Author Topic: GH Amateur Mycology and Foragers Club  (Read 3906 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
GH Amateur Mycology and Foragers Club
« on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 21:09:30 »
Over the Summer I came down with an interest in mushrooms and mycology, and the past few weeks have been walking around neighborhoods and woody areas snapping pics of all the fungi I meet. I learn more every time and get better at spotting and finding them by the day, although I am still a noob when it comes to identification.
Last month I was finding chanterells and chicken of the woods all around my area, and was hoping to spot some cyanescens or azurescens recently since the weather has been perfect for them but haven't seen any at all yet :(

We got any foragers here on GH? Got any nice pics or tips to share?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: GH Amateur Mycology and Foragers Club
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 01:44:51 »
I get it, most of you never venture outside  :rolleyes:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 10:20:47 »
That morel looks delicious. I have only ever found a few of them, and never more than about 4 at a time.

There were 2 occasions about 20 years ago where I stumbled across vast swaths of boletes, and gathered as many as I could carry. Each time was after a long warm rainy spell in late summer. I tried cooking them in various mushroom-heavy recipes (bolete pie, anyone?) but it was overwhelming so I dried the remainder.

I had a big shaker jar of mushroom powder that I could just shake out like an ordinary seasoning spice. It lasted a few years, but I never found a motherlode like that again.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:45:08 »
I get it, most of you never venture outside  :rolleyes:

Tp4 eats lots of mushrooms..

Lightly cooked, with a little hot sawse.. !!

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:54:19 »
The secret is to find recently dead elm trees. Those morels are so tasty fried in butter.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2018, 17:58:10 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 19:29:15 »
Gonna go out again Saturday and try to find some lobster mushrooms. They go bad so quickly you never see them in stores.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 00:55:23 »
My mom attended an adult daycare for a few years. In the back, there was an old Elm tree. Well, one year she found a solitary morel. She brought it home, realizing what it was immediately (we are not foragers and never do what we were about to do, but morels are hard to mistake--it's easy to tell them apart from False Morels as well). I made sure to cut the stem to be sure it was hollow (I could tell from the pattern it was a true morel, but it's better safe than sorry), and after letting it soak in saltwater I fried it and butter and we shared a meager but tasty treat.

The lone morel was back the next year as well, and we did the same thing. Unfortunately, she left the adult daycare that year due to the owner coming down with a case of terminal a**hole-itis (he began berating her for not coming in much not long after her father died, so she said f*** it and we agreed it would be better off and just let her stay home. Interestingly enough, the reason for his behavior became clear not much longer afterward when the state shut the day care down for tax evasion.)

A bit of warning with those going into mycology foraging: never assume you know what you're doing, even if you do. Most edible mushrooms are very similar to ones that will make you sick or kill you. For example, Destroying Angels and Death Caps look a lot like harmless, tasty mushrooms that grow in the same areas. Destroying Angels and Death Caps are 100% accurately named, and the worst part is the only antidote is hard to come by and does not always work. These things not only will kill you, they bide your time, and by the time you feel something's off it may very well be too late. To add insult to injury, members of the same genus are edible and look almost exactly like them, and the deadly ones taste delicious. These things WANT to kill you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 November 2018, 00:57:35 by Carcharocles »
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 01:08:39 »
It's good you cut it instead of pulling it up, and firsthand saw the benefits of responsible foraging.

and yeah, the most frighting thing being new to the hobby is how much death and poison is out there. get educated and look at lots and lots of pics. Take spore prints before consuming. I read about a group of teens that picked galerina thinking it was something else, the girl died and the two boys wound up on dialysis for the rest of their life.
(also, destroying angel is one of the coolest names for an organism ever)

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 01:35:06 »
It's good you cut it instead of pulling it up, and firsthand saw the benefits of responsible foraging.

and yeah, the most frighting thing being new to the hobby is how much death and poison is out there. get educated and look at lots and lots of pics. Take spore prints before consuming. I read about a group of teens that picked galerina thinking it was something else, the girl died and the two boys wound up on dialysis for the rest of their life.
(also, destroying angel is one of the coolest names for an organism ever)

Well, she didn't have the knife, and didn't know. I wasn't there either time, I don't even know where exactly it grew on the property.

The name "Destroying Angel" is biblical, by the way. It's a translation of the Hebrew name of the angel of death. Which makes it even more ominous.

