Author Topic: Topre lovers, brace yourselves...  (Read 92497 times)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
Re: Topre lovers, brace yourselves...
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:44:16 »
Is the quality any better or worse?  I'm actually VERY close to pulling the trigger on the RF and for some reason talking myself out of it.

White/black?
45g/55g/silent?

now this whole new model of topre? very hard to chose an expensive board like this when you are pretty much taking a shot in the dark.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:45:53 »
I'd say so, definitely.

To clarify: I can't comment on whether the quality of a RF will be better or worse than the FC660C, as I've never used the Leo.

However, IMO the quality of the RealForce boards is impeccable. If I were to suggest a RF board to you, it'd have to be the White 55g 87U. Why? Well, I'm on a white kick lately, and 55g is by far my favorite switch. As far as I'm concerned it is the perfect switch to type on.

It's not that hard to choose, if you're willing to lose a invest a couple bucks to try it out. The RealForces have extremely good resale value. If you get one and don't like it, you can sell it here on the classifieds for close to what you paid for it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:57:58 by daerid »

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:46:40 »
I'd say so, definitely.

lol, what is definate?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 16:58:04 »
edited

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 17:12:48 »
I'd say so, definitely.

To clarify: I can't comment on whether the quality of a RF will be better or worse than the FC660C, as I've never used the Leo.

However, IMO the quality of the RealForce boards is impeccable. If I were to suggest a RF board to you, it'd have to be the White 55g 87U. Why? Well, I'm on a white kick lately, and 55g is by far my favorite switch. As far as I'm concerned it is the perfect switch to type on.

It's not that hard to choose, if you're willing to lose a invest a couple bucks to try it out. The RealForces have extremely good resale value. If you get one and don't like it, you can sell it here on the classifieds for close to what you paid for it.

I'm pretty sure you sold me on the white 55g.  One last question.  My favorite MX switch has been the brown, although I do feel like its lacking a little.  Will the uniform 55g be similar to brown?  What is the closest mx switch to compare to a uniform 55g RF?  I realize this may be a stupid question.

Thanks for all the help

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 17:22:59 »
^ergo clears

Browns are more similar to 45g topres imo.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 17:35:29 »
sold, I'm gonna buy it right now.  Thanks guys!

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 17:49:02 »
Where can i buy one? Can someone supply me a link? Thanks!!!!

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 18:00:57 »

if you were talking about the one that I just said I'm going to purchase:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 18:08:46 »
AKIMbO pretty much nailed it. Clears clears are much closer to 55g Topres than Browns, which are more akin to 45g plate mounted Topres (45g non-plate mounted Topres, like the HHKB, I'd say are more like Ergo Clears).

Although, clears are a tad bit stiffer than the 55g Topre.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 18:50:04 »

if you were talking about the one that I just said I'm going to purchase:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards

Sorry. I meant the Leopold topre keyboard. Thanks for the response though. I got a Realforce keyboard a few years ago and sold it. I never really loved it as much as my HHKB one.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 19:11:27 »
Ohh, in that case the link is on page one, first post.  The problem is that if you want one of these right now you have to speak korean, or at least know someone who does. 

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 19:57:35 »
Okay thanks. I don't know why elitekeyboards doesn't sell the newer leopolds. I wish they would. If anyone speaks Korean and can help me out with ordering one i would appreciate it!   ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 19:59:47 »
Okay thanks. I don't know why elitekeyboards doesn't sell the newer leopolds. I wish they would. If anyone speaks Korean and can help me out with ordering one i would appreciate it!   ;D

Get a korean GF

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 20:05:27 »
I'm a woman. I would get a Korean boyfriend first!  :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 20:11:12 »
I'm a woman. I would get a Korean boyfriend first!  :D

except he'd probably steal the board and keep it all to himself? Hm...?

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 20:25:52 »
True. I need to get my hands on one of those. If i got that keyboard i might sell my HHKB but i am not sure.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 08:07:56 »
So did anyone get this yet?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 08:11:30 »

Mine will be here early next week :D
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline morpheus

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 08:25:23 »

Nice. Be sure to do a review here.... ;D

Offline jalaj

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 08:59:45 »

What's the wallet damage for the proxy export?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 09:05:12 »

What's the wallet damage for the proxy export?

cost + shipping...

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:11:03 »
cost + shipping...

