Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 219109 times)

Offline JP

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 12:21:21 »
Put these on my bike last month. My first proper pair of wheels and tires. HED Belgium wheelset with White Industries T11 hubs and 25 mm Continental go fast tires.

201927-0201929-1

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline billm

« Reply #601 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 12:44:37 »
@suicidal_orange-

I lost track of this thread a bit but checked in again this morning because I do in fact have an update.

First off, congratulations on your purchase. I just looked the model up online. That's a good looking bike. Did you get the black or white/green one? That certainly seems to tick all of the boxes you had. Your primary use case is so specific that it kind of fell in the cracks between 2-3 industry categories. XC? Cyclocross? Gravel? Personally I think you made the right choice with a gravel bike.

I wouldn't exactly call 700cx35 skinny, but perhaps you can fit some bigger tires? I was just poking around online and saw a picture of a Rove AL with 45mm knobby-ish tires on it. It's super cool that the bike can take tires that big! The whole "gravel tire" market seems to have exploded such that I can't keep up. The primary design goal seems to be something like, a smoother strip down the middle for pavement riding, but just enough knobs around the sides to get purchase in light mud and various sizes of gravel. Designs to accomplish these goals are all over the map so it's kind of fun looking at them all, though impossible to tell which work best. Perhaps this sort of tire would suit your primary trail a bit better?

As for my bike, I just took delivery of it yesterday afternoon. I was pretty nervous spending that much on something "bespoke" or semi-bespoke anyway, but the first ride confirmed that we got the sizing exactly right. I just took it out again this morning and couldn't be happier, though I am going to make 2 changes- the seatpost is just an old velo orange extra-setback post I had sitting around. I'm going to swap that for a nitto post with more normal setback. I suspected I'd want to do that but I held off until I could actually ride the bike and confirm. The other change is that I have a pair of time clipless pedals that I'm going to use on this bike most of the time. I was trying to resist the clipless, but it just doesn't make any sense. The shiny MKS pedals with the silky japanese bearings will likely move to my commuter, though when I go camping with this bike I'll likely swap them back.

There's a gallery of finished photos of the bike here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmZl6GRj1qC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

another gallery:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmaI8cVjexg/?taken-by=northercycles

Just about exactly 1 year until Paris-Brest-Paris 2019. I better get training!

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2018, 11:04:51 by billm »
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #602 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 19:13:09 »
That was good timing, the green looks great for hiding in the woods though probably not with those tyres :))  Paris to Brest and back is a bit of a trek but would make good use of all those bag mounts, good luck with the training!

I got the black Rove AL and tyre clearance was a consideration, 35s may not be skinny to a road biker but the only bikes I've owned are mountain bikes and they're 50+.  Doesn't help that they're practically slick too.  The problem with tyres is they have to share the space with the mudguards, the only combination I've read of as working are 700x40 WTB nano tyres (which seem to be recently discontinued) with PDW full metal fenders (which are not readily available in the UK)  I thought I'd have a month or so to research before it got wet but it rained a lot yesterday so I had to drive today.  Now debating whether to buy mudguards so I can measure the available space (though I still won't be able to go anywhere safely) or get some tyres so I can get somewhere dirty then find/modify some mudguards to fit around them.  But as you say there are so many tyres it's hard to know where to start especially when size varies with rim width and manufacturers lie, and not consistently at that.

Also considering getting some slightly narrower handlebars as, surprisingly, I spend most of my time on the drops and none on the hoods which just feel weird.  Not sure I'm doing it right but it looks like my thumbs are an extension my arm with my fingers sticking out sideways which is an ergo nightmare.  Might help if I settled on a saddle position so I could properly adjust the bars first though...

... My first proper pair of wheels and tires ...

They probably cost more than my bike :))  Do they ride as good as they look?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #603 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 21:06:10 »
I really like those neutral colors for some reason. It's like the colors say "this bike can go anywhere".