And yeah, we just don't trust our observation skills enough to get into the hobby. The fact that my mom can't walk for long distances due to paraparesis (basically, a progressive, hereditary form of paralysis that only weakens the legs, with the added bonus of seizures and other problems that I shouldn't talk about out of respect for her) does not help. Also, the fact that we are in disease tick central (everything from Lyme disease, to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and even ticks that make you allergic to red meat), nobody within walking distance sells DEET (we don't have a car and the bus stop is a mile away) and bobcats roam the area despite us being inside city limits (our area is weird) makes going into the nearby woods a bad idea.

As for horrifying tales, there's an episode of Untold Stories of the ER where an old woman (and highly skilled and experienced forager) mistook either a Death Cap or Destroying Angel (can't remember which) for an edible mushroom she loved. The fact that the edible mushroom smelled like fish and the mushroom she ate smelled far more pleasant did not clue her in to what happened. 48 hours later, her liver started failing fast, and she remained adamant that she ate the correct mushroom. Worse, this was when the antidote was only being developed; she was in the US, the antidote was still sketchy and only tested in Germany (by one guy no less), and she was not about to make it through the night. Her doctor basically had to be given step-by-step instructions on how to make it. She's lucky she survived.

My advise wasn't meant to dissuade anyone. Instead, I was trying to say to keep your guard up and--even if you know perfectly well what you're doing--bring reference materials with you to help you and take your time. This is a good hobby for those who know what they're doing, but a slight screw up can really screw you.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 11:14:34 »
What's wrong with pulling a mushroom versus cutting?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 11:18:52 »
Pretty sure this is impossible in Florida--though I've been told that my Grandfather was pretty good at spoting edibles in Indiana.

Offline Blackehart

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 11:20:48 »
Is there somewhere where you can get morels online?
I can only get the usual 4 types around here (white, cremini, portobello, and ****ake...oh and those canned ones found in the asian section but who likes canned mushrooms?).
I've heard morels are tasty but living in a desert area, it's highly unlikely i'll ever run into one ><'
EDIT: I should have noted: Fresh or semi-fresh versus the dried up morels.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 12:00:13 »
go to the asian super market.

they got all this stuff, that I don't know the english names of.

also, if you're just looking for the generic shrooms,  Aldi has the best deal, it's where p00r people like Tp4 shops,  better mushroom deal than even costco..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 13:53:16 »

living in a desert area, it's highly unlikely i'll ever run into one

For one thing, they are generally only found in early spring and for another, they are extremely difficult to cultivate.

Look in a store that has an organic section in about March-April.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 14:44:46 »

Pulling them damages the mycelium underneath, leaving a stub lets the patch regrow. Some other things you can do to help the ecology is by tapping the cap before picking it to drop any spores in that spot. Some foragers even take caps and tuck them into their shoelaces while walking around to spread spores as well. Next year that's my plan, get a bunch of good samples and just walk around the woods in my area spreading spores while looking.

You can order spore prints and syringes online from a bunch of places. Syringes are great for growing certain shrooms you can't get outside of a farmer's market or out of season like morels and lions mane. Mushroom cultivation is super fun and rewarding, with a very accessible price point to get started.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 November 2018, 14:48:21 by noisyturtle »

Offline Blackehart

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 17:08:16 »

living in a desert area, it's highly unlikely i'll ever run into one

For one thing, they are generally only found in early spring and for another, they are extremely difficult to cultivate.

Look in a store that has an organic section in about March-April.
Thanks!

Pulling them damages the mycelium underneath, leaving a stub lets the patch regrow. Some other things you can do to help the ecology is by tapping the cap before picking it to drop any spores in that spot. Some foragers even take caps and tuck them into their shoelaces while walking around to spread spores as well. Next year that's my plan, get a bunch of good samples and just walk around the woods in my area spreading spores while looking.

You can order spore prints and syringes online from a bunch of places. Syringes are great for growing certain shrooms you can't get outside of a farmer's market or out of season like morels and lions mane. Mushroom cultivation is super fun and rewarding, with a very accessible price point to get started.

Dont take the caps?! that's like 90% of the "meat".
something to chew on ><'

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 17:33:38 »
Well usually the shoe trick is with older fruits that have already started to die, or ones that have been partially eaten by bugs. Just because a shroom is ugly and dying doesn't mean it can't still be useful for repopulating an area! I've even seen some videos where people straight up rub caps on their pant legs while walking around to spore an area.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 19:35:12 »
I put all my wild mushroom scraps and cuttings in my back yard. After 15+ years, I have gotten a handful of boletes but I have gotten at least 3-6 baseball or larger sized puffballs over the course of the summer for the last several years.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 04:24:44 »
Thought this bit about shocking mycelium with high-voltage strikes was pretty interesting. (starts at 24:30)