Author Topic: WASD Vs Filco TKL which one to buy  (Read 13480 times)

Offline tmpdev101

WASD Vs Filco TKL which one to buy
« on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 00:52:10 »
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of going for a TKL keyboard and the two choices I have are
Filco TKL (Brown)
WASD (Brown)

What do you'll recommend, the most important aspect for me is the build quality and feel.  I actually dont care about anything else, especially lighting.  I would love to hear from people who have owned both actually.

Plus I noticed that Filco seem to be more widely available and as for WASD the only option seems to be http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/, but here also the browns are out of stock.

Offline Tactile

Re: WASD Vs Filco TKL which one to buy
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 08:39:14 »
The WASD case is difficult to open without scarring it. It's a very nice case, well designed and looks good, but the seam is in the center of the sides. When taking it apart and inserting a tool to unhook the internal clips it's almost impossible to not mar the case. Just about all other keyboards have the case top fully cover the keyboard so to open the case all the tool insertion and clip unhooking happens on the bottom so any scars won't show.

Obviously if you have no plans to open your keyboard this won't matter.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 08:54:37 »
WASD keyboards also have some flex that I dislike. It's very noticeable if you press down around the space bar or Esc. I'm sure it's there on the right side too, but it's been a while since I owned a WASD board.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 10:02:37 »
May I ask what brought you down to these two keyboards?

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 12:34:12 »
My first mech board was a WASD, but as soon as I got a Filco, I gave the WASD away. The Filcos are just more to my taste. I prefer their rounder edges and slightly more streamlined design.

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 17:14:53 »
Are there any good high quality keyboards readily available to consider.  I bought a Corsair used it for only a month, did not like it at all.  I came across KUL and Leopold but even they seem very difficult to get a hold of.

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 18:07:49 »
"Readily available" depends on where you live.

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 18:19:59 »
I live in Australia (Melbourne)

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 19:30:29 »
May I ask what brought you down to these two keyboards?
The reason I asked you this question is because I wanted to know if you were open to other options. You ended up mentioning Leopold which is a brand I had the intention of suggesting — at this present time they make, in my experience and opinion, the most refined Cherry MX production keyboards in regards to build quality and typing experience (i.e. feel and sound). For the money, I think Leopold is a better option than FILCO, WASD or KÛL.

If you are willing to purchase online, the best place to get your hands on one of their keyboards would be at Widebasket's eBay store. He's a reliable and helpful vendor.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 20:42:42 »
Leopold FC750R PD aka the only TKL keyboard with true PBT Doubleshot or IKBC MF87 RGB because of the full CNC aluminium case.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 20:47:15 »
You can also purchase a Pegasus hoof controller for the filco and then it is fully programmable. I don't know of a replacement controller for the WASD  board.

Also a few aftermarket cases available for the filco. 

I really like my filco, but I've never tried a WASD

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 22:10:48 »
Leopold FC750R PD aka the only TKL keyboard with true PBT Doubleshot or IKBC MF87 RGB because of the full CNC aluminium case.

Is the typing feel on leopold better when compared to Filco?

Offline apricot

• life sucks drop out
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 08:01:49 »
Is the typing feel on leopold better when compared to Filco?

The typing feel differs somewhat as Filco and Leopold use different styles of stabilizers and keycaps. Filco uses Costar stabilizers which are by some regarded as better, while Leopold uses Cherry stabilizers which can make the stabilized keys feel slightly mushy. Filco's keycaps are thin ABS plastic in OEM profile, while Leopold uses thick PBT plastic keycaps in "StepSculpture 2" profile which is similar to the Cherry keycap profile. The thicker keycaps on the Leopold can make the switches feel a bit lighter than on the Filco.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 13:32:43 »
[...] while Leopold uses Cherry stabilizers which can make the stabilized keys feel slightly mushy.
Not the case on their current line-up. They feel like clipped and lubbed Cherry stabs.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 17:53:29 »
[...] while Leopold uses Cherry stabilizers which can make the stabilized keys feel slightly mushy.
Not the case on their current line-up. They feel like clipped and lubbed Cherry stabs.

They are clipped so they don't feel mushy, however I can still feel the friction from the sliders so I don't think they are lubed.  Unless they updated in their newest iteration.

But Costar still feel cleaner just doesn't play well with thick keycaps.  They each have their pros and cons.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 20:19:48 »
My WASD TKL has been getting some serious key chatter, only mech I've ever had the issue with. They do have great customer support though, not sure mine is still under warranty.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 21:23:31 »
WASD and Filco roll off the same factory line. WASD is Chevy, Filco is at least Buick, probably Cadillac. Specifically:

Filco pros
-Better quality PCB
-Case made of better plastic, quieter noise resonance
-Filco has standoffs that support the plate-PCB connection, where WASD relies on the keyswitches to support (Yes, that means that specific aspect of Filco is better designed than almost all custom keyboards)

Filco cons
-Fixed USB cable
-No in-switch LED support

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 22:59:20 »
Having owned a couple Filcos in the past, and currently owning 3 WASD boards, I personally think the Filco boards are just better made. I'm probably going to sell my WASD boards (which I never type on anyways) and my MasterKeys Pro S and just go with a good Filco w/ Browns

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 00:56:44 »
Thanks all for your responses, so from what I have seen Filco > WASD.  However the topic of Leopold has also now come up.  Which one is better Leopold or Filco (I'm looking at TKL).  I would like to hear from people who own or have owned both.

Offline riko

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 03:59:26 »
What about ducky. How are they compared to filco boards?