Offline billm

« Reply #604 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 22:48:05 »
Just a piece of friendly advice about the fenders/mudguards- They're a ***** to install. It's worth paying the guy at the shop you buy them from to do it. There are a lot of tricks to getting them straight so that they don't rub.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #605 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 03:12:56 »
Really?  I thought the people complaining in the reviews were all incompetent and as usual 95% of buyers didn't have problems so didn't write anything.  I'll be lucky to find the ones I want at all let alone in a local shop :(

Am I crazy for considering cutting a wideguard around restrictive parts (seatstays/forks)?  An adapted wider guard would allow more clearance and as they're supposed to stay put a bit of sugru to hide the possibly imperfect cuts and prevent them rubbing the frame should work perfectly...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #606 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 04:49:01 »
I thought the people complaining in the reviews were all incompetent and as usual 95% of buyers didn't have problems so didn't write anything.
Correct. Though messing with the glorious feat of German engineering that is SKS will make you swear more than usual.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 06:52:48 »
So more "95% of people suffered in silence but got the job done" - fair enough :))

Turns out there's a pretty big range of tyres and mudguards available in a 'local' bike shop in the town nearest to work so, weather permitting, I will be calling in there tomorrow.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #608 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 07:26:30 »
wew, didn't know the existence of this thread  :cool:
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #609 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 07:47:34 »
So more "95% of people suffered in silence but got the job done" - fair enough :))

Turns out there's a pretty big range of tyres and mudguards available in a 'local' bike shop in the town nearest to work so, weather permitting, I will be calling in there tomorrow.

You could always buy online and have the shop install them for you if your shop doesn't have what you want.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline JP

« Reply #610 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 08:33:43 »
You could always buy online and have the shop install them for you if your shop doesn't have what you want.

True but depending on the shop they might not like installing parts they didn't sell you.

Offline billm

« Reply #611 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 11:25:25 »
Regarding the mudguards- some brands are obviously easier than others to install, but a lot of them require you to drill a hole for the crown or the stays, and you'd better get that in the right place on your first shot cuz there's no un-drilling it.

Another thing that can happen if installed incorrectly is that the metal ends up under tension near the fasteners and it will crack over time.

Plastic ones are a bit more forgiving but they don't work as well and aren't as durable imho. They tend not to provide as much coverage and don't mount as solidly.

The other thing that I like is a flexible mudflap attached to the bottom of the fender. This may not be as practical offroad as it could get hung up on stuff, but riding on tarmac it keeps the road spray coming off the bottom of your tire onto your shoes. I also have a mudflap on my rear wheel, but that's not for me its for anybody behind me.

It rains about 9mo a year where I live, so it pays to be serious about rain gear. Another thing I'm a fan of is instead of a rain jacket I primarily use a rain cape when commuting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2018, 13:35:45 by billm »

Offline Sniping

« Reply #612 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 15:55:49 »
wew, didn't know the existence of this thread  :cool:

I saw some of the bike related posts on your instagram. Where'd you go to get those carbon wheels produced? Sounds like a cool project

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #613 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 18:48:46 »

I could, but I want ones that fit with the biggest clearance possible so by far the best option is having a range available in a shop.  It's not rained yet so plan's looking good...

Regarding the mudguards- some brands are obviously easier than others to install, but a lot of them require you to drill a hole for the crown or the stays, and you'd better get that in the right place on your first shot cuz there's no un-drilling it.

Another thing that can happen if installed incorrectly is that the metal ends up under tension near the fasteners and it will crack over time.

Plastic ones are a bit more forgiving but they don't work as well and aren't as durable imho. They tend not to provide as much coverage and don't mount as solidly.

The other thing that I like is a flexible mudflap attached to the bottom of the fender. This may not be as practical offroad as it could get hung up on stuff, but riding on tarmac it keeps the road spray coming off the bottom of your tire onto your shoes. I also have a mudflap on my rear wheel, but that's not for me its for anybody behind me.

It rains about 9mo a year where I live, so it pays to be serious about rain gear. Another thing I'm a fan of is instead of a rain jacket I primarily use a rain cape when commuting.