I think he was asking about numbers :)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:27:15 »
I'm interested as well boost.  If you do a review could you provide the link here?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:43:33 »
A sub $200 topre board? I am ready to sell my RF!
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Reason

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 14:51:29 »
Wow this board looks AMAZING!
I actually translated a review posted on the Leopold website ( from a guy who actually tested out the keyboard at the offline Leopold store. ) I speak fluent Korean because I was born there and I thought this review was very informative and interesting.
It says...

"I went to the offline Leopold store in YongSan, South Korea to test out the keyboard.
I'm actually writing a review even before its release lol.
First of all, the sales person at the store was so kind and I really enjoyed the free juice they gave me. ( lol wut ) I actually went there to check out the Realforce Hipro but I fell in love with this keyboard here. Hipro was very interesting but I couldn't find the grey version with ANSI layout because they were all sold out. Hipro also did not have dip switches and it just didn't really have the WOW factor. The keycaps were also interesting but it would take quite a bit of time to get used to them. It was quite awkward to type on the keycaps at first. However, the hipro did seem like a fine keyboard.

The REAL deal was this FC660C! When I first typed on it I let out a gasp and immediately thought that "I need to BUY THIS!". I'm currently using a Happy Hacking Pro 2 on a Mac but HHKB2 will definitely feel threatened by the FC660C in the future. HHKB2 is really geared towards the niche market because of its unique layout, but what I really wanted was a more standard layout with HHKB2 type feel. I immediately felt that FC660C is the perfect keyboard for me. The board feel extremely similar to HHKB2 ( typing on it was almost exactly identical to HHKB2 ) and I could really tell that they tried to really translate over the quality and the overall feel of HHKB2 onto this keyboard. Key pitch, shape, body design, the solid feels were all very similar to those of HHKB2. Topre is the maker for this keyboard and keycaps seem to be interchangeable with HHKB2. I really loved the variety of dip switch settings implemented into this keyboard: you can change between the ctrl and capslock keys and you can also change the alt and windows key to one another. I also liked that there is a separate arrow keys on the board with the standard fn switch functions. Also, the fact that they have the INS and DEL key separate on the board shows that they really care about users who do a lot of typing and editing for their work.

The overall look and the color of the board is well expressed in the photos above but they are really amazing. It definitely looks and feels very high end and sexy. The only downside is that they used laser etched PBT over dye - sub for the keycaps but I believe they chose that to reduce the overall price of the board so I can't complain. Most importantly, the typing on this board feels absolutely amazing. If you love your HHKB2 you will probably be 101% satisfied with this board. the +1% comes from... how do i say it... FC660C feels more solid compared to HHKB2. The salesperson explained to me that it's because FC660C uses steel plate mounting compared to HHKB2's plastic. To describe it, it kinda felt like riding a high end German car, like BMW's suspension... It is soft but also sturdy and it feels very stable. It seemed like the keys were less wobbly compared to the HHKB2. I'm not saying that the keys on HHKB2 were really wobbly but I'm just stating that FC660C was just THAT stable.

I also liked that the board uses same weight for the all the keys. The weight is also quite light so you can light touch type like you did on the HHKB. One thing I was disappointed about was that there were no USB hub on the board. There's only 1 mini usb connector to connect the keyboard to the computer. I plug in my wireless mouse receiver in my keyboard so I was a little disappointed. I couldn't really find any other flaws on this board. Boards like this really raise the bar for other keyboards in the market and I was really really impressed. I was planning on buying a full size board but I'm probably going to purchase this board very soon in the future. One thing I really hope from Leopold is that they should release a variety of different keycaps.  I would really like to see non - printed, color windows key, arrow keys, other modifier keys, or even mac modifier keys, or two tone versions... Because the color of the board is very profound, I would like to see keycaps that are of brown or beige color instead of the usual primary colors. I really think that the price is very fair ( Even though I might be a little biased because I fell in love with this board..) and I'm looking forward to its release date. I also would like to see more photos of the showcase girl for the keyboard on the website lol :D You don't usually see models like that..."

I roughly but accurately translated his review..
There might be some errors or typos because I translated it in a bit of a hurry
because I have to go to class very soon :D hope you guys find it useful!

I think I'm definitely going to pick one up when I go to Korea this summer.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 15:10:19 »
Sounds very good indeed. Just hope that by the time it gets to the UK it still works out as a bargain  :p
Sangryool's video (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42501.0) definitely made the FC660C sound better than the HHKB as well. HHKB layout does it for me as my main board though, so the s is going nowhere!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 15:11:02 »
^ WOW. cool review.