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 05:15:21 »
Leopold boards have much much better stock keycaps than Filco boards. I've found them to typically be a little more quiet than other stock keyboards as well. Better dampening perhaps. Definitely a fan having owned 2 Filcos and 2 Cherry MX Leopolds.

Offline jakecromley

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 09:50:01 »
I've got experience with all three.  I had the WASD with MX clears, and hated the ping.  Traded it for a Filco with MX browns, and I love it.  It definitely seems more solid than the WASD was, and it doesn't have any of that damned ping.  I've heard that the MX clears are to blame for that, but still the Filco just seems like a much better keyboard overall.

But, I got a Leopold 750r for work, and it's better than both.  I do also love the stock PBT caps, I'm considering leaving them on there.  Extremely solid board, and it's got sweet LEDs in the caps lock and scroll lock keys.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 09:53:04 »
Better dampening perhaps.
The full size and tenkeyless units have dampening pads on the stabilized keys. All units have sound dampening mats under the PCB.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 11:30:43 »
It's all the same Shm00t..

Logitech currently makes the best Flat keyboard..

Romer G is superior by far..

Offline riko

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 12:50:15 »

Zero PBT keycaps for it.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 12:58:44 »
Filco fo sure. Still love mine. 
I personally still want to try a Leopold FC750R.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:38:38 »

Wow... something tp and I actually agree on 👍

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 20:40:55 »

Wow... something tp and I actually agree on 👍

Wait... wasn't he trolling?  Are you trolling?  Where are the trolls?  I'm so confused. Just buy a Filco.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 03:08:51 »
I would say Filco, the build quality is very good and I believe it is much more common than WASD, therefore easier to find discussions and troubleshoot :))

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 03:26:29 »
This might be me but didn't and don't like costar stabs because the board had them all they got really disgusting really fast. I not sure why but they where lubricated ((this might not be normal?)) they picked up ever piece of trash and gunk they could! Where a bear to clean! Also I find cleaning to be PITA with costar stabs. I much much prefer cherry MX Stabs.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 08:57:27 »
One thing in favor of WASD is that I can plug my WASD into the PS/2 port. No one else cares about this but I really like that.
REΛLFORCE

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 15:58:59 »
AFAIK The Filco MJ2 supports PS/2 as well. At least, the 4 that I used to own a few years back did

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 16:00:31 »
Wait... wasn't he trolling?  Are you trolling?  Where are the trolls?  I'm so confused. Just buy a Filco.

Most of the time I don't believe he trolls. But I do think Romer-G is a superior switch, if only for the redundancy of having dual-contact points. The feel is pretty damn good as well. The only deal-breaker is the lack of aftermarket PBT caps.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 16:17:47 »
AFAIK The Filco MJ2 supports PS/2 as well. At least, the 4 that I used to own a few years back did

Yeah, they all come with a PS2 adapter.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 17:40:17 »
Thanks again everyone for your responses, so from what I gather from the people who have used both Filco and Leopold, Leopold seems to be the better choice?

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 18:26:49 »
Thanks again everyone for your responses, so from what I gather from the people who have used both Filco and Leopold, Leopold seems to be the better choice?
Yes.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 01:07:11 »
I had both.

All I know is WASD lasted me for a long time... FILCO died on me after 3 months. Maybe I was just unlucky and hopefully they can fix it. Both are still nice regardless (when working) lol.

Offline keycapper

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 23:45:22 »
The advantage of WASD keyboards is that they can be bought without keycaps and with a wide variety of switches (MOD and Zealio and such).

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 00:33:26 »
The advantage of WASD keyboards is that they can be bought without keycaps and with a wide variety of switches (MOD and Zealio and such).

Wished more companies offered this level of customisation, prices will be crazy high though! :p

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 20:51:29 »
After reading the many replies I have decided to go with the Leopold FC750r cherry brown.  Does anyone know where I can get it from apart from ebay?  I live in Australia.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 21:15:51 »
I think for the most part Leopold will feel sturdier and bigger rubber feet and overall build quality is just amazing.  Also comes with stock PBT keycaps.

However just for me I still prefer Costar stabilizer, just feels cleaner for me.

Leopold have stock clipped Cherry stabilizer which is not bad also.  I'll consider it as close second.

In your case if you have no preference in stabilizers then I'd say Leopold would definitely be the better choice.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:28:28 »
Leopold have stock clipped Cherry stabilizer which is not bad also.  I'll consider it as close second.

Really?  I didn't know they come pre-clipped.  Nice.
As much as I still love my Filcos I really want to get a FC750R to try out.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 22:45:57 »
I'm in agreement with most peoples' responses. I own a Leopold, Varmilo and WASD and Leopold makes the best kb in terms of quality, without question.

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:02:46 »
Where can I buy a Leopold from apart from ebay?

Offline jnav

• Macclack

Offline tmpdev101

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 23:39:09 »
Thanks, but what I am looking for is this https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1564 (brown TKL), however these seem to be out of stock.  I live in in Australia.

Offline jnav

• Macclack
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 00:54:27 »
Eek. Sorry somehow missed that detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hyde

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 15:41:52 »
https://mechkb.com/

This is the only Australian keyboard site I know.  They currently don't have Leopold though, but they do have Filco.

:P

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 15:45:18 »

This is the only Australian keyboard site I know.  They currently don't have Leopold though, but they do have Filco.

Malwarebytes blocked that link when I clicked on it  :))
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Hyde

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 06 September 2017, 20:39:32 »

Malwarebytes blocked that link when I clicked on it  :))

lol really?  It's a well known keyboard site though.

Try google mech kb australia and you should be able to find it.