Thankfully I'm saved from drilling as there are already holes for mudguards and front/rear racks should I ever want them.  Most of the metal guards look shiny which is unfortunate, hopefully I'm wrong.  There's something reassuring about metal though as with the pedals I seem to be going for looks over functionality :-[

That's a lot of rain!  I first saw a cape (online) today, looks weird and not sure where the front light goes but surely cooler than wearing a jacket and smaller to stuff in a bag so a tempting idea.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #614 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 09:32:28 »
What u guyz buy for Wind Noise..

earplug doesn't work, still noisy because the wind hit the plug..

Hoodie works,  but it's too hot..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #615 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 11:41:18 »
Earphones that are flat in your ear work nicely, like my old Tzar 90 which I use with Comply foam tips.  Note - most of my riding is deliberately not on the road to allow for this, as a responsible adult I cannot recommend them for in town use though I don't take them out...

I went to the bike shop and was disappointed - it's an online shop with basically a collection desk so couldn't see lots of mudguards.  The guy selling them struggled to get past sheeple mentality ("we sell most of these so they must be best") but when I refused the standard shiny SKS ones I was supposed to want he got out a tape measure and actually looked at the bike and I came away with some SKS Blumels 700x53 in matt black which are as wide as my stays could accomodate.

After waiting for them to be delivered I spent two hours in the garden getting very annoyed and came away with just the fork mount attached - the bolt wasn't long enough to mount on the front or back so I had to play with polymorph and make spacers to mount it in the middle.  Another hour at midnight and I had the front supports on and started looking at the back only to discover the bolts wouldn't screw in so I went to bed.  After a trip out to buy a "tap and die set" it was only another 1.5 hours before I got the back one mounted then another fun half hour trying to dremmel off the support ends without melting the guards.

Overall I think billm was right - next time I'd rather pay someone $100 than go through that faff, still not sure they're level!

Currently they look stupid as I can get any finger in between the current tyres and the mudguards, but that bodes well for fitting fatter tyres :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #616 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 17:18:42 »
If you plan to do any useful semi-off-road riding on them you will want at least 2cm of room on top of the tyre. Anything more fitting is just Americans trying to fit a Randonneur fender as tightly on a tire as possible.
If anything gets in between you destroy the fender.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #617 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 01:46:33 »
Put these on my bike last month. My first proper pair of wheels and tires. HED Belgium wheelset with White Industries T11 hubs and 25 mm Continental go fast tires.

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

GP 4000s are sweet, using 28s right now.

Might switch to some skin walls sometime just for the classic look tho :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline billm

« Reply #618 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 13:28:26 »
@suicdal_orange

Congratulations on getting your mudguards installed. @JaccoW is right, the more space between the tire and guard the better. You can fit bigger tires, it helps keep debris from getting wedged between the tire and fender, and most importantly not everything is going to stay straight and true when you've ridden the bike all winter. There's nothing quite like hitting a pothole then trying to diagnose a faint rubbing noise for the rest of your ride.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 August 2018, 13:55:00 by billm »

Offline JP

« Reply #619 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 18:43:07 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

GP 4000s are sweet, using 28s right now.

Might switch to some skin walls sometime just for the classic look tho :p

What's funny is that these rims are wider than most so my 25mm tires look like 28mm tires when compared my friends bike. I've taken this setup off road on hard packed gravel trails and even rode though lots of glass on city sidewalks and I've had good luck so far with these tires. I was also considering the GP 4 Seasons and Gravel Kings for extra puncture resistance.

I think the S Works Turbo Cotton might be a sweet tire for that classic look.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 August 2018, 18:49:46 by JP »

Offline JP

« Reply #620 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 19:03:33 »
I just got a second set of wheels (HED Jet 6's) but this time I picked them up used as they are not cheap. I wanted to see if having an aero advantage would be noticeable. Unfortunately I will be waiting a while to put them through their paces due to an injury  :'(

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 August 2018, 19:06:13 by JP »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #621 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 13:49:42 »
I think the S Works Turbo Cotton might be a sweet tire for that classic look.

