Author Topic: What a world..  (Read 3481 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
What a world..
« on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 21:31:33 »
Purchased usb 3.0 hub on Ebay.

Received a usb 2.0 hub..

Plug hub into computer,  recognized as a usb 1.0 hub .

Tranfer speed 1mb/s

What percentage of this CON could they possibly get away with.. hahahahahahaha

Offline Coreda

Re: What a world..
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 23:06:00 »
The surprising part of this to me is there are still 1.0 hubs available somewhere.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 00:28:37 »
What percentage of this CON could they possibly get away with.. hahahahahahaha

Most people don't know 1 from 2 or 3 so long as it works, and those who do, they will offer a partial refund instead of sending it back, either way they are barely losing anything more than the shipping costs.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 08:35:33 »
I went on ebay, this seller offers instant refund..  no send back.. 

No wait either,  you just click and you get refund.. so they probably did this on purpose.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 10:56:03 »
I hope the instant refund doens't stop you from leaving a no star negative feedback, it's well deserved!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:36:27 »
Buy a real USB 3 hub such as this one. Pricey for sure though. Also there is a Amazon Basics branded 7 port USB 3.1 hub for a fair bit less that looks pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-10-Port-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Additional/dp/B00JEPIOOQ
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:38:49 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:39:29 »
Buy a real USB 3 hub such as this one. Pricey for sure though. Also there is a Amazon Basics branded 7 port USB 3.1 hub for a fair bit less that looks pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-10-Port-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Additional/dp/B00JEPIOOQ

Can't use that one.

I need one with the individual switches.. sigh.... none of them seem to have good reviews..

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:46:24 »
With some diy skills you could have individual switches for each port.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:49:23 »
Just recently, weren't you crowing about an online purchase that erred in your favor?

Some days you are the bug, and some days you are the windshield.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 15:35:36 »

Can't use that one.

I need one with the individual switches.. sigh.... none of them seem to have good reviews..

I've had the this Sabrent one for almost 2 years,it's worked pretty well,the link is for the one with the power brick option,you can also buy it without the brick which is what i have.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 17:31:36 »

I've had the this Sabrent one for almost 2 years,it's worked pretty well,the link is for the one with the power brick option,you can also buy it without the brick which is what i have.

Ordered... Hope it no Xplodz

Offline JP

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 17:58:02 »
Yep, the power brick version is the way to go.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 20:01:31 »
I think the blue LEDs alone are enough to grant a 1 star rating.
Now you still have to pull out the iron even with a working hub.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 20:52:31 »
I know all about computers.

If you have 3 spare USB ports, then buy 3 USB 1 hubs and connect them one to each port.

Multiplied by three you then have USB 3!

That's "USB 3" with an exclamation mark for emphasis, not 3 factorial btw.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 22:03:51 »
At least they are diffused, rather than retina burning.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 22:14:11 »
At least they are diffused, rather than retina burning.

In a dark room they are rather bright,otherwise not really noticeable,plus all you need to do to dim further is run a black sharpie over the edges of the switch.

Offline typo

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 02:30:15 »
With Ebay you can win huge or lose huge. It is sort of a Gambling operation. Mainstream stuff I get on Amazon. Other stuff I get from the makers of the product in question. I have means but I absolutely will not do private auctions on Ebay. You find out a Van Gogh Is fake you be singing the blues. Usually if it is someone you know on something like Jay Leno, Bezos etc. probably no problem but getting no deals then. I hardly use Ebay. You could have paid $5 more and got the right one on Amazon.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 12:54:19 »
With Ebay you can win huge or lose huge. It is sort of a Gambling operation. Mainstream stuff I get on Amazon. Other stuff I get from the makers of the product in question. I have means but I absolutely will not do private auctions on Ebay. You find out a Van Gogh Is fake you be singing the blues. Usually if it is someone you know on something like Jay Leno, Bezos etc. probably no problem but getting no deals then. I hardly use Ebay. You could have paid $5 more and got the right one on Amazon.
Ho boy...
Amazon, is RIPE with fakes, in fact, since Amazon is relatively new by comparison, it's still learning how to fight fake listings.
How bad is it? Doc Martin pulled ALL of their products because Amazon couldn't keep the fakes off, and they weren't alone in this. They would report a fake and 5 minutes later another popped up, and you can't even count on stuff from Amazon itself as they had fake designer purses sitting on their shelves (to be fair, this happened to Walmart as well).