Biggest shocker from this is the assumption that HHKBP2 caps will fit. that means i can get a white set of HHKB caps and put the control where it belongs.

still not sure if i want this, a HiPro, or 55g. However, HHKB no longer interests me. PCB mount? WTF just say NO!
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 15:21:43 »
Yup. I'm actually selling my HHKB in anticipation of this. Just can't get used to the layout, and a 60% Topre with arrow keys is just too good to pass up.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 15:48:37 »
Yup. I'm actually selling my HHKB in anticipation of this. Just can't get used to the layout, and a 60% Topre with arrow keys is just too good to pass up.

see i have been using a rubber dome HHKB for years so I have the layout down. but a realforce always interested me more than the Pro 2 because of the function keys and the plate mount. nowadayz (fantastic jaylib song btw) i seem to not need function keys but one thing is clear. **** PCB mounted switches. that **** does not fly. and it really doesnt fly on a $250+ board. to me that is just unacceptable.

yo i see you are in denver. lets try to get a meetup going to test out some topre and various boards/switches
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 16:03:20 »
I'd be down. Gotta be in a couple months though, in the middle of moving :-o

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 00:35:33 »
So essentially, the FC660C is plate mounted but feels like a HHKB2 which isn't?

Also standard layout and arrow keys?

Must.have.now.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline Tastybyte

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 01:08:27 »
:O this is the real deal, folks. I really hope it comes to an authorized North American seller.
Keyboards -
Model M (silver logo)
Rosewill RK-9000RE
Apple Aluminium Fullsize keyboard
Logitech G15 v2 <- Selling this off.

Offline devouringone3

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 10:02:42 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 00:28:06 by devouringone3 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 11:05:03 »
The 45g Topre switch is lighter than a Cherry Red. Unless you are perfect at pushing your Cherry only 2 mm deep every time (which you probably aren't) --in which case the maximum force applied remains 45g-- 45g is the average force required to bottom-out on a Cherry Red, while on Topre 45g switches the "45g" is the maximum required force on the graph (and they average at about just 37-38g, which is less than the Cherry Reds).

WAT? O_o

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 11:07:37 »

Yeah, that's cool and all, but having used extensively every switch I mentioned, I still stand by my statement.

Offline jksteger

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 14:23:06 »
So how could we get one of these NOW?  Would it take ordering via proxy?  Someone local to South Korea to purchases these locally and then sell them to us here at GH?  We need this NOW!  :eek:

I would say I would give my left arm but I need that to type.  Hey, do I really need this kidney? LOL

I cannot wait to get my hands on this!

J

Offline orlando

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 14:31:29 »
Doubt it but I just hope EK will have this when they restock their "High-Profile" realforce.

Offline flacman

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 18:15:51 »
So I asked PC Case Gear in Australia to comment on the FC660C.

Here is what they had to say about it:

We are already looking into this model, hopefully we will have some good news soon!

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 18:40:28 »
Do you guys really want a Korean built keyboard right now?  What if Kim Jung Turd decides to infiltrate the US via keyboards programming them to explode when a certain combination of keystrokes is entered?

Or in a second scenario, since he can't get weapons to work correctly, he hires weapons makers to construct keyboards for Americans.  Since he can't blow us up, he decides to make us all really mad when we get our non functional keyboards!

food for thought!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Topre lovers, brace yourselves...
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 19:02:05 »
North Korean keyboards... That'd be interesting!

Offline flacman

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 19:57:16 »
Do you guys really want a Korean built keyboard right now?  What if Kim Jung Turd decides to infiltrate the US via keyboards programming them to explode when a certain combination of keystrokes is entered?

Or in a second scenario, since he can't get weapons to work correctly, he hires weapons makers to construct keyboards for Americans.  Since he can't blow us up, he decides to make us all really mad when we get our non functional keyboards!

food for thought!

I think a lot of people want Korean mobile phones. You know, like the Galaxy S 4.

Dear Leader Jong Un is going to infiltrate instagram and snapchat D:

counter food for thought..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 21:17:08 »
North Korea != South Korea

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 21:28:07 »

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 21:32:30 »
My 660c will be here tomorrow!!!  Will update with pics and review

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 21:39:43 »
Just got my new N Korean keyboard!

19387-0

Communism's cutting edge innovation!!

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 21:57:02 »

look forward to it

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 01:53:14 »

And a guide how to buy one, please.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 02:11:10 »

*nudge* *nudge*

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 02:23:28 »

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Whatever, I live in Chechnya, according to 'murrican media.