Those look good, the only other ones I could find were the Vittoria Corsa G+ but I hear those don't last too long.

I just got a second set of wheels (HED Jet 6's) but this time I picked them up used as they are not cheap. I wanted to see if having an aero advantage would be noticeable. Unfortunately I will be waiting a while to put them through their paces due to an injury  :'(

I noticed a difference when I use my Mavic Pro Carbons over my DT Swiss 1800s, I was getting around quicker but it could of just been because they make the cool wooshing sound so I'd go faster :p

Those are much deeper than my wheels so I'm sure you will feel a difference in speed, I was definitely able to feel the effects sidewinds have when you use deeper wheels though.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #622 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 16:41:42 »
Finally stopped raining so I could wash my bike :cool:
These Fall/Winter commutes get so muddy :confused:

Offline JP

« Reply #623 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 09:27:44 »
Looks aggressive with the seat angle and slammed stem. Not much riding left for me though with the weather getting colder.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #624 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 14:36:35 »
Yeah my route goes along an ocean inlet which gets very windy so I just got used to riding lower and lower, then once I'm in the city I feel safer when big cars pass me.

Ah yeah when it's cold and raining it can be challenging :'(

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #625 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 05:58:04 »
At the risk of being blackballed in this thread, does anybody own an ebike? It seems like a good economical, environmentally friendly way to make short commutes without reaching the destination all sweaty.

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one but balance the practicality, with the initial cost, risk of theft, encumbrance of owning one more thing, etcetera. Any thoughts?

Offline JP

« Reply #626 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 07:34:36 »
At the risk of being blackballed in this thread, does anybody own an ebike? It seems like a good economical, environmentally friendly way to make short commutes without reaching the destination all sweaty.

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting one but balance the practicality, with the initial cost, risk of theft, encumbrance of owning one more thing, etcetera. Any thoughts?

Honestly if you do some serious commuting on a consistent basis this might be a good option plus you can still pedal I believe when you feel like. Risk of theft is always an issue with any bike. If you didn't have an ebike would you drive to work? How far is your commute?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 09:21:54 »

Honestly if you do some serious commuting on a consistent basis this might be a good option plus you can still pedal I believe when you feel like. Risk of theft is always an issue with any bike. If you didn't have an ebike would you drive to work? How far is your commute?

Too dangerous..  we prefer kurplop alive.

Offline JP

« Reply #628 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 15:10:05 »
New frame day  :D Can't wait to get this built up.

207021-0

207023-1

207025-2
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 November 2018, 15:14:22 by JP »

Offline JP

« Reply #629 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 09:31:02 »
New bike day! Not going to let winter stop me also I don't have brakes hooked up  :))

207299-0

Offline JP

« Reply #630 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:17:25 »
Anyone here do any indoor training with training software like Zwift?

207869-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #631 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:33:38 »
Anyone here do any indoor training with training software like Zwift?

(Attachment Link)

is this actually better ?

Once you change the bike seat to a more comfortable wider seat for training, isn't the whole body alignment different anyway ?

What advantage does mounting to one of these racks have ?

Offline JP

« Reply #632 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:45:20 »
What I have pictured is a bike attached to a direct drive smart trainer which replaces the rear wheel of your bike. It is just like riding a bike outdoors except without the cold. There are many types of trainers. Wheel on and direct drive are the two types of smart trainers. A smart trainer such as this can dynamically provide resistance based on a virtual riding experience from training software such as Zwift.

More info: https://tacx.com/product/neo-smart/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #633 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:56:05 »
What I have pictured is a bike attached to a direct drive smart trainer which replaces the rear wheel of your bike. It is just like riding a bike outdoors except without the cold. There are many types of trainers. Wheel on and direct drive are the two types of smart trainers. A smart trainer such as this can dynamically provide resistance based on a virtual riding experience from training software such as Zwift.