Worse, Amazon doesn't appear to be doing a whole lot to stop the fakes, they only started cracking down on fake reviews this year. How good is that fight going?
Go look for an Apple Magsafe charger. Many claim to be an "original" or "oem" charger, it only takes a split second to see that all but one or two sellers are selling fakes, and many that look legit are using Apple photos to sell fakes. Worse, one of the top listings I found had over 1000 5 star ratings, but if you look, it had reviews for paint brushes or something and questions about them. Another is selling authentic Apple chargers, but they had all been cracked open and had the cords replaced. Others sold as "new" were simply used.

Also, contrary to Ebay, who despite being slow to take up suggestions, Amazon has no interest in helping the customer in any way, they would rather you send it back and let it go back on their shelves than actually fixing problems. When I asked them for an easier way to spot products that were being drop shipped from overseas or at least an easier way to figure out shipping times their answer was that I could check ship dates on checkout. Yeah, that's great, I have to go through all those clicks to see what Ebay shows me on the actual listing.

Because of all of this, it's been FLOODED with Chinese sellers, with fake goods, worse than Ebay has.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 13:24:32 »
I had no clue about this. I thought sold and shipped by amazon is always legit? Guess not. I do not think amazon CS is too bad. Several times a same day package did not arrive and they refunded shipping. I hope they do not restock broken items. I vastly prefer B&M or direct from manufacturer, I do not shop Chinese Megastores either. If it is a big ticket item and you are sure it is what you want go directly to the vender. I would not be so sad to lose $5 as long as it does not keep happening. I had no idea fake goods. That is not legal at all. Kudos to Doc Martin. I prefer to buy them in a real family owned shoe store. Not something I would buy online anyways. I bet stuff like North Face, Columbia and especially Oakley is a huge problem. It is anywhere though. You can end up with bogus Oakley's at Sunglass hut. It is not Amazon doing it I bet. It is thieves abusing it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 15:26:43 »
It is not Amazon doing it I bet. It is thieves abusing it.
Amazon may not be doing it, but because they profit from it, they are doing little to stop it.

It doesn't help that you can't rate a vendor, only the product being sold. So if a vendor screws you and you leave bad feedback it only effects the one product. If it gets bad, they just relist it and throw up a few good reviews and start again. About the only way to get a vendor blocked is with direct complaints, at which point they just create a whole other account, which is easy to do, especially for Chinese vendors. Yes, too many complaints matter, however fixing a complaint is easy enough by just giving a refund, so long as it's cleared up, no one cares.

Ebay is not much better about this, however all feedback is towards the vendor (which stays once placed), effecting all their listings, not just the one, making a starting over a bit more difficult. Plus, Ebay will remove you for enough bad feedback, without having people directly contact them about it.

I'm not saying Ebay is better, I tend to use Amazon more, especially since I have prime, I'm just saying both are very much buyer beware and that Amazon may not be as wholesome as you think.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 16:03:25 »
It is not Amazon doing it I bet. It is thieves abusing it.
Amazon may not be doing it, but because they profit from it, they are doing little to stop it.

It doesn't help that you can't rate a vendor, only the product being sold. So if a vendor screws you and you leave bad feedback it only effects the one product. If it gets bad, they just relist it and throw up a few good reviews and start again. About the only way to get a vendor blocked is with direct complaints, at which point they just create a whole other account, which is easy to do, especially for Chinese vendors. Yes, too many complaints matter, however fixing a complaint is easy enough by just giving a refund, so long as it's cleared up, no one cares.

Ebay is not much better about this, however all feedback is towards the vendor (which stays once placed), effecting all their listings, not just the one, making a starting over a bit more difficult. Plus, Ebay will remove you for enough bad feedback, without having people directly contact them about it.

I'm not saying Ebay is better, I tend to use Amazon more, especially since I have prime, I'm just saying both are very much buyer beware and that Amazon may not be as wholesome as you think.

I am suspicious of every microsd card no matter where I by it from..

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 21:10:16 »
A few weeks ago. I left a feedback to a guy that ripped me off real nasty. Amazon sent me an email with their TOS and not allowed and therefore will not post. Yes, obviously they have their hand in the cookie jar. Some things you know to watch out Oakley as I said G-shock, Nike lots of others very iffy anywhere except the source. However if you buy an Omega, Breitling or such on Amazon you get what you deserve. Those kinds of items only bought in a reputable B&M, support the stores. Or Amazon and Walmart will take over. Even not so high ticket like a Nike shirt I only buy from Nike. Simply to many counterfeit. If Amazon has knowledge or not.