Author Topic: 7-sided die  (Read 2379 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
7-sided die
« on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 18:32:20 »
I was trying to think of something that I imagined no-one would actually make, like a 7-sided die, to use as an example in a conversation.

I googled it just in case, and it turns out it is an actual thing.

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/7514/Impact-Opaque-Yellow-Black-D7-Dice

What's the weirdest thing that you can think of that should not logically or practically exist, but does.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: 7-sided die
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 18:34:29 »
$200 Japanese engineered rubber domes.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 18:37:46 »
$200 Japanese engineered rubber domes.

I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 18:55:56 »
I was trying to think of something that I imagined no-one would actually make, like a 7-sided die, to use as an example in a conversation.

I googled it just in case, and it turns out it is an actual thing.

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/7514/Impact-Opaque-Yellow-Black-D7-Dice

What's the weirdest thing that you can think of that should not logically or practically exist, but does.

It's easier just to make a 7 sided rod..

That dice is frivolous engineering..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 21:59:08 »
Then he started thinking about dice.

1-sided die?  Doesn't even make sense.

2-sided die?  Think: coin.

3-sided die?  Can't picture that.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 23:42:24 »
If people wanted to be practical, then they could use an RNG app installed on their phone.
However, there are some things which are appealing about physical dice where one wants all their RNG stuffs to be of the shape of a die.

Tactility - on this forum, I need not explain why this is valuable. Even if one said a faceted rod would still satisfy this, there is some amount of joy and suspense in seeing a die bounce around erratically.
Aesthetic - a collection of dice with similar designs - albeit different amounts of sides - makes things quite appealing
Storage - dice with similar dimensions can all be lined up neatly in a compact form of storage. (i.e. dice tubes and dice trays) Elegance of storage shares similar thoughts to aesthetics, though this does also appeal to those who value organization.

If you don't know what I'm trying to get at, then look at this picture and judge whether or not any of it makes sense after that
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 21:55:54 »
I keep my dice in a little bag.

But this thread is not just about dice - it is about the most unusual thing you can think of that shouldn't or couldn't exist, but which actually does.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 09:00:04 »
Something that shouldn't exist?

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 21:55:14 »
Something that shouldn't exist?

Show Image

Made for a good game though.