These use magnetic eddie resistance, so couldn't you wire up an arduino + stepper/servo to the resistance change cable on a regular exercise bike, and get the same thing ?

The cable just brings the magnets closer or further away from the ferrous metal disk, there's not alot of tech to this.

But i guess the general arduino crowd prolly wear dad-bods and don't bother with xercise ?

Offline JP

« Reply #634 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:23:57 »

These use magnetic eddie resistance, so couldn't you wire up an arduino + stepper/servo to the resistance change cable on a regular exercise bike, and get the same thing ?

The cable just brings the magnets closer or further away from the ferrous metal disk, there's not alot of tech to this.

But i guess the general arduino crowd prolly wear dad-bods and don't bother with xercise ?

I mean sure if you want to go through the trouble of engineering your own smart trainer.  :thumb: There is a lot of competition in this industry so new features and improvements are constantly making their way to the consumer all to improve the experience of cycling indoors which can be quiet boring. The full value comes with the hardware capability in conjunction with the training software used. This fusion helps produce a realistic experience (dynamic hillclimb resistance based on a courses hill gradients and a riders weight, simulate vibrations from riding over bumps, etc) and provides you with data to aid in training (cadence, heart rate, power, dynamic pedal stoke analysis, etc). With the training software you can just ride, race others, or do more targeting training. If you wanted to pedal at a certain wattage for x amount of time this unit provides that accuracy to let you know.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:25:32 by JP »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #635 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:33:48 »

I mean sure if you want to go through the trouble of engineering your own smart trainer.  :thumb: There is a lot of competition in this industry so new features and improvements are constantly making their way to the consumer all to improve the experience of cycling indoors which can be quiet boring. The full value comes with the hardware capability in conjunction with the training software used. This fusion helps produce a realistic experience (dynamic hillclimb resistance based on a courses hill gradients and a riders weight, simulate vibrations from riding over bumps, etc) and provides you with data to aid in training (cadence, heart rate, power, dynamic pedal stoke analysis, etc). With the training software you can just ride, race others, or do more targeting training. If you wanted to pedal at a certain wattage for x amount of time this unit provides that accuracy to let you know.

Wattage, hrrrm.. You could probably infer the wattage from just the rpm.. because you would know before hand the spontaneous resistance given the distance to the eddie generating magnet..

Then as long as your dynamic rpm resolution is something like 10 degrees apart, you'd get a pretty darn accurate number..

I guess they could hook up a roller to the wheel, but why bother with a moving part when a hall effect sensor is more reliable and doesn't move..

Meh... feels like keeb-gimick.. hahahahaha

I guess we can only be sn0b about it these days because of the arduino,  if it weren't for the proliferation of these boards,  we'd prolly still be stone age brochure reading dumbsumers.

On second thought, they're probably using the roller.. all the magnets to trigger hall effect would cost more than a motor, or a cheap encoder.. prolly led

Offline JP

« Reply #636 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 17:33:12 »
Just a few parts. You should be able to make a better one  :) Let me know when that is done and we can do a virtual ride.

207882-0

207884-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2018, 17:43:34 by JP »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #637 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 19:14:19 »
Just a few parts. You should be able to make a better one  :) Let me know when that is done and we can do a virtual ride.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

why all the thinking..   good product.. everyone buy one.

Offline JP

« Reply #638 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 20:03:58 »
That $1k would just be for the trainer, not counting the bike, training mat, fans to keep cool, and a computer to run the app. As far as smart trainers the wheel on models are about half the price but these have some trade-offs such as frequent calibration and tire wear. They can also be had for less when they go for a lot less second hand during the summer time. A setup is definitely feasible on a budget. Also there are other makes and models with different designs. The Neo is definitely on the upper end of the spectrum as far as price. Zwift is just one of the different available apps and has a huge following. If you didn't know, keyboards are actually a much cheaper hobby than cycling (cycling can inconspicuously start out cheap but you can go down the dark rabbit hole spending thousands on a race bike and all of the kit to go along with it). Plus if you later decent you need more than one bike it will really hurt the wallet. If you ever attend a bike race or big group ride you will no doubt see lots of high end bikes costing no less than $5k a pop. Heck a pair of carbon fiber wheels can be up to $2-3k on their own. I know several people in real life who use it extensively during the winter. I don't have a trainer yet but was just wondering if anyone here was into this stuff.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #639 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 20:58:12 »

