit. Emails, school, work, most people actually type a fair bit, asides from gaming ...

You dont turn on your computer just to play, do you ? At least not many people do so ...

I so agree what's silly is how proper typing technique isn't given much priority in some schools. Given how much homework is done on PCs it's shocking.

People who 'just' game tend to be on consoles.

Gaming peripheral hype is a pain but I loved finding gaming mice...as for gaming keyboards; over-rated, useless feature lists and want to dazzle you with flashy lights. I don't think things have to be bland but there's not a lot of good things about gaming keyboards especially when people have to adjust because the keyspacing is different to their last keyboard which is where cherry mx boards shine..

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:33:04 »
From what I felt when I tried it out in my near computer store except it was a g1 that the black switches are pretty high quality and its a pretty decent keyboard.

I use a Blue switch Qfr and its fine for fpses and other games the only thing I see that would be a problem is the click but since I wear a headset everytime I play or use the computer period.

I think if you get a qfr with blues you'll get the most out of your money since its the best for typing period plus it'd be your first mech.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:35:02 »
A Reds board, either a CMStorm Quickfire or Rosewill RK-9000RE, is your best bet.  Red switches are the champions if you can't transcend Cherry into Topre Sheol.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:35:28 »
Where are the mods now...?

Switch is a personal preference. If someone likes blues for gaming, he likes blue. Stop raging over it.

@OP, you may want to decide on a switch type that sounds the best for you and then pick a board according to that. The Meka is a ok board, I guess. People here will recommend a fortitude of other keyboards. CM Storm, WASD and others.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Reptile

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:40:05 »
Quote from: tp4tissue;572303

Useless. I vote to ban him

Sent from my mobile
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:49:14 »
OP  I own MEKA G1 good quality solid build super thick usb only come in black cherry :(

I think is a very good keyboard.

Offline iBro

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 16:28:10 »
Quote from: Squelos;572616
Why do people keep saying blues are bad for gaming ?
You cant ride the bump on blues, but they still are good.

Blue switches are probably "technically" worse than a linear switch for gaming, mainly because of the high re-actuation point. But that is really minimal. In reality, you can use any switch you want, and it will be perfectly fine for any situation.

And keep in mind that for RTS and DOTA style games it may actually be more beneficial to use a blue switch, because it allows you know with certainty that the action you were trying to do was preformed.
Unicomp Space Saver (buckling spring) Silicon Graphics (dampened cream alps) KBC Poker (ghetto reds)

Offline Squelos

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 11:13:37 »
Yeah, riding the bump on blues is pretty hard. I dont even try it.

But then, I also game from time to time, and it really isnt an issue. They come back up so fast, its really a false issue. And they are really nice for typing on.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 April 2012, 01:00:27 »
In the market at this moment, too many clones out there, means not too many choices.
Gamers (like me), still need to trade off between functionality, layout & quality in the mechanical keyboard category.
So better choose you switch first, rather than anything else.
Because the one you like may not have the type of switch you prefer.
Just my 2c.

Offline type_dancer

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 April 2012, 21:56:15 »
Quote from: seferphier;572198
just get the k90 Vengeance

Heh, my husband and I were just looking at that one but it is a hybrid. The F keys, Macros, and Insert grouping are all dome while the rest is Mechanical. How odd is that?

What do you think of it?
1-20-1993 Model M 51G8572 & Corsair Vengeance K90