The regular exercise bikes have mutant geometries and most of them put you at terrible positions that aren't really realistic. People ride these trainers because they want to train on the bike they ride/race/commute on. When you change your position so much with an exercise bike, you start working different muscle groups and the athletic gain doesn't translate as well when you get back on your real bike.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
« Reply #640 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 03:20:43 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Nooo. You should have gotten these.

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline JP

« Reply #641 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 07:42:22 »
Oh the Wahoo Kickr Climb with the indoor grade simulator.  :thumb:

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #642 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:01:52 »
What would you guys/gals consider a good first road bike? I've been looking at fixies etc but I don't want to be "that hipster guy" lol ;)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline JP

« Reply #643 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:20:13 »
I would recommend a Specialized Allez. That is what got me started. You can even pick up a used one for less. Tomasso has some good bikes if you are handy enough to put one together. Also why not both?  :thumb: I have an Allez and an Aventon Cordoba which I can set as a fixed gear or as a single speed. I guess it all just depends on the riding you want to do.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a22070949/specialized-allez-road-bike-review/

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #644 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 08:24:23 »
I would recommend a Specialized Allez. That is what got me started. You can even pick up a used one for less. Tomasso has some good bikes if you are handy enough to put one together. Also why not both?  :thumb: I have an Allez and an Aventon Cordoba which I can set as a fixed gear or as a single speed. I guess it all just depends on the riding you want to do.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a22070949/specialized-allez-road-bike-review/
Looks really cool! When I've done some research by myself the brand Fuji kept popping up, is that a reliable brand or do they just have good marketing? ;)

Offline drewba

« Reply #645 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:22:59 »
I recently completed my first Century which has been a goal of mine for a couple years now. It was an awesome experience!

Leading up to the century I was slacking in my training rides and after a few cramps on ~50 miles rides I wasn't sure if I could finish all 100 miles. At some point I just started telling myself I was going to finish despite having no idea if I was going to or not. I dialed in my nutrition & supplements - Rapid Rehydr8 (salt/electrolyte), Endurance360 (Caffeine + STUFF) & Sports Legs (reduces lactic acid production). I highly recommend Rapid Rehydr8, the other stuff could just be an expensive caffeine pill or placebo but I have no regrets. I tried to stick to real food over tons of gels - uncrustables, cookies, trail mix & fruit was awesome bike fuel. My bottles had 25oz of water & 25oz of gatorade, I had zero hydration issues.

Having my first century be a fully supported ride was amazing - the route was well marked with spraypaint on the road at every turn, there were marked vehicles that we spotted every few miles in case of an emergency, bike failure or simply if you had a question. There were 4 rest stops every 19-26 miles, arriving to one felt like nutting and really helped break up the ride. The route was hillier than I hoped but completely manageable til the third leg - it was 18 miles of straight rolling hills which was a real *****. Unfortunately that leg of the ride was the only time I started getting buzzed by trucks but thankfully I didn't get coal rolled. For the first 50 some miles I was terrified of climbing out of the saddle, because that's exactly how my cramps appeared on my training rides months earlier. I really had no choice during the hills and I was shocked to find that my legs had tons of strength left and climbing out of the saddle was the way to go.

We finished with a respectable 15.5mph pace and I did not hold my buddy back at all. He peeled off a few times during the ride but I don't think he ever learned how to gear efficiently so I was always able to catch up. I did have a few near misses with chipmunks & squirrels trying to kamikaze my front wheel, also my buddy spooked a deer which decided to sprint across the road approximately 6 feet behind me. Otherwise, it was a calm ride through scenic, rural Michigan surrounding by tons of other cyclists helping push you to the finish line. I highly recommend the Apple Cider Century if you're anywhere near Lake Michigan.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #646 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 02:56:25 »

Looks really cool! When I've done some research by myself the brand Fuji kept popping up, is that a reliable brand or do they just have good marketing? ;)

Buying a bike is a lot like buying a computer -- the brand doesn't really matter at an entry level budget. You should instead aim for a bike that's the right size and will fit you well and is built for the purposes you want to use it for. A lot of people will consider gravel bikes for their first bikes since it has most of the speed of a road bike but with the capabilities for off road riding. You should consider an aluminum bike with shimano tiagra or sora if you're buying new. Brand isn't important again, but some of the common picks are Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Fuji.

Offline JP

« Reply #647 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 08:17:17 »
I recently completed my first Century which has been a goal of mine for a couple years now. It was an awesome experience!

Leading up to the century I was slacking in my training rides and after a few cramps on ~50 miles rides I wasn't sure if I could finish all 100 miles. At some point I just started telling myself I was going to finish despite having no idea if I was going to or not. I dialed in my nutrition & supplements - Rapid Rehydr8 (salt/electrolyte), Endurance360 (Caffeine + STUFF) & Sports Legs (reduces lactic acid production). I highly recommend Rapid Rehydr8, the other stuff could just be an expensive caffeine pill or placebo but I have no regrets. I tried to stick to real food over tons of gels - uncrustables, cookies, trail mix & fruit was awesome bike fuel. My bottles had 25oz of water & 25oz of gatorade, I had zero hydration issues.

Having my first century be a fully supported ride was amazing - the route was well marked with spraypaint on the road at every turn, there were marked vehicles that we spotted every few miles in case of an emergency, bike failure or simply if you had a question. There were 4 rest stops every 19-26 miles, arriving to one felt like nutting and really helped break up the ride. The route was hillier than I hoped but completely manageable til the third leg - it was 18 miles of straight rolling hills which was a real *****. Unfortunately that leg of the ride was the only time I started getting buzzed by trucks but thankfully I didn't get coal rolled. For the first 50 some miles I was terrified of climbing out of the saddle, because that's exactly how my cramps appeared on my training rides months earlier. I really had no choice during the hills and I was shocked to find that my legs had tons of strength left and climbing out of the saddle was the way to go.

We finished with a respectable 15.5mph pace and I did not hold my buddy back at all. He peeled off a few times during the ride but I don't think he ever learned how to gear efficiently so I was always able to catch up. I did have a few near misses with chipmunks & squirrels trying to kamikaze my front wheel, also my buddy spooked a deer which decided to sprint across the road approximately 6 feet behind me. Otherwise, it was a calm ride through scenic, rural Michigan surrounding by tons of other cyclists helping push you to the finish line. I highly recommend the Apple Cider Century if you're anywhere near Lake Michigan.

Show Image

Very nice. Looks like a fun ride. I haven't done a century yet, just lots of 50 mile rides as well as a hilly hundred spread over two days. This winter I'll try and get my fitness up and then do a century next year.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #648 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 08:30:24 »

Buying a bike is a lot like buying a computer -- the brand doesn't really matter at an entry level budget. You should instead aim for a bike that's the right size and will fit you well and is built for the purposes you want to use it for. A lot of people will consider gravel bikes for their first bikes since it has most of the speed of a road bike but with the capabilities for off road riding. You should consider an aluminum bike with shimano tiagra or sora if you're buying new. Brand isn't important again, but some of the common picks are Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Fuji.
Tyvm  :thumb:

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
« Reply #649 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 09:20:24 »
What would you guys/gals consider a good first road bike? I've been looking at fixies etc but I don't want to be "that hipster guy" lol ;)
If you have a budget, I would recommend to go with smaller brand like Fuji, an entry level carbon frame and 10/11 speed groupset. Better value for money.

My collection

More